Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 10:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Angry Help: Wrecker Coming to Pull Us Out of Mud

Need Help: we are stuck in the mud at a campsite blocking the roadway. Coach-net is sending someone to “wench” us out . What do we need to make sure they do or do not do so the coach is not damaged? Any advice? ’21 Mountain Aire 4118
mmstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
A couple of things I can think of.
Disconnect the toad. If you haven’t already.
If you can put the jacks down find something like some 2x12 planks to put under them and help you get some lift. If you can, remove any excess mud in front of your tires and remove anything that might damage the underside if you can do it safely.
If you can place anything under the tires, even folded patio matts to help the coach get up out of the mud. Just don’t use things like tree branches.

When we were new to the big heavy Motorhome thing I made the mistake of pulling too far down the slope in front of our “bus barn” after several days of rain and got our 2015 Anthem stuck in the mud. I did what I described above and managed to get the coach back up the hill and out of the mud all on my own, but it took about 4 hours.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #3

I've stuck my 4523 axle deep in mud. Trying to get it out made it worse... a lot worse. If your insurance covers a tow, let them do it.

Don't do any prep for the tow truck driver unless they tell you to do it. He may want the toad connected.

The driver will likely use a soft shackle and wrap them around your frame. They will make sure that it is not touching anything.

Take before, during and after pictures.... just in case you need them for insurance.

My RV was perfectly fine after the first rainstorm washed the underside for me....LOL

-B
BrokeDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #4

Be sure they block under your frame to lower the cable so it doesn't hit the fiberglass front cowling at the bottom of front cap.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #5

I can't even think of why the tow truck would want the toad attached...it certainly won't make the pull any easier.

If you have access to sheets of plywood, and 2x12's, it would be great to put blockage under the jacks and lift the front tires out of the mud, and put the plywood under the tires and then set the jacks back down. That would make the pull go a lot easier. That's the kind of time / TLC that most tow trucks won't do.

The more surface area under the jack pads, the better so the pads don't sink in the mud (which would make it VERY hard to tow out if stuck down). Don't let them get buried, especially if they use springs to raise the legs (which won't have the strength to unstuck the leg when buried).

Just be careful with the lift as the mud will be trying to hold the rig down even more than the weight typically is for the jacks. Go slow. Let the mud stiction relax before inching it up higher. Don't get underneath the rig for any reason.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I can't even think of why the tow truck would want the toad attached...it certainly won't make the pull any easier.

If you have access to sheets of plywood, and 2x12's, it would be great to put blockage under the jacks and lift the front tires out of the mud, and put the plywood under the tires and then set the jacks back down. That would make the pull go a lot easier. That's the kind of time / TLC that most tow trucks won't do.

The more surface area under the jack pads, the better so the pads don't sink in the mud (which would make it VERY hard to tow out if stuck down). Don't let them get buried, especially if they use springs to raise the legs (which won't have the strength to unstuck the leg when buried).

Just be careful with the lift as the mud will be trying to hold the rig down even more than the weight typically is for the jacks. Go slow. Let the mud stiction relax before inching it up higher. Don't get underneath the rig for any reason.
Maybe the toad is 4X4 and can push, he said with a grin.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
This is a 41' Newmar. Nothing about it will be easy.

I would let the professional on the scene make the call. We are guessing at best.

For those that think it is better to unhook, watch Matt's Offroad Recovery on youtube.
BrokeDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmstump View Post
Need Help: we are stuck in the mud at a campsite blocking the roadway. Coach-net is sending someone to “wench” us out . What do we need to make sure they do or do not do so the coach is not damaged? Any advice? ’21 Mountain Aire 4118
Hope you got out without incident. Let us know how it went.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #9

Hope tow truck showed up with a 'winch' vs 'wench'....LOL

Did you get pulled out safely and W/O damage

Stuck in MUD is no fun!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
Don't do any prep for the tow truck driver unless they tell you to do it. He may want the toad connected.

Why would he want the toad connected??

I don't want my toad dragged through the ruts left in the mud by a vehicle size of a Class A.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #11

We really need some better description to give a valuable opinion. If your stuck in the mud, (one rear wheel only?), not a big deal, I've been there. You're blocking the driveway? Surely, the part of the coach that's blocking the driveway, has two tires on the driveway. I think the poster made it sound like a bigger deal than it is.
If she backed the two rear wheels off into the mud, just hook on the front and ease it out onto the driveway.
If the posters information is correct, "Two Chicks and a Coach", it's not likely that the tow truck operator will highly value their opinion of how to do things.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:54 PM   #12

I got one buried to the axle one time. The driver did a quick walk around and determined it would be better to winch it from the back since it was a pull thru. It made sense since it was slightly downhill and had less obstruction. He was young but very professional and took his time getting us out. In his words, "this is not a job you want to rush. The object is to get you out without damaging anything" and he did. My point is that the people doing this are professionals and have had lots of training so trust them.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
First things first. Make sure that Coach-Net has sent the proper sized tow truck and an experienced operator. Lots of times they get this wrong right from the get go and send too small a truck and someone that's never done anything like this before.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
mmstump ... are you out yet? If so how did it go. Any advice for us folks on the sideline?

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote