Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2023, 07:56 AM   #1

Exclamation Help with Closing Slide Out Please! 2019 Ventana LE 3412

Hi, we're looking for advice on a slide out that will not retract. We have a 2019 Newmar Ventana LE 3412. It's the front passenger side slide, which is a one-motor slide for the kitchen and dinette. The slide will come in about an inch or two and stop, it won't travel any further. It will return to the fully open position but won't retract more than an inch or two.

We had the same problem a few weeks ago when traveling in AZ. A mobile tech tried to repair it and ended up burning out the motor. We had the motor replaced this past week and now have the same problem.

In diagnostics with Newmar, we've swapped out switches and controllers and they don't seem to be the issue. We've repowered and rebooted and that hasn't helped.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as we’re at our wit’s end and Newmar can’t suggest anything else!

Thanks,

Bill & Kim
K2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2023, 08:43 AM   #2

First- Have you looked at the top, bottom & sides to ensure nothing is stopping or blocking the slide from retracting? Next open the basement doors under the slide- push the storage trays out the drivers side- lay in there on your back with a flash light & have your wife try to retract the slide- watch with a flashlight to see if it's hitting anywhere. If it retracts completely, you know it's hitting items in the storage tray(s).

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:24 AM   #3

Hi Capt Bill, thanks for your suggestions. Yes, we've checked for anything that might be obstructing and everything appears to be clear for the slide's movement.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:29 AM   #4

Newmar puts the slide out motor control on many coaches right next to the control for the bedroom slide out. You can take the control wires for the kitchen slide and put them in the bedroom slide control and then see if by using the bedroom slide motor switch if the kitchen slide will come in. If that works then the slide out control needs to be replaced.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:11 AM   #5

When you run the room in, does the room stop and the motor keeps going or does the motor stop all the way too. Sounds like your torsion nuts on the room might not be tight if you just swapped the motor.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 12:07 PM   #6

Thanks Tom, we tried that and it didn't work... the controller doesn't seem to be the problem.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:08 PM   #7

Hi Bobby, the slide and the motor both stop after about an inch or two of retraction.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2squared View Post
Hi Bobby, the slide and the motor both stop after about an inch or two of retraction.
Crazy suggestion but have you tried to give it a good push to help it out. Every now and then, ours acts kind of stubborn in one spot but been doing it since we’ve had it.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 10:42 PM   #9

Have you tried adjusting the controller to give it more power, a little at a time. Also look at your rollers inside and see if they are on or off the floor, there should be 2 of them. If one or both are off the floor then you will need to adjust.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:10 AM   #10

Can you share what slide controller you have, maybe a picture? Has Newmar re-booted the controller? When I changed out a slide motor I needed to reboot the controller. It's quite simple. You remove a jumper & it's in "learn" mode and then you go inside & run the slide in/out a couple of times. The controller "relearns" current needed to operate. I'm also suspect there is a sticking point where the slide is not freely able to retract for some reason & it isn't the controller at all. As suggested maybe have someone operate retraction button and you be outside helping to push the slide in.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #11

Thank you all for trying to help us...but alas it is something ELSE!

The motor was replaced and the issue started immediately again. Apparently something PHYSICAL is wrong. Either the slide out box is hitting something, it may be out of alignment somehow (although it does not appear so), a track may be out of whack, who knows? BUT...
The slide out goes out, then will not come in. It moves in about 2" before the motor cuts out due to fail safes. In order to bring it in, we have to disconnect the bushings and such per Newmar instructions, then JACK UP THE SLIDE OUT BOX VERY HIGH to be able to manually push it in so as to not burn out another motor.

Has ANYONE in the Newmar community ever experienced something like this? This is a 2019...so it's not very old. It's in the shop (again) but I'm not sure these folks know what may be the issue so we're asking this community...
If everything is "working correctly" - what else could be causing the slide to not come in? What in the world could be blocking it?
Old 06-06-2023, 10:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2squared View Post
Thank you all for trying to help us...but alas it is something ELSE!

The motor was replaced and the issue started immediately again. Apparently something PHYSICAL is wrong. Either the slide out box is hitting something, it may be out of alignment somehow (although it does not appear so), a track may be out of whack, who knows? BUT...
The slide out goes out, then will not come in. It moves in about 2" before the motor cuts out due to fail safes. In order to bring it in, we have to disconnect the bushings and such per Newmar instructions, then JACK UP THE SLIDE OUT BOX VERY HIGH to be able to manually push it in so as to not burn out another motor.

Has ANYONE in the Newmar community ever experienced something like this? This is a 2019...so it's not very old. It's in the shop (again) but I'm not sure these folks know what may be the issue so we're asking this community...
If everything is "working correctly" - what else could be causing the slide to not come in? What in the world could be blocking it?

I’ll ask you again is both rollers inside touching the floor?
If not then thats what is causing the bind. There is a adjustment for that.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:53 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
K2squared, I have the exact same coach as you. 2019 Ventana LE 3412.

Same thing happened to us just a few days after we got our new coach home from the dealership in March 2020.

The “kitchen slide” has the most weight of the 4 slides in the 3412 model, (booth dinette, stove, microwave, residential fridge). Ours would go out and down the incline and fully extend, correctly.

The problem would occur when retracting. The slide would come in about a foot until it had to go up the incline, then it would stop dead.

I called Newmar CS and he had me read the LED on the controller to get the amps draw. Diagnosis was that the motor was not getting enough power to get the slide up the incline. Since this was right after Covid-19 shut down everything and it was 200 miles to the dealership, CS shipped me a new controller which should have higher power output than mine. BTW, this particular controller has no adjustments. New controller arrived and didn’t solve the problem. I had to follow the instructions in the coach manual on how to crank the slide in with a socket wrench.

About 7 weeks later, I could finally get the coach back to the dealership for repair under warranty. AFAIK, they just replaced the controller again. Haven’t had any problem since then.

One note: The 2 front controllers are different from the 2 bedroom ones. All 4 are located in the second compartment from the front on the passenger side.
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:53 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My kitchen slide has two motors. I broke one when the coach was about 18 months old. I replaced the motor. About a year later, I broke the same motor again. At the price of them, I was getting frustrated. I called Klauber to plead my case and see if they would break the monopoly and sell me a motor or maybe even the gears. They said no, but put me on hold and spoke with their tech. The tech felt that one motor was seeing too much amperage and was a controller issue.

I replaced both motors, kept one as a spare and replaced the controller. When I set the new limits, I was very careful to stop the slide the second the inside locks fully engaged and when out, as soon as the foam seal started to compress.

Knock on wood.....I haven't had an issue since. I also take one more precaution, I run the engine, usually on High Idle when operating the slides.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out, vent, ventana