Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #1

Help on outfitting

Can I please ask all you fine folks for some help. We have a 2020 DS on order scheduled to be delivered in the middle of February. We’re taking delivery at NIRVC Atlanta which is also installing some other options for us, Retrobands, ToGo System and some others.

One of the things I’d like to get is a water softener, or a reverse osmosis system. The more research I do on these systems the more I find one of two things. They are either “loosely installed” where I need to be constantly moving them to access frequently used items or they seem incredibly complex and take lots of room. We plan on traveling out west a good bit so hard water is a concern, should it be? Or am I making to much of nothing. Another water item is a deionizer, a lot of our coach will have black paint on it and I was told it’s fantastic when it comes to rinsing the coach.

Secondly, LED headlights. I’ve read over and over in the last 18 months that the DS headlights are horrible. Anyone have any suggestions on which are the best?

Any ideas on things that might make it a more capable coach or things you have now that you wish you had sooner. We plan on using it six to eight months a year. I’d appreciate any ideas or thoughts.
F150 Stealth XL by Rocky Ridge Trucks.
WhiskeySierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #2

I have a Watts Water softerner (https://www.amazon.com/Watts-Water-C...SIN=B0050EITTK)
It works good. I recharge it once a month with 2lbs of table salt.
I keep mine in a milk crAte and hook it up between the supply and the RV.
Others have plumbed theirs in . I like having mine outside so I can recharge it easier.
Good luck with that beautiful new coach!
Old 11-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
call piaa lights tech support
Old 11-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #4

Do you really plan on driving at night? We never did. Stopped at 3pm to enjoy a relaxing dinner and evening or some siteseeing. You don't need reservations when you stop early.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Do you really plan on driving at night? We never did. Stopped at 3pm to enjoy a relaxing dinner and evening or some siteseeing. You don't need reservations when you stop early.
I agree, except for driving through Los Angeles, which I've vowed never to do again except in the middle of the night.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #6

I put Beamtech’s on my DS the day we purchased it. Great addition, no issues at all with nighttime visibility.

BEAMTECH H13 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Bright (9008 Hi/Lo) CSP Chips Conversion K
Old 11-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have an “On the Go” double water softener and got it shortly after we arrived out west the first time. That hard water is tough on your body, hair, water fixtures and washer. We also have a DI unit and it does make washing the coach sooooo much easier. Neither unit is installed anywhere, we just move them to where we will use them. The softener rides in the back of the Jeep since we get it set up when we arrive, DI is stored underneath the coach.

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I have the “On the Go” water softener standard tank installed in my wet bay. It is the standard sized tank because that’s all I could fit in my wet bay. It is placed just after the stock water filter. I think someday I will plumb it to look better, but now it uses hoses to connect in, and that lets me move the output from the softener to a suitable drain when recharging.
I also placed their deionizer two tank system under the hood. The tanks fit well in front of the generator, and my pressure washer fits under hood driver’s side. I had to move an air horn and the windshield washer fluid container, but I got it all to fit, including the hose reel. I love the DI and pressure washer... it really does dry perfectly! So I got all my toys without using up any valuable storage space!
TravlinMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:34 AM   #9

I know lots of folks stop earlier in the day, and we may have to get used to that from what I’ve been reading about campground etiquette, we’re usually early risers and drive all day, that may change. But I feel strongly about the lights. Can’t understand why on a machine like that something so critical is such low quality and old technology, another example being the batteries. I know, cost, but critical and safety systems.

Thanks for the water softener tips, we’re definitely going to do that. I’d just like it plumbed in, but it seems that access for salt replenishment and draining is also vital.

Does anyone have any experience with the Lippert Waste Master sewer hose? Or since the DS has the SaniCon system is that used as the primary to drain the tanks?

I’m no where near as handy as some of the folks on here but I’m sure I will start doing mods as soon as I get some confidence in initial operation. I’m just trying to get it outfitted as best as possible with professional installation. Is there anything else that you now find as indispensable that you wish you had from the beginning. I appreciate all the advice and ideas.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #10

Probably one of the best RV softeners is the OnTheGo brand. There are 3 sizes I believe. We went with the larger one because we are full time. Since we have the larger one it wasn't really practical to mount it anywhere inside the storage bays. I have it on a small cart and it is easy to set up and/or store.

I think I would hold off on the whole headlight modification, at least until you drove your coach at night and experienced the quality of lighting for yourself. In the last 24 months of ownership I have actually driven my rig once when it was dark.

You didn't mention anything about a TPMS for you coach and your toad. IMHO that is the #1 piece of safety equipment for any RV on the road. We have utilized a TST brand system since 2011.

Congrats on your new rig!
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra View Post
Can I please ask all you fine folks for some help. We have a 2020 DS on order scheduled to be delivered in the middle of February. We’re taking delivery at NIRVC Atlanta which is also installing some other options for us, Retrobands, ToGo System and some others.

One of the things I’d like to get is a water softener, or a reverse osmosis system. The more research I do on these systems the more I find one of two things. They are either “loosely installed” where I need to be constantly moving them to access frequently used items or they seem incredibly complex and take lots of room. We plan on traveling out west a good bit so hard water is a concern, should it be? Or am I making to much of nothing. Another water item is a deionizer, a lot of our coach will have black paint on it and I was told it’s fantastic when it comes to rinsing the coach.

Secondly, LED headlights. I’ve read over and over in the last 18 months that the DS headlights are horrible. Anyone have any suggestions on which are the best?

Any ideas on things that might make it a more capable coach or things you have now that you wish you had sooner. We plan on using it six to eight months a year. I’d appreciate any ideas or thoughts.
Welcome again, and now the fun begins - Water softener - Use KISS method is all I have to say - the more complicated you make it the more Complicated it is - KISS - Both the Softner and the Deionizer will help but again they need to be easy and simple to operate - Otherwise parts filters and even the water needed to operate may be scarce.

Dark Colors on the Coach - - - - I've followed you for the last year or so and using a BLACK Coach in Utah will just not be Smart - When it gets to 115 outside a black vehicle it can get to 150 or higher, inside - all this BS about these coaches having High insulation values is just that - BS - as there is only so much insulation you can put in 1" - 2" - 4" - think about it and understand that Dark, is truly a PITA in the Desert. No Matter how big your A/C is. Not to Mention how Hard it is to keep Polished and Clean. Seriously try to find some lighter colors that will work for you as Dark even a little is a PAIN. If you really Need Dark Get a Black Toad - that alone will keep you Busy - -

Period.

I've done this RV'ing thing for over 50 years - the Only time we Drive at Night is when we need to be back Home for an Emergency, once and a while on an A to B trip but even then not very often. One more Rule I have is NEVER - NEVER enter a CG at Night or in the Dark - Can't see the Boulders they put out or the Branches they did not Cut back! Not to Mention the People who are asleep and that you just Woke Up. - -

Do Not Drive At NIGHT - TOO Much to SEE!-

Will be eating My Pop Corn as this goes on.

Best of Luck,

ps - on the Newmar forum send NealC (http://www.irv2.com/forums/members/nealc-205815.html) a PM and talk with him you two will/might have a lot in Common - IMHO - just take your time and learn before you make all these additions - might need to Prioritize a few - or run out of room in the Coach.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra View Post
I know lots of folks stop earlier in the day, and we may have to get used to that from what I’ve been reading about campground etiquette, we’re usually early risers and drive all day, that may change. But I feel strongly about the lights. Can’t understand why on a machine like that something so critical is such low quality and old technology, another example being the batteries. I know, cost, but critical and safety systems.

If you think about this a bit it will come to you - most of the advice you are getting is from "Experienced RV'er" (Code for Old) wait to see how the light work for you - changing the bulb is easy enough.

Thanks for the water softener tips, we’re definitely going to do that. I’d just like it plumbed in, but it seems that access for salt replenishment and draining is also vital.

This is why they make a Quick Disconnect fittings - you will need to service it and allow the flush to work - so Semi Permanent is smart.

Does anyone have any experience with the Lippert Waste Master sewer hose? Or since the DS has the SaniCon system is that used as the primary to drain the tanks?

Again, wait till you get out in the world - you will find out so much after a month or two - Mainly from your new found friends in the CG'a.

I’m nowhere near as handy as some of the folks on here but I’m sure I will start doing mods as soon as I get some confidence in initial operation. I’m just trying to get it outfitted as best as possible with professional installation. Is there anything else that you now find as indispensable that you wish you had from the beginning. I appreciate all the advice and ideas.
Service Manager's Personal Phone # on Speed Dial - - When you take delivery do something Special, to help him remember you - Trust me it will help, you will use this more than you think. (Might just wait till after a week or so, when you come back and he Saves the Day)

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The 2019 DS uses Dodge Challenger headlights 2010 -2014. Adding LED or HID to a lens that is designed to use a halogen bulb will do nothing for nighttime driving. They will look substantially brighter when looking at them and they will double the lighting around the front of the coach for a few feet, but that's it. They won't give you that down the road lighting everyone is trying to improve. Using LED or HID in a halogen light lens, just scatters the light. You need a lens designed to work with LED and HID, which is a focus beam lens. That's the fish eye looking lens you see on many new vehicles.

With that said you can buy three levels of lenses for the Challenger, hence for the DS. They offer a lens used with halogen bulbs (what's in our coach) focus (fish eye) lens for use with LED and an HID lens.

So, if you want to swap out the lenses, you could go with the focus beam model and add LED bulbs. This is what I would like to do, but just don't drive enough at night to warrant the work and $400 cost. (At least at this time).

You'll need a telescoping ladder too. Many of use, added a shelf, just above where the optional freezer goes in the front passenger bay.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #14

Wow! Thanks Dutch Star Don, and of course BusSkipper. Everyone seems to NOT drive at night. I will definitely find out about the focused beams. I agree, and figured waiting for some stuff after we’ve had the coach and are fitting it into our lifestyle makes sense. Just trying to think ahead. Yeah the ladder is on the list, as well as a dedicated TPMS system, I feel strongly about the tire safety that’s why RetroBands are on the dealer install list.

Something special for the service manager? As is a good bottle of bourbon, or as in doing something so stupid with the coach so he has to remember us? But his number on speed dial, that is a great idea! Now I just need to find a truck shop close to Savannah to do things like oil changes etc... We live in a subdivision and I simply don’t have the room to do it myself but I definitely want to be able to work on the coach if needed while traveling.

By the way Bus Skipper, laughing at the black paint comments. We already have a black toad. All black, totally “murdered” out for you hipsters on here, lifted custom F150. Now I will say this the paint is called Bullet Shield, similar to LineX, but made for exterior and won’t fade nearly as much. It’s been in Utah summer’s frequently. In fact it can sit out at Arches all day long in the July sun and I can, and have, put my hand on the hood and left it there. Dissipates heat like the space shuttle tiles, no kidding. Can’t dry it with towels as it tears up the towels and I’ll have little threads all over the paint job. I know, I know, that’s not the paint on the coach, I wish I could get that for the coach, the cost would be insane. But I appreciate the advise.

I’m already wondering what kind of must have stuff I can find at the Tampa show in January, a month or so before delivery.