Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Help with understanding AGS

Being new to Class A ownership I'm constantly learning new things and I thought I knew how to work the AGS. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the subject for me because I've now had 4 times my coach has been dead and in need of charging the Batts to get it to run, x2 while in for warranty work because they didn't listen and failed to plug it in and x2 at storage facility because of wiring issues in the building. The first time in storage when it was dead I didn't have the AGS on and thats when I made sure I understood how the AGS works and make sure its set every time I drop coach off. My issue was yesterday I stopped by to get some items out of the coach and low and behold its basically dead (was only dropped off on Saturday 3/31). Now it was plugged in and I could see the plug did have power as their cord has the lighted end. Now we once again charge up the Batts to where I can get coach and generator started and charge everything back up. After getting the coach running and charging the batteries for about 45min I shut everything off and then want to confirm AC power, well when I do this I get the yellow "Open Ground" on my Silverleaf. I tried multiple different outlets on three different poles and junction boxes and get the same on screen. I'm guessing my Surge Guard will not charge with this situation going on, does this sound correct? I ultimately hunt around to where I find an outlet two rows away that I can stretch my power cord to that I'd get the green "All Ok" on my Silverleaf. I'll be heading back tomorrow to recheck and confirm all is well. My biggest question in this long post is why didn't my AGS start the generator to keep the Batts charged up? Thanks for any knowledge anyone can give me. Also that being said the AGS has worked previously while in front of my house without issues. Thanks for any help, Brad
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #2

I believe there is a micro-switch that allows the AGS to start providing the generator slide is completely in the retracted position, it is called the "Safety Lock" on the Silver Leaf. It is visible from the passenger side of the generator slide when it is fully extended. Unfortunately the slide tends to move slightly out after a period of storage time. When that switch is not pressed it prevents the AGS from starting. This is a safety feature designed to protect anyone working in or around the genset when it is in the open position.

So, to assure this will not restrict the starting on the AGS, unplug the one wire connector connected to the switch and wrap it safely away from any components. The generator will now start if the AGS is activated even if the generator slide is not fully positioned in the retract mode.

Hopefully, that works on yours and is a help.

Peter
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote