Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 04:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
HELP - slide out won't retract

Hi all - I have a serious issue on my 2014 4360 DS - passenger side kitchen slide won't retract and I'm 3000 miles from home. The slide appears to slide out correctly but when I attempt to move it in, the rear portion does begin to move in but the front does not move at all. The last time I closed it when it fully retracted I heard a loud POP noise that really grabbed my attention. From what I can observe it appears the little black tab that hits when it is fully closed to stop the inward movement has hit the slideout surround and chipped the paint. Any advise, suggestions, ideas to correct this would be appreciated. Thank you
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 05:29 AM   #2

Not sure if this will be any help at all, but have you looked at the motor that retracts the slide? Had a similar situation on my 2015 DS, loud bang upon retraction, next time that it went out would not come back in. In my case the bracket had broken, most likely the bolts had worked loose and the motor twisted when the slide came in. There are many threads on this subject as well as some that wail tell you how to manually get the slide back in, good luck.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you - but yes, I recently ( about 3 weeks ago) torqued the motor bolts. Upon further inspection and pulling the cover off the gear area I have found that the motor works and drives the rod that has the gear and chain on it, the chain drives/moves the gear and pinion gear above it and catches/meshes into the rack plate - what seems to be the issue is the front end of the slide out has dropped downward a little and is causing excessive binding on the attempt to move the front of the slide inward. Soooooooo - is there a method to adjust the front of the slide upward that I can do? or is that something only a service center can do?
Old 11-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #4

Hmmm, a picture would be handy...so the slide is lower in the front relative to the rear of the slide and the body cavity?
Like, a roller under the front of the slide collapsed?

A floor jack / bottle jack and a long timber (4x4 or better) to support the weight of the slide would be handy to jack up the slide which would allow for inspection of the roller.
Certainly be very careful to not get pinched or crushed if the jack was to fail.
If you need to stick your arm into the gap between the slide bottom and the chassis opening - put a 2x4(s) into the gap just in case the jack fails.

Got a toad to take a HomeDepot trip?

Kinda hard to MyGyver a solution for you without seeing what you are up against.
Some thoughts though: If the roller has failed...I would put a piece of sheet metal inbetween the failed roller and the bottom of the slide so the roller / bracket doesn't slice up the bottom of the slide.
You might be able to use the jack to help support the slide as you move it in. that will work until the last few inches when the jack / timber needs to be removed.
Do you have MyGyver with you that can give you a hand? Sounds like it will be at least a two person operation to mess with the jack and another to operate the slide control.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry for your problem, here is a link from PROBLEM SOLVERS from QT's #3 that may help you, there are others.
The QT's links will have answers for you plus this link which is important to Newmar owners.
This second link instructs with a Newmar search you can find this info for your problem. --- RESULTS
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the input - 007, yes I had already looked the the QT's and associated information. After much much angst and effort, we ( DW and myself) were able to get the slide moved in almost completely - it is lacking approximately 1/2 inch of complete closure. Now the big question is finding a reputable Newmar service facility in the Virginia, N. Carolina, Tennessee area.
Anyone have any recommendations?

Tags
slide, slide out