Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 05:10 AM   #1

Help,on side of road

Yesterday afternoon our waterpump decided to puke out our coolant on US1 south of Homestead,FL. Coachmet sent a wrecker,took 6 hours to get here and he said he couldn't tow us due to the way the genset was and the low front end. 7 hours lateranother truck arrives and said same thing. Come on,certainly 2013 vintage dutch stars have been towed..so 15 hours later,wer are Stull onthe side of A very busy road...any advice would be appreciated
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 05:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Yesterday afternoon our waterpump decided to puke out our coolant on US1 south of Homestead,FL. Coachmet sent a wrecker,took 6 hours to get here and he said he couldn't tow us due to the way the genset was and the low front end. 7 hours lateranother truck arrives and said same thing. Come on,certainly 2013 vintage dutch stars have been towed..so 15 hours later,wer are Stull onthe side of A very busy road...any advice would be appreciated
Could you get a mobile mechanic? Sorry for your headache
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:07 AM   #3

Going to check on that too
Old 12-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #4

Sorry to hear that you are stuck on a side of a busy road. My 2016 Dutch Star had to be towed. I remember the guy saying it was a plan in the a$$, but he got it done. Good luck and stay safe

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1638623465
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3193.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	540.4 KB
ID:	350530  
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A water pump should be a very easy and quick job on a Cummins with a side radiator. I vote for a mobile mechanic as well. Less chance of damaging your rig, no waiting for a shop to get around to it. And it should be a lot cheaper. Its not a complicated or time consuming job.

I replaced one on an ISB in a Doge truck for a camper stuck in a Wyoming CG. Took about an hour including chasing down a pump on a Sunday afternoon. The only difficult part was threading the belt back on. But your engine has better access and fewer accessories. It only cost the owner around $120 including a couple gallons of coolant. Add a couple hours for a mobile mechanic and your should still be under $500.

So unless Im missing something, its really a simple job. The first thing to do is get it into a parking lot somewhere close that is safe from traffic, and confirm that the leak is coming from the pump - the weep hole, seal, or O-ring, or somewhere else.

If it is the pump, call around to the local parts shops and locate one. I think we found one at an Autozone, but thats a big town- you’ll find one. It will speed up the process and keep you from being over charged for parts. If you can change the belt and are at all handy with a wrench, you could easily do this yourself.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:35 AM   #6

Definitely call a mobile mechanic. I wouldn't tow unless absolutely necessary.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you are stuck there waiting anyway, post a couple pics of it. Also PM with my phone number sent.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:08 AM   #8

Coolant was pretty much pouring out the waterpump pully shaft. Waiting on. Oa hmet to see if they. An find a mobile tec.... have a call into local freightlin
Old 12-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Coolant was pretty much pouring out the waterpump pully shaft. Waiting on. Oa hmet to see if they. An find a mobile tec.... have a call into local freightlin
Let us know how Coachnet responds.....I am currently looking at them for RA.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:26 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Following….
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have State Farm insurance on my DSDP and when I needed a tow I was told to use any company I wanted then turn in a receipt for reimbursement.

I was on the side of the road less than an hour before the Calvary arrived.

When I turned in the bill to my local office they wrote me a check for the full amount.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
PanJH, try calling towing companies for a mobile mech. Towing companies are sometimes a part of a garage. That’s how I got repaired last year when my roadside service company punted it into the stands.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:58 AM   #13
YC1

Sorry for your misery. I feel your pain..

Did the coolant come out gushing or is it just a pin hole type of issue?

If it is a smaller leak and does not spray over things like the alternator you might be able to add water and remove the radiator cap so pressure does not build in the system and then limp off the dangerous highway.

I'm not a diesel mechanic but have limped around with the radiator cap off vehicles before.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:17 AM   #14

If it were me I would have long been off the road. With a coolant leak you can stop, let the engine cool off, add plain water, and continue until it starts getting too hot. You can actually travel quite a ways like that. I did it to not long ago in a different vehicle that I was too hard headed to have towed. I ended up buying a bunch of gallon bottles of drinking water from Wal Mart (wife's idea) and we brought it all the way home.

With our coach is would be even simpler because I always carry water in the fresh tank. Plain water is a fine coolant for short term use. For example, many race cars use plain water as antifreeze/coolant mixtures are not allowed on many racetracks.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote