Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Help Gen not Charging Chassis Battery

I just left the Newmar service center and last night while dry camping with only my furnace on I noticed the gen coming on numerous times. When I checked the chassis bty was the reason for the start up. I checked and with the gen running the chassis bty is not accepting the charge while the house btys are. When I crank the engine or when plugged into shore power the chassis btys will charge. When bringing in the full wall slide I always have the gen running but this morning the chassis btys dropped to 11.0 volts. with the gen running
Any ideas will be appreciated
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You have highline coach, don't know anything about it, but check to make sure parameters are set correctly and no lose connections. It would help to know what Newmar did in service so we can discount that stuff, assuming not electrical things.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Rd1

freen03, the transfer switch gets power from either the shore power, or the gen, then directs it to the house. thats where the batts get charged, regardless of house or chassis, or shore power or gen.

if your gen is coming on by itself, thats the AutoGen setting. Have you tried running the gen manually and see if the chassis batt get any charge. if they do, then likely your auto gen setting is not correct. perhaps the charge bridge setting or the chassis batt settings may be off.

as a suggestion, to bring the full wall slide in, it may be easier/better to run the engine, with air bags fully up then bring it in.

to take FW out, if the batts are too low, then shore power or gen. I usually use the batt boost switch and bridge both batts to make sure chass batt stays above 12v for FW going out.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

If you have a BIRD battery isolation system, there is a feature on it that keeps the isolation/charging solenoid open when both the generator and engine are running.

It only effects generator power, not shore power.

The controller has push on spade connections for ignition voltage and a generator running signal, along with a few other wires.

If they knocked them off and miss wired them, that could cause your problem.

Here is a wire diagram.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-10-13-20-22-26.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	263506
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:10 AM   #5
dp7

How were you able to determine that the chassis battery was the cause of the auto gen starts?

The AGS also has a temp trigger. Perhaps the Oasis was set on electric & each time the thermostat called for heat, it triggered the AGS.

Also, I believe Newmar is using the BIM from Precision Circuits rather than the intellitec BIRD. Attached is a data sheet for the BIM.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 00-10021-000-Battery-Isolation-Manager-Manual-RevA.pdf (63.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-14-2019, 06:31 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
You have highline coach, don't know anything about it, but check to make sure parameters are set correctly and no lose connections. It would help to know what Newmar did in service so we can discount that stuff, assuming not electrical things.
Shelves were installed in the basement in the passenger side so a couple of things in the basement compartment were moved and they worked on step solenoids and entrance steps.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
freen03, the transfer switch gets power from either the shore power, or the gen, then directs it to the house. thats where the batts get charged, regardless of house or chassis, or shore power or gen.

if your gen is coming on by itself, thats the AutoGen setting. Have you tried running the gen manually and see if the chassis batt get any charge. if they do, then likely your auto gen setting is not correct. perhaps the charge bridge setting or the chassis batt settings may be off.

as a suggestion, to bring the full wall slide in, it may be easier/better to run the engine, with air bags fully up then bring it in.

to take FW out, if the batts are too low, then shore power or gen. I usually use the batt boost switch and bridge both batts to make sure chass batt stays above 12v for FW going out.
Thanks I have not changed the settings on the AGS but I will recheck them.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:35 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by freen03 View Post
Thanks I have not changed the settings on the AGS but I will recheck them.
Also the chassis btys will not charge while gen is manually run.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post

Where is that located. That may be my problem
Old 10-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
How were you able to determine that the chassis battery was the cause of the auto gen starts?

The AGS also has a temp trigger. Perhaps the Oasis was set on electric & each time the thermostat called for heat, it triggered the AGS.

Also, I believe Newmar is using the BIM from Precision Circuits rather than the intellitec BIRD. Attached is a data sheet for the BIM.
Thanks for your reply
In my Silverleaf it read the reason for starting was the chassis bty. The Oasis was set to secondary as primary and the burner was on
Old 10-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post

Do you happen to know where the BIM is located on my coach?
Old 10-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by freen03 View Post
Where is that located. That may be my problem
The automatic transfer switch has nothing to do with battery charging. Its a 120/240 volt device that decides between shore power and generator power.

It stays on shore power unless the generator is running. Then it automaticly switchs to generator power.

The inverter/charger doesn't care where it gets 120 power from. It just charges the house batteries.

The isolation solenoid is between the house batteries and chassis batteries. That is what decide what gets charged and when.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #13

Had the identical problem it was solenoid valve pretty easy fix.
tmh1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #14
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you have a BIRD battery isolation system, there is a feature on it that keeps the isolation/charging solenoid open when both the generator and engine are running.

twinboats, thats a good point, just curious, what happens when the shore power is on and the engine is also on?

freen03, if you have the same problem with manual gen, the solenoid seems to be the culprit. in your unit it is in the power compartment. in the back of the compartment there is a black platic cover. it is Velcro-ed to the wall, remove it and I think the solenoid in question should be the one on the top right. see pic. I know there is a way to test that, can't remember the step.
[sorry the pic is sideways]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	263564  
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, chassis