Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #1

Help with Grand Star/Fred

I recently purchased a 2008 Newmar Grand Star 3750 on the FRED Freightliner chassis. Brought it in for a 5k service and they found that both tires have been rubbing against the RV structure frame. As it stands empty, no contact. When loaded or the suspension under compression, the RV frame rubs. Both tires need to be replaced, service reps say not to drive as it is unsafe. So far, Newmar is saying to cut away RV frame. For many reasons I am against this. As you can see in the photo, the piece they want to cut is significant and provides strength and protection. Any similar experiences? Any solutions/suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0492.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	397  
dschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear about your probelms on a new coach. But welcome to iRV2.com. There should be someone along shortly that has some experience with the FRED chassis.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Its hard to tell from the pic but it looks like its hitting that angle iron. Could it just be moved to the other side from where it is now. Having said that have you had it weighed to see if it is overloaded. I would measure to the rubber bumper to see how much travel the axle has then take that measurement and check from the top of the tire anything it might hit.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #4

Hi there,
You have a new rig. I believe the manufacturer is responsible for that type of problem. Here in manitoba canada, your problem is definitely a safety issue and who ever sold that unit to you should be notified. Phone your customer service. BTW did you buy it new?
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome dschafer to irv2.
That piece of angle iron I removed when I installed a air bag system support bracket, on a Mountain Arie I use to have. I recut the iron in question to remount two halves back on angle iron mounted to floor.
The iron is installed by Newmar frame shop to support floor over top of wheel well, the other angle iron will support the floor also.
Someone mounted the floor support to close to the wheel well to start with. Is the other side ok and not hitting the tire on that side?
You can as someone said remove iron rubbing on tire and reverse screws and place large washers on head of screw and place screw in reverse from your picture, it will hold fiberglass to angle iron thats supporting the floor above.
Are your drive tires hitting the roof of wheel well when you have coach loaded in that area?
Thats what was happening to MA gasser Ford chassis, when it rocked to passenger side, and reason I installed air bags.
Your Dealer should correct the problem or maybe a trip to Newmar to correct.
Join us down in the Newmar forum again welcome.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #6

Grand Star Question

Our 2008 Grand Star FRED 3750 was in for chassis service (oil change).
They found tha the coach frame was shaving off the inside of both inner rear tires. Both tires are near failure. Vehicle was flagged: unsafe, not to be driven. Newmar says the fix is to cut away some of the floor and reconnect everything, ultimately moving over the supports on the floor under the holding tanks that are coming in contact with the tires. Mewmar says the holding tank may also have to be replaced as it is too big. Newmar said they have caught most of these at the factory "but a few got away".

There are a few issues with buying a new RV and having this kind of problem/fix to deal with (another rant, another day). For now, has anyone had a similar problem? I have asked Newmar for photos and blue prints of the coach to truely see what is involved. Newmar initially minimlized the repair and when pushed, admitted it is somewhat involved to fix (3 days to repair at the factory).

By the way, love the RV, great floor plan, love the diesel.

Thanks in advance.
dschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A dealer may not want to tackle the job because its to involved. You may need a trip to Newmar.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #8

grandstar tire rub

I have a 2008 Grandstar on the Fred chassis as well. I have 25000 miles before it was brought to my attention by a service tech. They have done the repair on mine. It took a call to the transportation safety board to get the ball rolling though. Newmar has been good though . They found an independant shop in my area that could do the work. I have two new tires and there is room for them.
In other issues though keep an eye on the roller under your refridgerator. They have replaced mine 3 times and are now planing to put a 2nd roller under to carry the weight .

Other than that we love the layout.

John
quickone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
quickone welcome to the Newmar forum and irv2.
The roller your talking about is on a slide under your refrigerator is that correct?
Others maybe interested with your fix for another roller if they are having same problem. What size fridge two door or 4 door 1200?
Enjoy the forum and do post often.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #10

I have the 4 door norcold . Newmar's dealer in Lynwood Washington has the tech there with a plan to ad 1 or 2 rollers under the refer to carry the weight . It goes in next Monday . i will let you know how it goes .

The tell tale sign for me was a few little ball bearings laying on the floor after deploying the slide room . Have someone run the slide out or in well you watch the roller under the refer. It will shock you at the flex in that little 1/4 inch roller axle.

I will let you know how they make out.

Happy trails to you!

John
Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #11

I have not had extra rollers placed under my refer!!!

When the tech(whos idea it was to add rollers) tried to do it . It was discovered that the existing rollers are recessed in to the bottom of the slide room. If he was going to add roller or rollers the slide room would have to be removed from the coach . The floor would need to be routered out to exact same depth as the existing rollers.

In other words this is a factory job that as full time employee of my own company is not going happen in the near future .

The service rep told me to just keep an eye on it and when the roller lets go again(and it will) we call Newmar get it fixed again.

I am on the third roller now and they say that it will just happen again.

So if you have the large Norcold refer (4 door) in your Grandstar 3750 keep an eye on the floor under it and watch for small ball bearings.

John