Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #1

Hello my DW and I are looking for a used late-model High-end 5ver. We have a F350 SRW TV and have settled on the Newmar product.
We are looking at a 2000 Kountry Star 34bkwb it is good condition except that the paint around the bottom is very faded, as well the decals are very badly curled and peeling. The interior is very good except for one mark on the front of the entertainment unit and a lttle fading and dirty carpeting.
What should I be on the lookout for specific to Newmar's. This will be our 5th RV as we seem to keep catching too-small-i-tis I can find no damage of any kind, but it does look like it's be out in the elements alot. The dealer is committed to going through it completely before a sale to ensure everything works well and i am considering an offer. He is asking 29K $Can. Can I still get Kountry Star decals and has anyone painted their units. I like to idea of a quality used unit that I can do some renovations on over the years. I have redsigned and rebuilt the entertainment unit in my current 5ver
We want it to tow extensively rather than park and sit in a campground. Would it be unreasonable to expect it to last 7-10 years until we are ready to buy our retirement unit.
Thanks for all replies.
gitane59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #2

Hello my DW and I are looking for a used late-model High-end 5ver. We have a F350 SRW TV and have settled on the Newmar product.
We are looking at a 2000 Kountry Star 34bkwb it is good condition except that the paint around the bottom is very faded, as well the decals are very badly curled and peeling. The interior is very good except for one mark on the front of the entertainment unit and a lttle fading and dirty carpeting.
What should I be on the lookout for specific to Newmar's. This will be our 5th RV as we seem to keep catching too-small-i-tis I can find no damage of any kind, but it does look like it's be out in the elements alot. The dealer is committed to going through it completely before a sale to ensure everything works well and i am considering an offer. He is asking 29K $Can. Can I still get Kountry Star decals and has anyone painted their units. I like to idea of a quality used unit that I can do some renovations on over the years. I have redsigned and rebuilt the entertainment unit in my current 5ver
We want it to tow extensively rather than park and sit in a campground. Would it be unreasonable to expect it to last 7-10 years until we are ready to buy our retirement unit.
Thanks for all replies.
gitane59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #3

New Horizons Owners Club
I have a 2001 33KSFB Kountry Star. I have owned it since 2003 and have traveled with it around the southeast (short trips) and as far west as Texas and Colorado on longer trips. All-in-all about about 15,000 miles.

It has been a good 5er but it has had its share of work. I know painting can be a very good option. I had problems with the gelcoat on the front cap and had the whole front redone, including graphics. The big difference between then and now is that they do not make the Kountry Star anymore so not sure if Newmar has kept a stock of those graphics. But when the painting was done, it looked better than the day I bought it and now 3 years later it still looks better than the day I bought it.

I can also tell you that the rig you are looking at is heavy. Probably very near, if not over at least one of your truck's weight ratings (rear axle, GVWR or GCWR). Be careful.

There is also a really good chance that the fridge in this rig is part of the Dometic recall. Be sure this has been taken care of, it is a big fire hazard.

As for the longevity I think it has a lot to do with how well it is cared for. Newmar certainly uses material of construction that can make it through years and years of use, with a little TLC you can maximize it's life. I am planning on my KS making it to 2012. It will be 11 years old by then. It is six years old now, a little more than half-way and it still looks great and everything works.

But I have to qualify the "everything works" statement. In addition to the painting and fridge recall work I have had to replace all the slide seals (every one of them failed within six weeks of each other). I also developed a leak and after days of trying to track the source of the leak the dealer suggested a complete re-caulk of the roof. That turned out to do the trick, but it was a lot of work getting the old caulk off.

I guess my point is; no matter who makes the rig it is going to take a lot of maintenance to make it last as long as you want. But from what I have seen from my rig, it is very do-able.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I had an `02 Kountry Star (30RKCL) and now have an `05 Kountry Star (35LKSA). The only reason we got the `05 is that this model was being discontinued and the floorplan was not following over to the new models. I am happy we did get the `05 as I think the quality of the older (pre `06) Newmar 5ers exceed the quality of the new ones. (MOHO so don't start flaming me.) We recently looked at the Torrey Pine and decided what we have is much nicer so we are staying with it.

I have had very little problems with both of my Kountry Star units. The `02 had an issue with the shower glass shattering, but Newmar replaced all of the glass which resolved the issues. The only issue with my current unit was the heater squirrel cage fan being out of adjustment and making noise. That was quickly resolved.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the Newmar forum and irv2 gitane59.
Some good advice so far heres a LINK to go a little further. You may be able to add items to truck if need be to carry the load of 5th. Good luck in your quest and post often and the Newmar will stand up against the best of them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote