Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Evergreen Owners Club
HELP with converter/charger

I think my converter/charger is not working. My batteries are not reading the correct voltage when I am not running my engine. My slide would not go out and my fridge keeps saying low dc. I can here clicking coming from the converter but the fan does not come on. I read that the fan turning means it is charging my batteries. Does anyone know what I can check on my converter to see why the fan is not turning but it make a constant clicking noise? Do I need to buy a new on or can these things be fixed?

Thanks for any information
Cathy
Cathy&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #2

Make and model of converter would help tremendously!
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Evergreen Owners Club
It is an Iota DLS-75. It was on the coach when I bought it in Aug 09. I have had no problems up till now.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
This is a thread from the past on a 55amp Iota. Not known if the 75 is the same, but it may be a starting point. Read it all the way thru for comments and photo's.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/coac...ing-71486.html
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
The click you hear is most likely a circuit breaker. It is telling you that you have a heavy load (or a short). If it is coming from inside the converter then it is the converters thermal overload. Remove the wire on the red terminal on the converter and check to see if it still clicks. If it stops clicking then it might be a battery, if it still clicks it is the converter.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Evergreen Owners Club
I tired to remove the fuses to check them but they will not budge, it's like they are molded into the box. Does that mean my fuses are fried into the box??? Do I need to unplug the converter before I remove the fuses or red wire?? What happens if I remove the converter, will things stop working in my rv? I was told to go and buy a battery charger to hook up to my batteries and that would solve my problem until I get the converter fixed. Any thoughts on that???
Old 06-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK take it slow. Do you know what kind of fuses you have? Colored blade? Glass? Can you post a picture? Or are they circuit breakers? You need to leave the converter plugged in at this time, just undo the wire at the red terminal. And listen for the click.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes you can use a 12v battery charger to keep your batteries up and supply 12v for your other control functions in coach.
Get a good one 10 amp or better.
Disconnect the converter from batteries and unplug from outlet until you get the new one.
CONVERTER REPLACEMENT.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Evergreen Owners Club
I pulled the red wire and the clicking continued in the inverter so does that mean it is my converter? I crank my coach and my batteries read 13.4 after a few minutes and it takes about 24 hours for them to reach 11.2 so they are draining slower than I stated so do you still think it is a battery problem? How would I connect a battery charger to my batteries while I wait for the new converter. I have 4 batteries so which one do I connect to, to charge all 4?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Are these 6 volt batteries or 12 volt? Are they 3 cells each or 6 cells? Can you measure the voltage on the converter black to red terminal?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looking at the battery pictures in this link would be off the feed to the inverter charger + & - of battery feeds.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #12

You need to get a digital volt meter and take some readings. Charging voltage plugged into shore power or generator should be 13.5 volts or higher at the batteries +and - terminals depending on a number of factors like current battery voltage and temperature, whether or not your Todd is equipped with a stand alone pendant, and others. Unplugged from shore power and everything off a fully charged set of batteries reads about 12.8 volts after sitting off the charger for about 12 hours. If there is a discrepancy from these approximate readings you need to make some voltage checks. With your Todd disconnected from the batteries what's it's output voltage? If 0 volts check the fuses on the converter and the 110AC power feeding the outlet the converter is plugged into. If ac power is present pull the converter fuses and check them. Yes, they are replaceable. If they are ok and you have a reading different from 13.5-14.2 you need a new converter.
Todd I think is out of business but they had a lifetime guarantee. However, I experienced some problems with the Todd converters no matter the guarantee I had on a Jayco and ended up going to a Progressive Dynamics converter.
Let us know what you find.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Evergreen Owners Club
Well I changed my converter this morning and I have success. My batteries are reading 13.5 after an hour of charging and everything in the coach seems to be working good. Thanks for all the help and I hope this problem is solved.

Thanks again
Cathy
Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #14

Saweet!
What did u put back in it?
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote