Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

hercules tires

05dsdp have michellins now was told by ted weins a tire chain they are not made for hot weather out west so going with hercules h rating and are suppose to have really good side walls
overthemtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthemtn View Post
05dsdp have michellins now was told by ted weins a tire chain they are not made for hot weather out west so going with hercules h rating and are suppose to have really good side walls

You've got to be kidding! I wouldn't believe the guy.... if I wanted to confirm that, I would call Michelin.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

Michelin have H rating too! Better take a breath and think about this. There are thousands of motor homes running Michelin, I don't know one that run Hurcules. For me, no way!

Peter
Old 07-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm with Peter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Michelin have H rating too! Better take a breath and think about this. There are thousands of motor homes running Michelin, I don't know one that run Hurcules. For me, no way!

Peter

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #5

its just because the side walls crack so bad even when covered all the time we already had two replaced after 3 years because of the side walls.
they said they are having allot of problems with michellins out here in the west
its not that they arent a good tire they are its just that they are not made for the extreme heat conditions they are made of a more natural rubber and are better in the east and midwest.
suns uvrays tear them apart
Old 07-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthemtn View Post
its just because the side walls crack so bad even when covered all the time we already had two replaced after 3 years because of the side walls.
they said they are having allot of problems with michellins out here in the west
its not that they arent a good tire they are its just that they are not made for the extreme heat conditions they are made of a more natural rubber and are better in the east and midwest.
suns uvrays tear them apart
I just replaced mine, for age safety, in the west at Lewiston Idaho. I made sure the dates were all reasonably current. They are ZXA 2. The only Michelin I ever heard of have sidewall issues was the XRV series. I may be wrong but I would not use these. Any of the ZXA series work exceptionally well. The west is no different in my opinion, tires are tires,

Peter
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #7

I agree with Peter and the others. I have run Michlins in the west for over 16 years and have only replaced them for age never any cracking.This is in S. Cal, AZ, NM, and TX. I don't cover my tires, but do use 303 on them regularly. Never heard of Hercules tires where are they made? China?

After hearing this I would never go to a place called Weins for tires or anything else.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have XRV's on my coach with no cracks and 8 years old.
Have never had anything but Michelins on all three coach's and will stay with them when they get changed this fall.
Oh yes a blow out never had that problem either.
Please post in 8 years how your SOB tires worked out in 8 years, than we can compare.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #9

hercules tires are made in north america and have been around since the early 50's.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #10

I'm sure Hurcules Tire makes a good tire, or they would not still be around. Michelin Tires have and are being used on thousands and thousands of coaches. I've used them on my cars and SUV's and on my motor homes, 4 in total. Please don't think I, or we, are attacking your feekings, but your feelings are based on what a competitive tire retailer said. His statement, or at least your interputation, is that Michelins don't work well in the west or heat. This is not a true statement and lends itself to distrust of that tire man. Whether you use Hurcules tires or not is certainly your choice and I'm not going to tell you that it is a wrong choice. However, your apparent reason to not selecting the Michelin brand is inaccurately distorted.
I think I understand that you have had issues with Michelin tires. Many of us have not, in fact have had extraordinary service from them. And as I am often reminded, "Don't fix it if it aint broken."
Best of luck with your choice.

Peter
Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #11

Hercules Tire

Hercules Tire is headquartered in Findlay Ohio so would be considered a US company. When I grew up Ohio was the rubber capital. We had Firestone, Goodyear, Cooper and apparently Hercules (although it was founded in 1952 I'm not sure where it was founded). From the web:
"Several generations of the same family are or have been employees of Hercules Tire & Rubber Company. Founded by a group of independent tire dealers in 1952. Hercules provides it products to independent tire dealers and RETREADERS. The Company exists to strengthen the independent tire dealer. The tire division offers a branded program that provides a wide range of nearly 20 name brand tires and TIRE-RELATED products. Tire Dealer S Warehouse and Hercules Tire Canada are HERCULES-OWNED wholesale distribution centers that serve the local independent dealer with hercules AS well AS major brand and associate brand products. Hercules Tire & Rubber Company's main office and plant are located in Findlay. Ohio."

Of course now they are international just like most companies. They source their manufacturing from both Cooper in the US and China.

With Chinese tires, it's buyer beware - Business - Autos - msnbc.com

Section of the above article:
For many drivers, the trade spat might raise the question of how safe are tires imported from China, given that country's poor safety record on other products including toothpaste, pet food, toys and drywall.

The answer depends on whether you buy Chinese-made tires from name brands like Goodyear or Michelin, vs. Chinese-label tires or those made in China under contract for some private store labels, tests show.

Tire manufacturers, many of which have moved some production to China to save money, say that production techniques and materials are the same no matter where the tires are made, and that their Chinese tires are every bit as good as those made elsewhere in the world.
“The Chinese tires coming into this country for the most part have been safe tires,” said Roy Littlefield, executive vice president of the Tire Industry Association. “All the tires have to be tested before they come here," he said, referring to U.S. government testing and standards.

“We have same global quality standards around the world,” said Keith Price, a spokesman for Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. “The standards are the same whether we make it in Oklahoma, Germany, Brazil, Indonesia, or China, the product standards are the same.”

Jim Smith, editor of Tire Review, a trade magazine, said he has seen this for himself. “Michelin is very persnickety,” he said. “At the Chinese plant you couldn’t tell if you were in China or in South Carolina. The plant has the same controls, the same machines and the same uniforms on the workers.”
----------------------
Basically they said buy the brand name you like and trust to manufacture a good tire. In Denver I've had Hercules Tires recommended to me by tire sellers. However, they aren't going to argue with you if you love Michelins. They will sell you what you want. I put Hankook tires made in South Korea on my RV. When I did my research both Michelin and Goodyear seemed to have alot of problems with their RV tires. Bridgestone had alot of good reviews but I had trouble finding six all season tires in my local area and would have had to wait until after a 1500 mile trip for the new tires so went with the Hankook based on fewer, but all positive, on-line reviews.

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #12

just found this interesting
i called michellin direct and asked them if i ordered rv tires would i be getting a fairly newly dated tire they could not answer me and it could be a year or two depending on where they came from.
than i called good year direct asking the same qustion and they also told me the same thing could be a year or two on the date depending where it came from.
so i than asked both companies could i put in a request to only have a newly dated tire and they both said no.
my michellins are no longer made so when the two front side walls had a major issue they gave me some other style now these tires were only 2 years old when replaced.
just thought i would share this info with everyone
so i guess what basically works for you is what you get i am not backing any brand at all just researching all brands and hope to make the right decision.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Did you ask them about the tires not being good for use out West, because of the heat?

P.S. When I bought my Michelins, I checked the date before purchasing. For me that was available since my dealer sells hundreds of them to trucking firms and, therefore, has them coming in continously.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #14

I bought my replacement Michelins from Les Schwab Tire. I told them they must be recent. There were about 3 months into 2011 and I personally checked each one. They knew I would not accept them if they were too old. I think any good dealer would understand this.

Peter

Tags
tires