RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #1

Help with the satellite and Direct TV please!

Our "new to us" coach is a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar and it apparently has a satellite on top. We have been told it works with Direct TV and DISH and the coach was rewired in 2005. We had the guy from Direct TV come out and set it up for our house and he brought a receiver for the RV but didn't know how to hook it up. So, we called a local audio store (anyone from middle GA we called Ken's Audio) and they said they could do it. Well, they came out and still didn't know how to hook the thing up. These guys tried for a couple of hours and then said they "couldn't make heads or tails out of it". Has anyone had good luck doing this yourself or advice on who to call out next? My husband is ready to buy a portable satellite and TV and try to hook it up that way but I hate to do that when we are pretty sure the one on the roof works we just don't know which wires go where.
Thanks in advance for any help!!

EydieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

Hi. I just finished installing DirecTV receivers in our new rig. Ours has a Winegard dome that supports standard def. only. To use high def. receivers, I had to install an inline converter called B-Band converter. It doesn't give you HD but allows use of HD equipment on a standard def. dish.

It may not apply to your situation but something to check.

kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #3

Hi EydieG,
if you have a switch box and I think you do all you need to do is run a short piece of coax cable between the Direct TV or Dish network box and the switch box where it is marked "sat input". You will also need to find the feed cable from the reciever on the roof and connect it to the input connection on the reciever in the compartment. If you do not have a switch box, connect the feed cable to the box and run a cable from the connection marked "TV OUT" to your TV. Good luck and congrats on your "NEW" coach, it will be a great coach.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #4

When I bought our '01 Mountain Aire last March it had a TracVision LM dish and no receiver. I looked on their website for a local tech. Took the coach to his house, where he spent 3 hours trying to make it work with one of my standard def receivers still under contract. Told me I needed a new dish and he could set the whole coach up wireless for $3760. What a deal!

Anyhow, I had an RV tech out to fix my inverter. He also looked at the dish and had me watching DirecTV with my receiver in less than 30 minutes. Told me that in order to locate and track the standard def DirecTV satellite, I needed to buy a reconditioned older model receiver from an on-line retailer for $99 freight included, no tax. I did, installed it myself and had DirecTV transfer the access card from my house receiver to this reconditioned one. Works fine.

Bottom line...this ain't rocket science. Just find someone who knows what they are doing...which doesn't include ripping you off.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi EydieG,

I use the term "dome". If you have an external dish on the roof, the term "dome" can be use interchangeably with an external dish.

While the dome (I'm assuming it is a dome that automatically finds the correct satellite) will work with both Direct TV and Dish, you need to know which service it was programmed to find. To program the dome call the manufacturer or go to their web site. Unless you know the dome was programmed properly whatever else you do may be time and expense wasted.

To KISS the initial installation, the receiver can be installed directly to the cable coming from the dome. Bypass all boxes, switches, etc. Connect the receiver directly to the TV.

If the dome has found the correct satellite, you should have TV. The next step is to connect the switch boxes and other components you may have.

If the company that made the roof top dome no longer supports your model, that is bad news. You may need to purchase a new dome.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #6

Air Baron had the correct answer. Older "Domes" like yours do not know when it locks on the correct satellite. "Legacy" Domes from KVH have a low speed data cord (looks like a phone cord) that must be connected to a low speed data port on the back of your DirecTV receiver. Problem is DirecTV stopped building receivers with low speed data ports about 5 years ago, and that is why you need to hunt down an older receiver that has a built in low speed data port. The low speed data port informs the dome when you are locked on the 101 DirecTV satellite.

Since your coach was built before 2004, you have a standard defintion TV. If you want to take advatage of a new High Defintion TV that you may install later to enjoy High Definition channels, you will need to buy and install a Winegaard model SKU3005 open face (with automatic search and lock) antenna. The new TV must be hooked up using either a componet or HDMI cable connected between it and a new HD Satellite Receiver, like a DirecTV model H24. (an H25 will not work with this dish). An HR24 (HD DVR) will require 2 coax cables to be attched to Sat 1 and 2 in on the back of the receiver in order to watch one channel while you record another.

