Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #1

Help-Inverter Issue

My wife and I just arrived at Naples Motorcoach Resort to enjoy a week on the RV and our inverter (Xantrex PROwatt SW) has gone nuts. This being Christmas eve I don't expect that I will be able to get technical support until the 26th.

The problem is that the alarm is on and nothing I do turns the alarm off. The power switch does not work. I tried to reset the ground fault and it is "dead". Turning the batteries off does not help. I am reluctant to disconnect the negative cable to the inverter based on safety warnings in the manual.

Has anyone experienced this problem and know of a solution? My head is ready to explode from the noise.
Jn1edosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turn off using switch ON THE INVERTER itself (not remote)
Disconnect from 120 volt (Shore power)
Disconnect the negative cable
Enjoy a cup of java (or any delay of 1-5 minutes)
Re-connect
Re-connect
Turn on
NOTE: If this works,, Great, If not your FREE is hearby cheerfully refunded.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #3

Go to a local big box home repair store and pick up a voltmeter. Under $20. Check your voltages in and out of the Inverter and you may get a clue about why it is giving you error messages. Anything we say without some basic data is pure guesswork.

That said the one thing that might work is to disconnect the power cord and disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes or so then reconnect it. That should let the computer in the inverter reset. If that is scrambled it is like any other power off reboot for a computer controlled system. Maybe it fixes the problem and maybe not.

Without reading your manual I can still bet that most/all the warnings are basic lawyerese that boil down to telling you to be careful. The negative side is the safest to remove but get a wrench between an open ground lead and ground and you will still get sparks. It won't hurt to turn off everything in the coach and pull the shore cord in preparation. It removes loads that can draw current and the supply path to the inverter. Loosen the lead, move the tools and pop the lead off by hand so there is no metal waving around other than the wire end you are controlling. Hold the ground lead or tuck it where it cannot get back to the battery terminal or wrap in in a heavy plastic bag or rags to keep it from touching the battery terminal while you wait. It can touch the chassis metal with no problem at that point. You might get a spark when you put the lead back. You will not get a big arc because the voltage is too low. The point is to not dither. Line the terminal up with the battery and then move it quickly and firmly in contact. Then you can use a wrench again.

Until you actually pop off the terminal you have a short circuit to ground that will bypass accidental touching between the chassis and wire. That is why they start there instead of the positive terminal.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there a reason for the alarm? Low or high input voltage? High temperature due to cooling fan or other failure? Is it ok with the output disconnected?

Checking the manual for alarm reasons may lead to the answer.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #5

I had 2 ProWatt inverters fail, just the way yours did. You need to disconnect the negative cable.

You can try re-connecting it but it may lock into fault mode again.

See if you can smell any burnt components. That's a sure sign.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #6

Caution
Magnum issues a caution to always remove positive feed to the inverter before the negative or risk damage to the inverter.
Check your user manual carefully.
My manual did not have the caution but later online version did and Magnum reinforced the caution when I contacted them.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #7
YC1

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have to be here on Christmas Eve..

Check out page 26 if this manual applies. Is there any error code?

Loose connections from the battery anywhere along the line will drive an inverter crazy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Manual.pdf (1.73 MB, 18 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you are in an RV resort, I presume you have shore power. The reset on the GFI will do nothing. The inverter thinks there is a fault (there might be.) For safety sake, first remove the plug that plugs into the GFI as well so that if your transfer switch has failed it will remove the load. I would then disconnect the positive cable or look for the fuse in the positive cable and disconnect that.

When you remove the positive cable the inverter should shut up after a few seconds. If you don't feel comfortable leave it until you can get service. It may reset the fault.

If you do feel comfortable, check the voltage on the positive to negative 12 volt feed. If that is OK, reconnect the cable and see if the inverter is happy (there will be no load and good power) If it isn't you have a bad inverter.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #9

You say the GFI is "dead" Does that mean when you try to reset it that it wont reset? If so, could that be the cause? If the GFI wont reset then there may be moisture somewhere in or around and it can be as little as very high humidity.

Actually I dont have a clue but when you said you were at wits end I felt I had to try to help

Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Since you are in an RV resort, I presume you have shore power. The reset on the GFI will do nothing. The inverter thinks there is a fault (there might be.) For safety sake, first remove the plug that plugs into the GFI as well so that if your transfer switch has failed it will remove the load. I would then disconnect the positive cable or look for the fuse in the positive cable and disconnect that.

When you remove the positive cable the inverter should shut up after a few seconds. If you don't feel comfortable leave it until you can get service. It may reset the fault.

If you do feel comfortable, check the voltage on the positive to negative 12 volt feed. If that is OK, reconnect the cable and see if the inverter is happy (there will be no load and good power) If it isn't you have a bad inverter.
No transfer switch on this inverter.

GFCI is only output, no hard wire connections.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
No transfer switch on this inverter.

GFCI is only output, no hard wire connections.
I understand as I have two Prowatts in my coach. There had better be a transfer switch since the converter ain't going to provide 100 amps under almost any condition. The transfer switch plugs into the GFCI and drops the inverter when it sees AC coming from the panel. The inverter then idles at significantly less than 1 amp.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 975-0588-01-01_Rev-A(Auto Transfer Switch).pdf (217.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
I understand as I have two Prowatts in my coach. There had better be a transfer switch since the converter ain't going to provide 100 amps under almost any condition. The transfer switch plugs into the GFCI and drops the inverter when it sees AC coming from the panel. The inverter then idles at significantly less than 1 amp.
Not sure what 100 amps thru a converter has to do with anything.

You have factory installed ProWatt inverters ?
Old 12-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not sure what 100 amps thru a converter has to do with anything.

You have factory installed ProWatt inverters ?
One is factory installed the other I added. Both have transfer switches.

If there is no transfer switch, the loads will always run off the inverter...and the 12 volt batteries. As such, something will have to charge the batteries...enter the converter. If you draw 1200 watts off a circuit that will be 100 amps off the DC system if there is no transfer switch on the loads...thus the 100 amps.

I would never recommend installing an inverter without a transfer switch...somewhere, either manual or preferably automatic.

Xantrex and Kisae make them and they all plug into the GFCI duplex output of the inverter.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #14
YC1

If turning off the batteries did not help then the inverter is connected to them before the switch.

The GFCI will not reset if it does not have 110 volts to it and because the inverter is howling it probably is not working due to low input voltage.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter