Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
Please explain how to manually level. I always use AUTO Level.
Also is the procedure the same for a diesel and a gas coach?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
Please explain how to manually level. I always use AUTO Level.
Actually need to know your make and model of your coach, the year built and the kind of leveling system you have to help you with this. Post that information and you will get some help.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #17

Bob,

In your DS storage compartment, you most likely have a KIB DSC100 dual slide controller which is the brains of the full wall slide. Assuming that you do not have structural damage, the first thing to try is programming as stated by 007.

If you don't feel comfortable on your own, call KIB at 574-262-0518 ext 1129 and ask for Terry. He is the guy who knows the Newmar product.

Instruction that he gave to me are with slides in;

Program; retract A; program
Program; retract B; program

If the slides are out, use extend rather than the retract.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #18

We had a similar issue with our FWS, although our site was pretty level. We called Newmar and they conferenced us with supplier ???. They spent about an hour talking us thru the manual reset procedure, to no avail. However, we could extend /retract the slide using the push buttons in the DS storage ceiling to get us roadworthy. Dealer in Phoenix adjusted slide controllers ( two separate motors need to be coordinated ). Had same issue 3 months later / Newmar sent out new parts to be installed by mobile tech. That solved the problem.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Being that I have a 2015 Newmar Ventana on order with a FWS, I am very worried about this happening to me when I get it. We mostly will be using the coach for dry camping on often uneven ground. Does anyone know if this problem was resolved on the 2015 models? Should I be worried since I'll be mostly setting up on dirt and uneven ground?
2014 Polaris Scrambler XP 850
Bobby.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bobby D,.

I have the 4369 model and have not experienced this problem. Since April I have used my full wall slide probably 30+ times with no problem. I have not heard of this happening with large numbers of full wall slide owners.

All slides at some period of their life will have something come up. You should just make sure the coach is level when you deploy your slides.

For me, and this is just me now, I ALWAYS go outside and look at my slides before I deploy especially the full wall slide. What I am looking for is to see if my slide looks even and not pinched either left to right or vertical. My feeling is that your coach should be level before you ever deploy your slides. Now that is not to say the original post here was not level when the problem started, I am just saying a level coach every time will go a long way in reducing problems with your slides.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I reread the Newmar owner's manual again last night because I'm sure that I had read the proceedure weeks ago when we first got the unit.

On page 65 of the owner's manual in a large gray box with a "caution" symbol it states
"It is recommended that the leveling jacks be extended and the unit level before operating the slide out.This slide out can be operated without using the leveling system, but it is recommended to have the unit as level as possible."

Upon looking at the slide this morning I noticed that the upper left corner of the slide is under stress(bending in ) due to the slide topper arm pushing in on it.
I did retract the leveling jacks and tried bringing in the slide the rest of the way but itonly came in a quarter of an inch and stopped.

I don't want to try extending it after seeing that upper corner stressed.
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The problem with using the AUTO Level button if on a unleveled pad is the coach chassis can be twisted as the AUTO level is looking for level to stop.
At times it may keep looking and twist the chassis causing problems with slides and possibly popping out a windshield.

"HWH LEVELING PROCEDURE"

To level a Newmar coach using your jack pad you need to lower the front and rear jacks on side that shows the yellow light. Newmar jack system jacks work in pairs.
The button to do this would be the forward one on the side you need to level, when you hit the correct one you will see both front and rear jacks on same chassis rail lower.
Do not confuse the forward two buttons with the one for your chassis side rail those two buttons raise or lower the forward two jacks if the yellow light shows there after leveling your chassis side rails.
Once you level the rail and yellow light moves to other side rail or goes out than you lower the opposite chassis side rail until you feel coach move up on that side and may have to touch previous first button until the yellow light goes out.
When your on a uneven pad the jack that hits the pavement first will stop until the other jack hits the pavement than they both raise the side rail until its level.
The same thing will happen when you raise to level the other rail.
Now you may have the yellow light in the front or rear of coach you can raise which ever end until the yellow light goes out but its advisable do not over extend the front or rear pair of jacks your can flex the chassis rails and if you have a side door bind the door in its frame so the door does not open.
You never raise coach to lift your rear tires off the ground or you might just damage your jack system.
The jack system is to stabilize your coach when parked not lift coach off ground.

You can check your front and rear jacks to see that they are working together by going outside and look under coach for practice than come back inside and continue the leveling process.
If you have a drivers door your jack pad maybe on floor next to your drives seat so you can level from outside and observe your jacks operation.
The opposite button will lower your jacks.
The reason to raise the pair of jacks on each rail is not to twist the chassis frame as its twisted now from the AUTO Level sequence.
Jack systems are in QT's 1 & 2 here is the 325 system and here is all of the HWH Systems.
Here is the 625 system which is the newer jack systems.
On the 625 system there is a excess slop led to indicate to me do not use

AUTO LEVEL lower jacks manually to level the coach which system will do as I explained, both jacks front and rear same rail wait for lower jack to touch ground before they both raise chassis rail to level.

Now to recap if you have a full wall slide this procedure is what you do before even thinking to use your jack system as authorized by Newmar.

When your air bags are inflated your coach is level so when you extend your FWS the slide box being on a level plain will slip through its opening with out hitting the sidewalls of slide opening, once FWS is out than you put your jacks down, either AUTO LEVEL, if level pad, or lower manually if not.

To see if the pad is level ,when parking, put on the jack pad you will see the yellow light and it will tell you if pad is level enough if light shows either side of coach diagram on your jack pad.
If it shows to front or back your not on a level pad.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #23

So we were shopping for our new unit....a Newmar......and had read some issues on this forum with the full wall slide..... we were close to buying a Ventana w/ full wall slide and I asked the sales person to forward me the written guidance/recommendation on deployment of the full wall slide. I will type the guidance below( I am camping now and cannot turn this paper doc into a pdf or jpeg).
Rich

This is a memo dated October 6, 2014 from Craig Garl to Dave Garl.

"Subject:Full wall slide

Mr Garl,

Up until we started building the full wall slide, Newmar has always recommended leveling the coach prior to deploying the slides. This is still the recommendation unless you have a full wall slide. As you know the motorhome has to be able to flex, and the flexing will be different mainly based on terrain and the coaches fulcrums(tires or jacks). This is normally not an issue for normal sized slide-out but on a full wall slide you have a large box (the slide), inside another large box (the coach) and they both flex, especially the coach.

Currently what we suggest to customers with a full wall slide is once you park the coach, take a walk around the driver's side and look at the "reveal"or "gap" around the slide-out to make sure you have plenty of clearance, and the trim will not rub if you run the slide-out out.(Most likely the gap will look best when setting on the tires and not the jacks). If the gap looks good go ahead and run the slide out. If the gap is tight in one or more places, try leveling the coach to see if that corrects it, then run the slide out. Basically all we want you to do is pay attention to the opening to make sure the slide is not in a bind and change accordingly. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Craig
Garl "
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ok,just wanted to do a follow-up on my slide problem.

I went and purchased a 1 1/2 wrench and pry bar to supplement my tool box selection.

In the meantime I had left a message with Newmar service .

When we got back I looked at the slide drive system and saw that on my particular coach it has two motors.
One motor forward whose shaft drives two cogs.
The second motor is behind the rear wheel axle and has a short shaft driving a single cog wheel.
I was looking at this when Newmar called back.
I explained the situation and they had a mobile service technology here in 30 minutes!

After sizing up the situation he got on the phone with Newmar who also brought online the factory rep.

Somehow the slide programming had gotten out of sync and the front motor was actually ok but the back motor was lagging causing the slide to cock.

After reprogramming the slide controller the front would stay out 1" and clank if you tried to keep retracting it.
Newmar had us tighten the torque but that is located right on the side of the front motor and all is good now.

With both of those issues going on simultaneously I don't believe that I would have figured it out .

Newmar and the local service tech were great!!!!
Besides the Newmar quality ,their service reputation is the reason I purchased this coach.
In the 3 months and 3400 miles we've had it I have never had to go back to the dealer with any issues.

ps- as far as the leveling system goes it still bugs me in that the system that Newmar shows in the owner's manual is NOT the system they installed and mine does not have any "yellow" lights at all.
Other than what forum members here tell me about what Newmar recommends for leveling there isn't any info at all supporting that in the huge black satchel of manuals and instructions that came with my new coach and that is confusing.
But all that being said I am very happy with this coach!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So good to hear how everything worked out.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #26

From what I have been reading you put out slides before leveling,
Please correct me if Im off track.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
That's what everyone is saying now especially for full wall slides.
I just wish my Newmar owner's manual hadn't contradicted that....
Old 10-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Which leveling system do you have trainguy?
As far as proper way to put out FWS that only came out when a couple of Hoots had problems and damage with their FWS's, which I gave in one of the links, and Newmar came out with the proper way that was described in Bill's post.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide