Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 08:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
HELP - Front STEP stopped working 17 Dutch Star

2017 43' Dutch Star

Closed the door this morning, step started to go in & stopped.
I am plugged into 50 AMP & Ann batteries are fine.

Is there a fuse for the front step?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #2

Steps

Yes there could be two or three fuses. Look in the chassis fuse bay outside under the drivers seat and the house fuses inside. My Entegra had three fuses for the steps. I think my Dutchstar has two.

Mark
Old 07-02-2022, 09:10 AM   #3

If the orange light is on, then the power is good. Try tapping on the motor with a hammer or something. That may free it up. Front run bay under drivers window and bathroom for fuses. Might check in the shore cord bay as well.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Bobby

Thank you

So the step just started working on its own. BUT it goes in all but the last couple inches. I looked under there & see the light. The actuator bar is moving but looks like it stops too soon. Do you think the motor is going bad?
Old 07-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same problem on my 21 DutchStar two weeks ago. The coach had been sitting in my RV port all winter with infrequent visits. Step worked one day then not the next. Stuck retracted. It was extremely hot that day and step exposed to direct sun light, in Florida. Been there, done this before. First step lubricate every pin and hinge you can access. Next step rap on motor and actuator arm with end of a hammer while DW hits open/close switch. Presto. Open. Lubricate more and cycle. Key clue is does the light under step come on when door is opened. If so, it’s a mechanical issue not electrical.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:05 AM   #6

I’ve had some trouble with my ‘16 DS steps too. In working on them I found out that it is critically important to make sure all the pivot points are well lubed. What tells the step motor to stop is a spike in amperage draw detected by the control module. This happens when the steps reach the full out or full in position. The motor and gear assembly is a standard automotive power window unit and a replacement is about $50.00
Eric R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
PROBLEM SOLVED - easy fix
So the step is working but will not retract fully. It goes out full but retracts all but the last couple inches.

So what Eric said - that the controller reads motor amps & that the controller stops the steps retracting when the motor draw amp get to a certain level.
SO - it turned out that working in lubricant (& I had lubricated but not with high quality greaseless lube) to the pivot points on the step is all I needed. I used LPS 1 Platinum Grade Greaseless Lube & the steps are working like a charm.

ALL IS GOOD - Thanks Eric

Tags
dutch star