Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #1

Help Connecting Cable TV

I've never used the cable input for the TV in my 2007 Mountain Aire. I am currently in an area where I cannot connect with my DISH Network. I've got the cable connected to the source, but unable to get anything. Before I contact park mgt, I want to be sure I am setting things inside the coach properly. I switched the TV input to "digital tv". Do you select the "SAT" button for TV1 or am I doing this wrong?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You should have a cable TV jack in your electrical bay. If your cable is connected there you should switch your box to "TV-Cable" as opposed to "TV-Sat" for whatever TV you're trying to watch.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #3

Don't forget to switch the input on the tv also.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #4

Sorry, I didn't read it right. My Essex has a switch by the Sat reciever that is labeled sat/ant but I can watch sat or cable by just switching the tv input.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #5

I"ve connected the cable to the jack in the electrical bay. I only have SAT, DVD and VCR selections for each TV in the entertainment area. I do not see a seperate selection for cable.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have a cable/ant connection in a cabinet with a push button switch on it, make sure the switch is foff and the light on it is off. Otherwise it is directed to the antenna on the roof and not the cable input on the side of the RV.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Few occasions I have used a coupler and connected the two cables off the back of satellite box directly together to pick up campground cable. Hooked up to cable at pedestal and into connection in bay. In from satellite and out to tv with coupler. Worked for me. Good luck
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is your Owners Manual go to section 3:12 Video Control unit you have two AUX buttons one of them should be for your cable input for cable that you have hooked up.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Digital TV may have been an error. It sounds like you have the box of many buttons.

First question: Do you use a roof mounted Satellite antenna, or do you use a ground mount? If "Roof" skip to How it should work

Question two: If you use a ground mount did you re-task the park cable input for sat TV or did you run a second SAT TV IN line like you really should? If new line skip to How it should work

If you re-tasked the park cable line for Sat ground mount you will have to restore it to it's original function, Remove it from the back of the sat receiver (And run a new line for it please to make this easier in the future) and re-connect to the CABLE input on the back of the multi-switch.. Select Cable for Cable.

NOTE: I ran my cable (Gasser) down the "A" pillar, through an existing grommet in the fire wall and up next to the brake bell crank and master cylinder, there I put a ground block, out of the weater, easy to get to.. also, See additional suggestions below.

How it should work:

Select CABLE on the multi-switch
First select CABLE (Analog) on the TV and let it scan
Then try CABLE DIGITAL (This is different from digital over the air) and let it scan

NOTE: Digital TV, (Meaning ATSC or over the air digital) will find no stations when using cable which uses a completly different type of digital.

Cable also uses channels that are NOT USED FOR BROADCAST.

Additional notes: If you use a roof mount satellite dish or dome, Consider putting a low cost A/B antenna switch in each LNB line.. A goes to the roof, up A-bove,, B goes to either the Basement or a Bulkhead connector (Or my Brake Bracket ground block) down B-elow (If you notice a plethora of "B" words, that's the mnemonic) A Above, B Below)

The switched connection (C or Common) goes to the receiver.

That way when parked under the evil signal eating tree (You I suspect know about that) you simply hook up your tripod mounted ground mount antenna, slide the switch(es) to "B" for Below and MENU-6-1-1 (you did say dish) enter the zip code for the park, preset elevation and skew, swing it slowly through azimuth while watching a color portable TV, touch up Elevation a bit if needed, SKEW normally is good, and lock it down, back inside run CHECK SWITCH and enjoy.

Final note: Many technicians, in fact Winegard recommend re-tasking the el-cheapo RG-59 park cable line for Sat use when doing sat with a ground mount antenna.

I DO NOT, your problem is but one of the reasons,, (I really like qulity RG-6 which has less than 1/3 the loss of the el-cheapo 59 and only costs a few cents more if any)
Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
And if all else fails get a DVM and start ringing you box inputs to your cable jack in the electrical bay. You may have to use an extended coax from the jack to reach close to the box. This way you will know for sure if the signal is getting to the box and identify the cable. I'd ring the center conductor as thats a solid core wire and most likely to fail.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry is trying to use his camp ground cable that he has hooked up on his coach's cable input to coach.
He now has to select the correct button on his box for both or all his TV's in coach.
TV-1 & AUX, TV-2 & AUX, TV-3 & AUX one of his two AUX buttons has the camp ground cable input.
They will use same AUX button, AUX-1 OR AUX-2 lets keep it simple.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #12

Thanks for all the input. 007 is right, I am trying to connect to the ground cable system and it was a matter of selecting the "AUX" input for cable. I guess when all else fails.....READ the manual.