Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #1

Help with inverter conversion

Hi, NEWB question: i want to change the 400w inverter in the cabinet over driver on 98 DSDP with a Xantrex Freedom 438 inverter/charger. With all that is in the electrical bay (BIRD, etc), any advice and wiring diagrams would help. I have Xantrex's install diagrams but they are specific to what I am doing here.

Thanks
olsbergma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #2

If you want more inverter powered outlets, your going to need to do some extensive rewiring in the main breaker panel.

That and the new unit will need new heavy battery cables, preferably close to the batteries. Once installed, you can remove the old converter/charger.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #3

Not a DIY project.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsbergma View Post
Hi, NEWB question: i want to change the 400w inverter in the cabinet over driver on 98 DSDP with a Xantrex Freedom 438 inverter/charger. With all that is in the electrical bay (BIRD, etc), any advice and wiring diagrams would help. I have Xantrex's install diagrams but they are specific to what I am doing here.

Thanks
OK, with your description of the 400 watt inverter location , things were changed dramatically between 98 & 99.
In 99 the converter/ charger is in the power cord bay and the 400 watt inverter for the AV cabinet and two other plugs in the passenger seat area is in the compartment behind the passenger side dual wheels . It was probably moved from the AV cabinet due to the heat it produces.
I'll have to pull up the specs on the 438 , but at first though , if your wanting to power anything other than the AV components , you could be looking at a major rewiring of the whole coach.
I'll be back .
Old 09-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Not a DIY project.
OK ; I'm not 100% sure what your trying to achieve with the 438 , but after 40+ years in automotive repair and acting as contractor on my own new house ,I would be reluctant to start on this type of conversion on my coach .
The factory install of the optional large 2000 watt inverter charger , included a 120 volt sub distribution panel to support all the inverted 120 volt circuits . Different wiring of the 12 volt supply cables , probably to the compartment behind the pass side dual wheels , 120 volt supply to that compartment , and 120 volt to the sub panel , then from the sub panel to the inverted outlets .
Please tell us what your trying to achieve . Because I'm thinking you may be looking at dropping sections of ceiling, and opening up walls to accomplish it.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
OK ; I'm not 100% sure what your trying to achieve with the 438 , but after 40+ years in automotive repair and acting as contractor on my own new house ,I would be reluctant to start on this type of conversion on my coach .
The factory install of the optional large 2000 watt inverter charger , included a 120 volt sub distribution panel to support all the inverted 120 volt circuits . Different wiring of the 12 volt supply cables , probably to the compartment behind the pass side dual wheels , 120 volt supply to that compartment , and 120 volt to the sub panel , then from the sub panel to the inverted outlets .
Please tell us what your trying to achieve . Because I'm thinking you may be looking at dropping sections of ceiling, and opening up walls to accomplish it.
Thanks, I have no issues with wiring but I was given the Xantrex and wanted to get to the ability to provide power to the outlets. I was thinking along the lines of the equivalent of the backup generator concept for a home.. generator type panel to get the electricity to the same outlets. This is for the 98 Dutch Star to replace the 400 watt inverter for a/v only. Given the size of the 438, i will have to put it on the passenger side in front of the batteries since the current electrical bay is on the driver side.
olsbergma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, inverter