Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #127

Outdoors RV Owners Club
"Also, we should never use duct or duck tape on our paint. Top quality Painters tape only. It will keep the windows off the pavement, I hope."

Thank you for the tip. I now have 1 window (bedroom slide - emergency egress) that is starting to separate. Need to find a competent dealer willing to do the replacement that is in the PNW or hope I can hold out till I get to NIRV in Vegas this winter.

I had to epoxy my bath window when it separated from the metal hand crank. I also have a window next to the door that doesn't like to close 100%, unless I give it a good shove from outside to seat it.

Kinda wish I had windows like the Phaeton next to me. They slide side2side and are framed. No chance of either of the 3 issues mentioned above with that design.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #128

Was kind of hoping, praying, that our 2020 Ventana, built in July, would not have window problems, but...., just did a walk around and noticed the kitchen and half bath windows are separating. The larger Windows seem ok for now. Has anyone put epoxy, or other adhesives to keep them intact ? I'll go ahead and notify Newmar and dealer but would hate for them to fall off while driving.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Was kind of hoping, praying, that our 2020 Ventana, built in July, would not have window problems, but...., just did a walk around and noticed the kitchen and half bath windows are separating. The larger Windows seem ok for now. Has anyone put epoxy, or other adhesives to keep them intact ? I'll go ahead and notify Newmar and dealer but would hate for them to fall off while driving.

Yes, I have on our 2020 New Aire until the new one comes in and it appears to be holding after 3 months and several thousand miles.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Yes, I have on our 2020 New Aire until the new one comes in and it appears to be holding after 3 months and several thousand miles.
Thx. Better option than letting them fall off.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #131

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used adhesive for the bath window which lasted for awhile but high heat in AZ required me to do again. Holding since April probably about 3500 miles.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #132

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post

good to know. wasn't sure I wanted to completely detach it, so am using blue painters tape to help what is still attached. But the blue tape looks silly and makes feel I am on an episode of The Red Green Show. ~lol
Old 08-14-2020, 06:22 AM   #133

Do not use epoxy, it is too hard. Here is the product to use. Clean edge with alcohol. https://www.dkhardware.com/black-sil...UaAosMEALw_wcB
jrupinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #134

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of these window issues are the result of us (the customer) demanding the manufacturers transition from the old, ugly, rubber gasketed, fully framed, sliding style windows to these sleek, frame less, flush fitting style windows so that our coaches look more like $2.0M+ Prevost buses. However, we also demanded that our windows still open, where as Prevost bus windows do not. This is the result...

Now, should they fall out going down the highway? Of course not.

In my opinion, there is only one window in our coaches properly engineered to actually be opened and that is the power sliding driver's "toll" window. We no longer attempt to open any of the windows operated by the round knob connected to those thin metal strips to the glass.
Vettesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #135

Yes, I miss the sliding windows on our unit. I like fresh air and lots of it!
jrupinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #136

Newmar Owners Club
Joined the window failing club. Driving down the interstate I noticed the bathroom window was flapping in the 65 mph wind going down the road. Of course I had just passed the exit so I had to drive about 5 miles to the next exit hopeing it did not fly off. I guess I could have pulled off the road right there but the thought of trying to fix anything thing on the driver side with folks flying by at 70 mph was not an option. I don't think I would look good as a hood ornament.
Good news window stayed on until the next exit. taped her up and moved on. The failure was the adhesive on the metal bracket to the window not the window separation most seen to have had.

Called Newmar they are fixing out of warranty item as "known problem". So I'm now having 2 Windows replaced at the mothership in September. First one was defective at delivery. Did not close properly.
Beach Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #137

Have bathroom window. I was scheduled for Monday at Mothership for another reason. Will add this to list. Hope my tape job from Alabama holds.
drdonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #138

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettesniper View Post
We no longer attempt to open any of the windows operated by the round knob connected to those thin metal strips to the glass.
Exactly what we do. If I want fresh air I go outside. I find the coach just gets a lot of unwanted dirt inside so we do not open the windows.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #139

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Livin View Post
Joined the window failing club. Driving down the interstate I noticed the bathroom window was flapping in the 65 mph wind going down the road. Of course I had just passed the exit so I had to drive about 5 miles to the next exit hopeing it did not fly off. I guess I could have pulled off the road right there but the thought of trying to fix anything thing on the driver side with folks flying by at 70 mph was not an option. I don't think I would look good as a hood ornament.
Good news window stayed on until the next exit. taped her up and moved on. The failure was the adhesive on the metal bracket to the window not the window separation most seen to have had.

Called Newmar they are fixing out of warranty item as "known problem". So I'm now having 2 Windows replaced at the mothership in September. First one was defective at delivery. Did not close properly.

I noticed that same window was losing contact with the metal strip during my PDI. Dealer said it was a common problem. Regrettably the dealer fix was not well done. 2.5 hours down the road it fully detached. I just left a rest stop when it started flapping and it was way too freaky to try to work on it along the side of this mid-west road (75 mph + narrow).

I took the next exit a few miles down, but had to travel down a dirt road toward the next exit to get back to the rest stop. I had so much dirt flying inside the rv from the flapping window and of course the nice clean exterior was no more.

I didn't have any tape I felt ok using on the outside, so I ended up using black duck tape on the inside of the window to secure the metal bracket to the glass. Once I got home I used epoxy as a permanent answer. It has held good for the past 18 months. *knocking on wood now*

I think about it every time I use the window, so I don't use it as often as I desire. I hate feeling so insecure.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #140

Hmmm I never really thought that the older style sliding windows look cheap or less "impressive" than the new frameless versions. In fact, it's taken me some time to warm up to the new window style, which appears to me to be a cost cutting measure.

Tags
newmar, wind, window