Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #1

We stopped in Tombstone for the day and when we went to start the engine it is beeping at us to shut it off. The only code of any sorts we can find is SPN111FMI1. Does any one have any ideas? The engine seems to be starting okay and running but then almost immediately the warning goes off saying to shut it off.

2007 Newmar All Star 3950
BSFocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #2

We stopped in Tombstone for the day and when we went to start the engine it is beeping at us to shut it off. The only code of any sorts we can find is SPN111FMI1. Does any one have any ideas? The engine seems to be starting okay and running but then almost immediately the warning goes off saying to shut it off.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #3

Check the coolant level? If low, it will trigger a shutdown light. This has been a common cause for the symptoms you describe.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #4

Yes Check Coolant #1 and Oil level #2.
It could be just a little!!!

low on antifreeze!!
Rick
Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Bonnie,
When you check the coolant, do not just look at the sight glass. Get a rod/stick or something to insert into the reservoir. This will provide an accurate level for the coolant. If it is below or just above the measuring device (well below the sight glass) then coolant level is the problem.

Make sure you add the same or compatible coolant that is now in the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #6

We will be checking the coolant tomorrow morning. The engine finally stopped yelling at us and we were able to get back to our RV park for the night. Unfortunately Walmart did not have the coolant we need so we are going to have to call around and see if we can find someone nearby that has the coolant it takes. I will let everyone know what the coolant levels say tomorrow.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bonnie here is some info on coolant for your engine, Cummins Coolant
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #8

Yes, must be the coolant low, and it warmed and expanded enough to get you going. Yours is Final Charge anti freeze I believe (red stuff). Many, or most Walmarts carry it. I just bought some the other day at Walmart in Charlotte Michigan.

Peter
Old 01-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Bonnie,
If coolant is the problem and you can not find Final Charge 50/50 mix or concentrate there is another choice. Detroit Desiel dealerships should have in stock Power Cool + antifreeze. The Detroit Desiel part number is 23519397. Power Cool + is the same thing as Final Charge. It is just sold in a different branded container. This information is sourced directly from Old World Industries. Old World Industries makes many of the coolants used in our vehicles.

As a last choice, consider adding 2 quarts of distilled water to the reservoir. This should get you to a place where Final Charge is available. Once purchased, add enough Final Charge to keep the total mixture at 50/50.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #10

gary: Good scoop on the Detroit Diesel Power Cool = Final Charge.

That makes for a possibly more consistent source of the potentially elusive Final Charge. I've added that to my notes, and thanks.

007's write up is tops too. Thanks for that easy read on a confusing topic.

Just a reminder that Final Charge 50/50 seems to be available at many, but not all WalMarts, so call the next SuperCenter store and you might get lucky. Use a shot (pint/quart) of bottled water to get you going in the mean time.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #11

I got the fault code off of the console and it is coolant. Is it normal for the coolant to drop low after only 7,000 miles on the new engine? I guess I assumed that it would have a longer life.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:09 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it normal for the coolant to drop low after only 7,000 miles on the new engine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it is not normal, and should not happen.

However, it has happened to others.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:28 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Focht:
I got the fault code off of the console and it is coolant. Is it normal for the coolant to drop low after only 7,000 miles on the new engine? I guess I assumed that it would have a longer life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coolant doesn't disappear from mileage. Low coolant early on is normally a signal of air not having been totally purged when built or of course a leak.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Bonnie here is some info on coolant for your engine, Cummins Coolant </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a slight error in this writeup in that it implies OAT coolant was first used in 2007. Spartan has been using OAT coolant since at least 2005. First, they used Shell Rotella ELC and then switched to Final Charge.

Any of the OAT's are compatible i.e. Fleetguard ES Optimax, Shell Rotella ELC, Final Charge, etc. They will all be red in color.