Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #1

Help Please! 2017 DS 4369 Rear Bathroom Ceiling Leak

I noticed water dripping from one of the 4 screws holding up the ceiling fan trim in the rear bath. I removed the fan trim and found the insulation above the AC dutctwork running beside the fan, the ductwork itself and the ceiling below the ductwork soaking wet. This is how water is dripping through the ceiling fan trim screw. The ceiling padding is soaking wet where the water is dripping through the one screw. I don't know how long this has been happening but it must be a while since it so wet up there and I'm sure the damage is getting worse by the minute. I live in south Florida where it's hot as hell right now so I thought at first it was just condensation on the ductwork but I'm sure it must be something else.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - I can think of two possibilities. If it is raining where you are the gasket under the AC unit might be defective or pinched. If not then the AC may have been or is frozen and the ice is melting into the duct work and ceiling. Does the air flow from that unit seem restricted? If so run just the fan and not the cooling. That will defrost it and help to dry things out somewhat. More detail as to where you are and weather would help to determine possible causes.

Tom
Old 08-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - I can think of two possibilities. If it is raining where you are the gasket under the AC unit might be defective or pinched. If not then the AC may have been or is frozen and the ice is melting into the duct work and ceiling. Does the air flow from that unit seem restricted? If so run just the fan and not the cooling. That will defrost it and help to dry things out somewhat. More detail as to where you are and weather would help to determine possible causes. It's only wet in a one foot section beside the ruling fan. I have stuck my hand down the length of the ductwork as far as I can and the ductwork and insulation is not wet. Only in about a 18" section to the side of the ceiling fan. I went up on the roof and I do t see any break in the dicor around the fan. The seal is fine.

Tom

It's not raining now but it was. But it rains every day down here and never noticed the problem until today. Air flow is not restricted. A/C is working fine. I'm in Key Largo and it's hot and humid.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How do your AC unit dump condensation? Just onto The roof? Do they have pumps that push it down a tube? However it occurs, be sure it is occuring. Else that condensation water can find it's way into the ducts and elsewhere. This is a relatively common problem.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
How do your AC unit dump condensation? Just onto The roof? Do they have pumps that push it down a tube? However it occurs, be sure it is occuring. Else that condensation water can find it's way into the ducts and elsewhere. This is a relatively common problem.
They dump on the roof and travel to 4 roof drains and down through pipes to the ground. And all 4 roof drains seem to be working.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

Best bet, take the rear a.c. cover off and follow the water. You have a cathedral ceiling like mine so water should shed.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
If you have a cathedral ceiling then you have I think a raised roof. My raised roof only has a power vent. Of course it could just follow along in the duct work itself. Turn on the fan to high and leave it on to see if something has frozen and needs defrosted.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
If you have a cathedral ceiling then you have I think a raised roof. My raised roof only has a power vent. Of course it could just follow along in the duct work itself. Turn on the fan to high and leave it on to see if something has frozen and needs defrosted.
Which fan are you referring to? Do you mean turn the rear AC off and just run it Fan mode?
Old 08-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #9

This is a photo of what I am describing. The insulation above the ductwork, the ductwork itself and the wood ceiling below the ductwork and the ceiling padding are all wet - just in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	173682  
Old 08-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #10

Your vent may be leaking. Check for cracks around the base. I carry Durabond Tape which is a quick and permanent fix.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Have you been on roof to review if the water is flowing over any caulked joints? If that is not the case then removing AC cover should be next as others stated. Might be a simple clogged drain inside AC unit.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
Your vent may be leaking. Check for cracks around the base. I carry Durabond Tape which is a quick and permanent fix.
Did that. No cracks.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Have you been on roof to review if the water is flowing over any caulked joints? If that is not the case then removing AC cover should be next as others stated. Might be a simple clogged drain inside AC unit.
I've been on the roof to check flow of water. Will remove AC cover tomorrow and report back. How would I know if I have a clogged drain inside AC unit? Thanks!
Old 08-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
I've been on the roof to check flow of water. Will remove AC cover tomorrow and report back. How would I know if I have a clogged drain inside AC unit? Thanks!

This may not be exactly what your inside looks like but there will be a cover that exposes the coils which will have a drain pan inside.
http://bryantrv.com/roofacleaks.html

Tags
ceiling, leak