Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Lot of nice people here. We have a couple of young children, maybe the only ones here. Everyone has been gracious and accommodating. We are trying not to commit a faux pas (fox pass in English) amongst our distinguished hosts and fellow rallyers.

It is chilly, especially for Florida. Everyone is inside so not much happening. Hoping for a stroll to meet some folks.

No power until tomorrow, maybe. Not sure how that happens as this has been planned for sometime. Told it was a new contractor. Hope somebody gets some dough back.

Newmar Service - Outstanding as usual.

Story:
Waited in line for over an hour to sign up for service items. I did this more to meet people as I was under the impression via this forum that they would not get to me as I'm out of warranty. Consequently, met at least 10 people in line and made some outstanding acquaintances.

Carl, who wrote my items, accepted four items to repair, not the three I was told. He also doubled up some items. We had a nice chat. He coached me to ask questions about other items that the guys could answer while working.

Carl also said they would probably get to me today or tomorrow. Whoa, what a great surprise.

Back at the coach by 2:00 p.m. trying to figure this whole rally thing out. 3:30, Newmar guys show up to fix the items. Now I am impressed. One item was an inop passenger power visor. They had to order part and have it overnighted. I have to leave early on Th. so Newmar is shipping a new one to my house. Newmar guy, Glenn, showed me how to install it.

They fixed a slide problem, replaced two fluorescent lights and a real sticky gen compartment release lever. They also allowed me to help and educate me.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Lot of nice people here. We have a couple of young children, maybe the only ones here. Everyone has been gracious and accommodating. We are trying not to commit a faux pas (fox pass in English) amongst our distinguished hosts and fellow rallyers.

It is chilly, especially for Florida. Everyone is inside so not much happening. Hoping for a stroll to meet some folks.

No power until tomorrow, maybe. Not sure how that happens as this has been planned for sometime. Told it was a new contractor. Hope somebody gets some dough back.

Newmar Service - Outstanding as usual.

Story:
Waited in line for over an hour to sign up for service items. I did this more to meet people as I was under the impression via this forum that they would not get to me as I'm out of warranty. Consequently, met at least 10 people in line and made some outstanding acquaintances.

Carl, who wrote my items, accepted four items to repair, not the three I was told. He also doubled up some items. We had a nice chat. He coached me to ask questions about other items that the guys could answer while working.

Carl also said they would probably get to me today or tomorrow. Whoa, what a great surprise.

Back at the coach by 2:00 p.m. trying to figure this whole rally thing out. 3:30, Newmar guys show up to fix the items. Now I am impressed. One item was an inop passenger power visor. They had to order part and have it overnighted. I have to leave early on Th. so Newmar is shipping a new one to my house. Newmar guy, Glenn, showed me how to install it.

They fixed a slide problem, replaced two fluorescent lights and a real sticky gen compartment release lever. They also allowed me to help and educate me.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Get together Wed 1/16/08 5pm Newmar tent
Come and meet each other before you go to dinner

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
At the show all day yesterday. This is the first time the DW has had a chance to look in depth at so many coaches. We also looked at coaches at LazyDays about a week ago.

Essex is the winner. DW wants front kitchen and rear bath which does not exist and can't per Ken Williamson at Newmar and others.

We are waiting on a few new features such as a full wall slide (if it truly adds sq. footage) and the integrated power system from Cummins. Will likely order '10 model during '09 summer.

Have to tell you though that we both just fell in love w/the Newell parked outside Building B. My highlight is the popup TV in front of the 50" picture window in the living area.

If that widow of the ex-prime minister of Nigeria wires the $10m she promised me via email, then were in.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #5

Now that is funny!

Scott, I hope you will buy mine too!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:20 AM   #6

Scott At the Toronto RV Show yesterday, Had a look at all that was there No Prevost, Newell or Country Coach or Marathon but most of the production lines, Newmar, Monaco, Holiday Rambler,Tiffin, Triple E, Beaver, Fleetwood and My$.02 other than The Cabinetry and wood work in the Beaver Your "Dutch Star" will not take a back seat to very many!!!

Rick
Old 01-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JavaJelly:

If that widow of the ex-prime minister of Nigeria wires the $10m she promised me via email, then were in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott, that is a great line, but you may have one other hope. I heard your wife say that " maybe you all will have a GREAT camping season at your campground this year!

On a more serious note, it is really refreshing and neat to see a young family enjoying the lifestyle so many of us do when we are older and retired. Congratulations and keep up the momentum with your family. I am always pleased to see younger families being able to travel. Enjoyed meeting you at the show in Tampa.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On a more serious note, it is really refreshing and neat to see a young family enjoying the lifestyle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Scott! I second that! Maybe next time your daughter will give me a bite of her Ice Cream Cone?? Paul
Old 01-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> On a more serious note, it is really refreshing and neat to see a young family enjoying the lifestyle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been traveling and now home and starting to get settled. Drove through a snowstorm today up in Erie.

Thanks for the thoughts. I actually took a 2 month sabbatical from my old corporate life (tons of travel around the world) in 2003 to buy an RV and camp. As I got to spend time w/my kids, meet other campers and campground owners, I had a revelation.

I wanted to own my own business, namely a campgrund in the North because of the seasonality and that would allow us time to RV in the off season.

We looked at 25 different campgrounds and found a great opportunity here outside of Buffalo. "Opportunity" means lots of potential but, lots of work needed. It's been a great business so far.

Anyway, the RVing lifestyle is a really great way to spend the time w/the family. We get to meet some wonderful people. As you said though, very few young families. It would be nice to meet more but, we understand that our working season is most family's camping season.

Also, the seemingly huge coach gets real small sometimes w/the whole family in there for extended periods of time.

FYI, owning a campground has nothing to do w/camping, at least running a profitable one doesn't. There is little downtime (like most small business owners). However, I am in total control of my schedule for 4 months and it is getting easier.

Our camping season is done for now. I will head out to Spartan and Newmar next month for annual repairs and then we'll try to camp locally in the spring. Over the summer we occasionally camp in our own place just to get an evening away. However, you would not believe how hard it is to get privacy.