Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #1

Help! New Batteries, stone dead

Hi all! I'm in a panic and hate asking for help when I'm like this but we are supposed to leave tomorrow.

1999 Dutchstar, Spartan, Cummins 300, Allison.

I've been going over systems and making sure I'm good, but my starting batteries were a little old and couldn't keep up. Tried to start and heard the clicking, tested voltage and they were low, decided to replace immediately.

Picked up my two new group 31, cleaned up all my connections and it's stone dead, not even 4 way flashers.

I feel I'm missing something, a reset? Anyone run across something like this? I'm still learning the coach and mechanically inclined but stumped.

Thank you for any pointers

Gerry
mightys4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightys4 View Post
Hi all! I'm in a panic and hate asking for help when I'm like this but we are supposed to leave tomorrow.

1999 Dutchstar, Spartan, Cummins 300, Allison.

I've been going over systems and making sure I'm good, but my starting batteries were a little old and couldn't keep up. Tried to start and heard the clicking, tested voltage and they were low, decided to replace immediately.

Picked up my two new group 31, cleaned up all my connections and it's stone dead, not even 4 way flashers.

I feel I'm missing something, a reset? Anyone run across something like this? I'm still learning the coach and mechanically inclined but stumped.

Thank you for any pointers

Gerry

Hi Gerry-

I'm a subscriber to "the last darn thing I touched..." model and that makes me think you might have mis-connected your new batteries.

Take a couple deep breaths, have a nice tall iced tea and then go back and take another look at your work.

Since I don't have the quality of memory I once had, I tend to use my 'smarty pants phone' and take lots of pictures to help keep me on track.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mightys4,
Welcome to the Newmar Owners Forum. Consider:
1. Was the battery disconnect turned off and did you turn it back on? If so, try turning it on and off several times. Sometimes the switch gets corroded.
2. Check you connected the batteries correctly. They are 12V batteries connected in parallel.

Another dumb thought is are the new batteries fully charged?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum, Gerry
Are your new batteries were charged and you disconnected the negative battery lead before the positive battery lead disconnect and reconnected the negative last when wiring in new batteries.
Batteries were installed in same position as far as positive and negative positions?
This link will give you your battery charging systems when plugged in to shore power and charging when working off alternator while driving, this link comes from this link.

The 12v side of life from TECH LINK below.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #5

Gary, is this the switch on the board in my next compartment forward? I was never told what it was.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #6

I wish I had taken photos!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Hi Gerry-

I'm a subscriber to "the last darn thing I touched..." model and that makes me think you might have mis-connected your new batteries.

Take a couple deep breaths, have a nice tall iced tea and then go back and take another look at your work.

Since I don't have the quality of memory I once had, I tend to use my 'smarty pants phone' and take lots of pictures to help keep me on track.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #7

Photo of my install...

Old 07-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This thread may help also, no need to panic.
Newmar search battery hook up
No battery hook up found in your owners guide
Old 07-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

Can't help it 007, I'm panicking... My poor wife is pretty stressed. I've had quite a bit with this RV...
Old 07-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just calm down and check things out, we are here, needed us earlier, last link Newmar search should help has pictures, you just need to place batteries correctly.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The place your going to will still be there next day just notify them.
Your not the first one with these problems.
We will take care of other stuff when your ready.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #12

Hello MightS4,
Looking at your picture, the main battery cables look correct. Here is a picture of my Newmar chassis batteries

The only thing I cannot tell if you correctly hooked the smaller cable(s) to the correct post. It looks like the black cable bunch (on the right side) is black, which is currently hooked to the +12 volt, while the red bunch which is on the left side is hooked to the negative. If you look at my picture, the "cable bunch" is reversed. The red cable bunch should go to the positive (right side of batteries), while the black bunch should be hooked to the Negative posts (on the left side of the batteries). Hope this helps
Dutch Master
2008 Newmar KSDP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Batteries.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	252620  
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #13

Your missing a cable !

There should be 2 large positive cables. One is for chassis power and the other is for the boost/isolation circuit.

The picture sent by Dutch Master shows 2 large positive cables. Dig back behind the batteries and find it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #14

Thank you! You nailed it eagle eye. A main positive cable fell down behind the others.

I took everyone's advice, stepped away, had a cold iced tea came back and slowly started disassembling everything and found the cable very hidden.

Great advice, thank you all very much!

I've been working on things non stop for weeks to get ready for our trip. Repaired two AC units from rodent damage and a bad board, replaced the completely broken exhaust manifold and a bunch of other odds and ends. I want to learn my RV so I do everything I can, this just baffled me, I got frazzled and worried. Thanks folks for stepping in and lending a hand. I hope I can do the same.

Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your missing a cable !

There should be 2 large positive cables. One is for chassis power and the other is for the boost/isolation circuit.

The picture sent by Dutch Master shows 2 large positive cables. Dig back behind the batteries and find it.

Tags
batteries