Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #1

Heating your whole coach when traveling

Here in Albuquerque for Balloon Festival and when traveling this morning the temp. was down to 43 and it was time to use Hydro-Hot or Oasis system to heat the coach when traveling without running gen. of diesel burner. Until about 5 years ago we didn't know that with engine assist on Hydro-Hot and I think also ob Oasis lets you set your thermostat to furnace for the whole coach and the 12 volt system will run the hearing system without using gen. or diesel burner. Have never heard this in a seminars or in print. Nice to travel in the 40's and have the coach at 72 front to back. It's getting to that time of the year for this. Most diesel coaches have diesel hot heating systems now.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #2

yes my understanding of the system in my 2018 dutch star is that you can use waste engine heat to heat the coach and make domestic hot water while underway, or with the engine running...but you can't pre heat the engine with the unit. there is a blank space in the control panel, however, for the installation of an engine pre heat switch, and the parts can be purchased and installed to allow it.....

in my tiffin i had the aqua hot 400D. no option for either feature, in the phaetons now, they are using the 450D, which can do both engine pre heat and use engine waste heat for domestic hot water or space heating...
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
OK Tom, thanks for that post. What do I need to do to get the engine to heat? Turn the thermostat to furnace and that’s it? No switch, no valves, nothing?
Thanks
Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Tom, your post is a little confusing. Maybe I misunderstood since u the Newmar expert. The boiler is heated while driving. The heat source is the engine. The heat is stored in the small “boiler” in the oasis unit. Once the engine is off there is no more heat source.

Ok, hooked to 50amp use heatpump to 40. Use elect elements to 35. Diesel burner below this.

Using the engine for heat is not good. Please don’t make me do the physics to prove this. If parked without hookup turn on the burner (if below 60or so) turn on furnace on the controller and sleep happy.

PM me if this is too confusing. I’ve been there.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Tom, your post is a little confusing. Maybe I misunderstood since u the Newmar expert. The boiler is heated while driving. The heat source is the engine. The heat is stored in the small “boiler” in the oasis unit. Once the engine is off there is no more heat source.

Ok, hooked to 50amp use heatpump to 40. Use elect elements to 35. Diesel burner below this.

Using the engine for heat is not good. Please don’t make me do the physics to prove this. If parked without hookup turn on the burner (if below 60or so) turn on furnace on the controller and sleep happy.

PM me if this is too confusing. I’ve been there.
Quite sure Tom is talking about going down the road, not parked.
No one is going to run their engine for heat while parked.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #6

The post is for driving down the road, not when either on shore power or gen. running. When driving down the road your engine heat in coolant is keeping your boiler hot and since your boiler is hot so you can turn on furnace on and heat the coach while going down the road. That is the reason when you get to a RV park you have hot water without using 110 volt heater or diesel burner on. Most have done a poor job explaining how to use your hot engine coolant when driving to heat your coach. Your furnace is power by 12 volt system.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry, my bad [emoji16]
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #8

I did say when Traveling or going down the highway.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure which model you have but I can tell you on our 2017 Ventana, we used the aqua hot to aid the heater up front by setting the thermostat on for the aqua hot and set the temp with the burner switch on. It was nice and toasty driving in the low 20's.
barnegatepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnegatepic View Post
Not sure which model you have but I can tell you on our 2017 Ventana, we used the aqua hot to aid the heater up front by setting the thermostat on for the aqua hot and set the temp with the burner switch on. It was nice and toasty driving in the low 20's.
Pretty sure you have the Oasis, not the Aqua Hot?

In any case, Tom is telling us we don't need the burner on, that the engine will heat our water as we're going down the road.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Pretty sure you have the Oasis, not the Aqua Hot?

In any case, Tom is telling us we don't need the burner on, that the engine will heat our water as we're going down the road.
Correct. Turn the switch off and try it. Engine needs to be warmed up of course.
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - If I can add one comment. Get the engine up to full temperature before using the Oasis to heat the coach going down the road. There is a thermostat that will not allow the heating until the Oasis boiler is up to a certain temperature. Waiting for the boiler temp to come up ensures that the signal to heat is correctly handled. If the boiler is already hot then it's not an issue.
On the Aquahot you didn't have the same issue but the AH often could not warm the coach off of engine heat without diesel assistance.
Tom

Tags
heat, heating, travel