RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #1

Help-Trying to get slides and heat working

Came to coach today to load up for trip to Dakotas. Switched on generator and started coach fine. Chassis battery reading 14 volts and house bank 25.5 roughly. Thought I had everything disconnected. Slides wont work and heat wonít come on. Oasis is showing power but no heat. Any ideas? Thanks
eastern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #2

I do hope that the house bank at 25.5 is a typing error .

If not you've hooked 4 ; 6 volt batteries in series and probably damaged items in the system .

The connections in your 4 battery house system should look like the picture below .
If all your connections are positive to negative , disconnect them NOW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234 (640x360).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	305041  
Old 10-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I do hope that the house bank at 25.5 is a typing error .

If not you've hooked 4 ; 6 volt batteries in series and probably damaged items in the system .
Not a typo! I havenít touched the batteries. Started coach and ran it and generator on Wednesday and all was fine. At a loss to explain this.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #4

Open the battery tray and check that nothing has fallen onto the battery posts , that could be causing the jump from 12/13 volts , to what your showing ; 25.5 will cause damage.
I can't believe the gen set started.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #5

First - slides will not work when engine is running- be sure its off.

Did you have you house battery bank disconnected? If so, you have connected them all in series rather than 2 in series & 3 or 4 pair in parallel. Recheck your house battery connections. If you indeed had 25 V you have probably fried some 12 V circuit boards- just get it connected correctly- see if it reads around 13V on the house side & turn your battery disconnect on & see what's working & what's not?

Happy Trails .
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post

Did you have you house battery bank disconnected? If so, you have connected them all in series rather than 2 in series & 3 or 4 pair in parallel. Recheck your house battery connections. If you indeed had 25 V you have probably fried some 12 V circuit boards- just get it connected correctly- see if it reads around 13V on the house side & turn your battery disconnect on & see what's working & what's not?

Happy Trails .
Thanks all. I shut everything down and disconnected house and chassis bank and started over and everything is normal. I really appreciate the advice and quick replies. Battery banks around 14 volts, slides and Oasis working. Hope this was a one off mystery as we leave for cold Dakotas in am!
Old 10-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
House bank is 25.5 volts or 25.5% ?
Old 10-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post

Happy Trails .
Thanks all. I shut everything down and disconnected house and chassis bank and started over and everything is normal. I really appreciate the advice and quick replies. Battery banks around 14 volts, slides and Oasis working. Hope this was a one off mystery as we leave for cold Dakotas in am!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
Came to coach today to load up for trip to Dakotas. Switched on generator and started coach fine. Chassis battery reading 14 volts and house bank 25.5 roughly. Thought I had everything disconnected. Slides wont work and heat wonít come on. Oasis is showing power but no heat. Any ideas? Thanks
It appears that previous posters have shared some useful guidance on your battery issues. The other issue here may be your planned destination. The weather is not especially welcoming right now and ND currently has the highest Covid infection rate in the country. On the other hand, if you have to travel to the Dakotas right now, the motorhome is probably your best mode. Safe travels.

RB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3024.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	305049  
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
It appears that previous posters have shared some useful guidance on your battery issues. The other issue here may be your planned destination. The weather is not especially welcoming right now and ND currently has the highest Covid infection rate in the country. On the other hand, if you have to travel to the Dakotas right now, the motorhome is probably your best mode. Safe travels.

RB
The weather isn't much better here in Minneapolis! Hoping to get on the road headed south in a few weeks, but a lot of the good camp sites are full in the warm states.

Gonna be interesting!
thedood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post

RB
I have no idea what caused the house battery to read 25plus volts but it sure shut the Oasis and sides down. I am very nervous heading to the Dakotas right now especially since this my first really large RV. I will also be towing a full size Ram.

I have hunted SD pheasant season the last week of October every year for over 20 years. I bought the coach to travel back and forth to our place in FL and so I could take my guns and lab out west hunting. I don't try flying dogs anymore. I have had a dream to have a home base and hunt from there and move it around. Loaded and ready to roll in the am. I could just as easily head south. Sure don't want mechanical issues with the forecasted temps in the Dakotas.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:31 AM   #12

Whatever fault caused you to show 25.5 volts is likely to still exist. Problems seldom self repair.

I probably wouldn't feel comfortable until I definitively identified the issue.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, slide