Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2023, 11:47 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Help...water leak under motorhome

Hello
I hope I can get some suggestions. On the passenger side about 2/3 of the way back there is a leak. It comes out in a steady stream and it has been this way for a couple of days. I do see what looks like a piece of rubber hanging down a little. I think it is the overflow. I checked the fill switch in the bay and it is in the off position. I do not know what Io do.

I have a 2004 Dutch Star.

Thank you
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2023, 12:03 PM   #2

In your wet bay you have a City Fill/Tank Fill knob. Be sure it is in City Fill Position.
The ball valve that the knob turns do fail over time.
Rotate it back and forth a bit. It may be where it is fully closed is not all the left or right.

I am under the impression you are hooked up to water.
Sounds like your water source is filling the fresh water tank and the overflow outlets are doing their job.
Shut off your water and drain the tank down 50% and turn your water source back on.
Now turn the City Fill/Tank Fill knob and listen. You should not hear any water if it is closed properly and on City Fill. If you hear water, turn the knob and see if the water stop filling the tank.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #3

My new neighbor just had this problem too, and it was his fill knob in the wet bay.

Same topic but different; is there anything about that that has to be set to run city water? He said his city water wasn't working that he had to fill the tank and pump from the tank yesterday morning. I figured he was just frozen on his supply hose like we had been at wake up. But he was sure he was not frozen. I don't know if he figured it out, I told him about iRV2 and there were a lot of Dutch Star owners and we were all helpful, and he might be able to get an answer on what to check here.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
In your wet bay you have a City Fill/Tank Fill knob. Be sure it is in City Fill Position.
The ball valve that the knob turns do fail over time.
Rotate it back and forth a bit. It may be where it is fully closed is not all the left or right.

I am under the impression you are hooked up to water.
Sounds like your water source is filling the fresh water tank and the overflow outlets are doing their job.
Shut off your water and drain the tank down 50% and turn your water source back on.
Now turn the City Fill/Tank Fill knob and listen. You should not hear any water if it is closed properly and on City Fill. If you hear water, turn the knob and see if the water stop filling the tank.

Thank you for answering my issue.
I am plugged in to city water. I did check the valve in the bay. it was in the off position. When I turn it on I can hear the water coming in as well as feel it in the hose. Then I turn it off and I not longer hear the water coming in and do not feel it in the hose.

I do not know how the overflow works. Why would it keep flowing out. This has been going on for two days it certainly it should not be overflowing.

It all seems so logical but I am confused.
thanks again for your help
Old 01-20-2023, 05:58 PM   #5

I'm not familiar with your exact plumbing, but I think there have been posts where a failed backflow valve in the water pump will cause the tank to overfill.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I'm not familiar with your exact plumbing, but I think there have been posts where a failed backflow valve in the water pump will cause the tank to overfill.

Thank you....The pump is not running. I am plugged in to city water and not using the pump
Old 01-20-2023, 06:34 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Drain some water out of your fresh water holding tank until the full and 2/3 lights go out. Then monitor the panel while your on shore water, and see if any of the lights come back on.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
Thank you....The pump is not running. I am plugged in to city water and not using the pump
That exactly what I'm talking about. When the pump is running, it supplies water pressure to the coach. When the pump is off, and you are connected to city water, city water pressure is applied to exit hose on the pump and if the backflow valve has failed, the city water pressure will flow backwards through the pump and fill the tank. Try taking the intake hose off the pump to see if water flows out. A failed backflow valve may also be located between the pump and the tank.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:47 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
make sure your aqua miser in your shower set to recirculate .. this can also cause this to happen
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:43 AM   #10

Does your fill valve have a plastic handle on it ? If so, remove it ( there's a screw in the center) then turn the stem to the closed position with a wrench. What happened on mine was the plastic handle stripped/rounded a bit and while it looked like and felt like it was in the closed position, it was slightly still open. This filled the tank and caused it to overflow out the tube. I was able to find a metal handle to replace the plastic one as a permanent fix.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:42 AM   #11

The suggestion to lower the water level in the tank is the first step. Turn off the city water at the faucet and use the pump for a day. Listen to hear if the pump turns on without you drawing water. IF so the check valve (I think inside the pump) is leaking. This would also cause the tank to fill from city water. We had that problem years ago--but I don't remember how I fixed it. I do remember changing the check valve at the water heater tho.
hth
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:26 PM   #12

I have found that you must shut city water off before turning valve to city / tank fill . Water off , select position , turn on city water . Valve doesn't shut off completely when under pressure .
Old 01-24-2023, 07:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
My 2017 Ventana LE has two water inlet valve positions. City water and tank fill. The tank fill is manual and I have to turn the valve to city water when the tank is full. Otherwise the tank will overflow through the duck bill overflow flap on the passenger side. I do not have an auto-fill of the tank.
elees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:15 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
If the check valve on the pump is bad, the water will still flow through to try to fill the tank.

I'd turn off the city water and see if the flow stops. That would tell you the tank is filling and you do not have a leak.

Tags
leak, motor, motorhome, water, water leak