Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #1

I stopped overnight in Texarkana and tried to start the coach this am.
Nothing. I get lights in dash, but it will not turn over. I may have left trans in "D", my wife thinks I did. It'ss in N now I hope, the light shows N.
What could be wrong. This is the first time it's happened.
The jacks are fully up, everything else seems OK.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #2

I stopped overnight in Texarkana and tried to start the coach this am.
Nothing. I get lights in dash, but it will not turn over. I may have left trans in "D", my wife thinks I did. It'ss in N now I hope, the light shows N.
What could be wrong. This is the first time it's happened.
The jacks are fully up, everything else seems OK.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:53 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Have you tried turning the main chassis switch in the engine compartment off and then back on? or using the battery boost when turning the ignition switch?
Has your Bussman switch gotten wet?
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #4

I don't think it hurts to shut off the MH without it being in Neutral. I have done it accidental a few times. When I turn the key back on the N light isn't showing at first. Just some asterisks or something like that. Then it shows the N and the engine starts right up.
You might try shutting off the engine batteries with the switch in the engine compartment. Wait a minute and then turn the switch back on. This might reboot something.
Is your parking brake engaged? I didn't have my brake set once and the jacks wouldn't deploy.
Let us know what it took to get the MH to start.
Good luck,
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #5

Try and start your genset. If it starts, let it run. Now try the boost switch when starting the engine. The boost switch is located to the left of the steering wheel on the dash.

Peter
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Put your transmission to P then use the battery boost to try and start. If this does not work then start the generator and use the battery boost.
The jacks will not elevate unless MH is in Park with the Park Brake ON.
Good luck!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #7

K Man, He has a DP with a 3000 series Allison. They are push button with no park. They are always auto neutral when shutdown.

Peter
Old 12-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #8

Routine the keypad a few times from drive to neutral and retry starting.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #9

I think I found the problem.

The starter relay has a red and a black wire coming off two small posts. The insulation has been burned off and it looks as if the two shorted out.

Coach services will have us towed to a Cummins service repair shop tomorrow and we'll find out if that's the problem.

Does the engine have to be running to operate the hydraulic sytem. Would the hydraulic jacks have anything to do with the engine not starting because the system does not work.

Is the hydralics independent of the engine.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I'm pretty sure the engine in your coach will start if the jacks are down or up or somewhere in between. While some coaches may have safety cut-offs for jacks/hydraulics, unless Newmar took that off the 07 DSDP and it was on the 06 DSDP. I find this unlikely.

While it is little consolation, and I would not be in the best of moods, I'm sure Cummins will find it quickly. Especially if you already found a short.

My father-in-law had, what I think, the same thing happen to him in his Monaco Diplomat in his first year of ownership. He was handy enough w/auto mechanics to fix it himself on the road. He still had Cummins check it out.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:10 AM   #11

The starter was fried.

Spartan asked if I had run through some heavy rain when I told them about the shorted wires on the frame mounted starter relay.

The tow truck had to inflate the air bags before towing. The quick disconnect female air fitting is on the right side of the generator on thr frame about midway up.

A good thing to know.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:05 AM   #12

I asked on the first post to this item about the Bussman switch...mine got wet causing the starter to fry!...Newmar paid for the new Bussmqn switch, the starter, and 3 road service calls plus relocating the Switch from the compartment floor to a sidewall where it is less likely to get wet. In some instances as mine the starter attempted to start the engine with power off...ignition switch fortunately I was at the back of the coach and turned off the master switch. Had it happened with me away there was a good chance of fire.
If you have a 2006 DSDP I suggest you locate this switch, about 3" square Black, and if on the floor of the compartment have it moved and then be sure to seal holes from the removal location.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:22 AM   #13

Mine has been moved to the right side wall about 8" form the bottom of the compartment.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #14

That's good news...I am now really curious as to what caused this failure. With the same chassis and length of coach our problems may go hand in hand.

Ronnie