There are currently no DirecTV HD Dome type antenae on the market. However, all the companies make a Dish Network HD compatible HD Dome. You will need a dome for in-motion viewing. (Not all Domes are in-motion). The Winegaard SK1000 (open Face) uses Dish Pro Plus single wire technology that allows you to connect a dual tuner (Dish Network) receiver with just one wire. Even though DirecTV incorporates single wire (SWiM) technology into their residential systems, no Dish manufacturer has figured out how to do this for the Automatic Search and Lock RV market. No open face dishes can be used in motion.
Johnpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #7

EydieG

Johnpass knows his stuff and to think he posted for the first time!

Just in case you are interested, I was told to buy a DirecTV D10-100 Receiver from 2000networks.com

Looking at the invoice, I lied. The price was $99.95 plus $7.00 tax plus $15.14 shipping. It was delivered to the campground in 2 days.

The bottom line is in-motion satellite TV is not worth spending a whole bunch of money on. We have used it only a couple of times while full-timing the last 4 months. Finding camp sites without trees blocking the signal is a far bigger problem. Then you are better off having a remote dish like a Tailgater that searches and locks on. Neither will work in a heavy rain storm.

Better yet...watch all the free HD channels with a good air antenna. Or read a book.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
EydieG

Better yet...watch all the free HD channels with a good air antenna. Or read a book.
There ya go! Good suggestion. Over the years and with various rigs, we had assorted methods of connecting our DirecTV receiver -- from a free-standing dish (try to keep that steady when boondocking in the desert wind! ) to installing an auto-tracking KingDome. Everything we used either started out or eventually became a big frustration.

Now, with our new coach we have eliminated the problem by not having any satellite. We take more walks and have more campfires, we read more books, we bring DVDs, and in a pinch we watch whatever is coming in over the air. Unless we were full-timing, I don't think we would bother with it again.

Not to say that will work for everyone, just MHO.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help. I think this is so far beyond my comprehension we need to find someone that knows about this locally and get them to check it out. We really need the TV (sorry guys, I do read most all of the time) but my husband wanted this mostly for tailgating and he wants to be able to watch sports channels like ESPN while waiting for our game to start. Talking to the rep from Direct TV he said it would be easy but boy was he wrong. We will start calling local places tomorrow morning.
Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #10

You might try calling the dome manufacturer. I know that KingDome gave us a lot more help by phone than DirecTV ever did when we had a question. KingDome techs walked us through any issues we had.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #11

my son who has a computer tech business
mapped every line in my 2000 dsdp for me so we could figure out which cable goes where and what it goes through. It made it easy to upgrade equiptment and understand how all the entertainment devices are wired and their route through the rv. It was an electronic tool that he said all techs have. It connects to an end of any cable and it sends a signal over the line allowing you to touch the other ends with another tool which reads that signal. He then drew a schematic for the entire coach's cableing.
If you find a tech who has the tool he can track the line from the dish etc or I'm sure you could buy the tool from radio shack or other business but it might be cheaper to pay someone for a few hours to do it as it goes much faster with two people working together
tommildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I find the in motion feature quite valuable. The scenario is:
1. When registering at the CG, the dome is turned on and finds the satellite.
2. When slowly pulling into the assigned site the in motion feature will continue to keep the dish locked onto the satellite.
3. If there is a line of site blocking problem I know where, on the site, I was when the signal was lost and can quickly reposition the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #13

Thanks Air Baron for the vote of confidence. I only know this stuff because I am a 12 year RV owner (currently own a 40' Sportscoach Elite) and a 16 year Veteran Satellite TV Dealer in the Southern California area. I found out that in general, Satelite TV Dealers don't know squat about RVs and RV Dealers don't know squat about Satellite TV.

I bridge the gap between DirecTV and Dish Network technology and RV Dealers. RV Dealers may know how to install a dome but are clueless about Satellite TV technology. Because the Satellite TV industry is constantly changing, the local Camping World and other independant RV Dealers refer their problem cases to me.

My Sports Coach was prewired for KVH, but I elected to install a Kingdome 9762 and 2 Dual Tuner DVRs, both independantly switchable to 4 onboard TVs.

Home Page
Johnpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #14

Wow, Johnpass I wish you were in middle Georgia. You are so right about no one from Direct TV has any clue about RV's and the local RV dealer/store doesn't know much about the satellite, even though they sell them. Someone on another board recommended we try Camping World. They didn't know any thing either and their only solution was to replace the roof satellite and rewire the whole thing at the price of $3,700. So now we are thinking we will just get one of the portable satellite things for now and hope it will work.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
satellite