Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #267

If I was Newmar, I would hang my head in shame! Now that winnebago is in charge, you'd think they would be pro-active in replacing these windows. I have a 20 MADP, already 3 windows replaced. What a JOKE!
brynwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #268

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brynwood View Post
If I was Newmar, I would hang my head in shame! Now that winnebago is in charge, you'd think they would be pro-active in replacing these windows. I have a 20 MADP, already 3 windows replaced. What a JOKE!
I'll give you $400k for it. Jokes over.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #269

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
When we say Newmar has replaced the window who do we mean? Nappanee Newmar or a dealer?

Also Newmar factory has a mobile service tech in FL. Have Mark do the window. Now you have an expert and a Newmar part.

Hope this helps.
GROAN - I just read through the first 6 pages of posts here. I am 9 months into a new 2020 Kountry Star and just added windows to my latest warranty list. I had no idea this was such a big/common problem. My kitchen window is fully separate. The mid bath and dinette windows are getting loose.

I am preparing for my third round of warranty on a variety of mostly minor items - each service taking 4-5 weeks at the dealer. Newmar has agreed to send the local Florida tech to my house in Fort Lauderdale to take care of everything on my list EXCEPT the windows. They said I need to go to a dealer. I am really hating the wasted days of my life taking it over to North Trail (3 hours each way).

I did not have the stomach to read all 20 pages of posts on this topic. Has anyone come up with a DIY solution or improvement? Maybe an epoxy job? I am in the Marine Service industry and know many epoxy products. I would rather spend the time and dime myself doing a reliable repair.

Seems pretty ridiculous to replace the entire window - then play roulette with the problem occurring with the new replacement window. Definition of insanity.......
RVStitchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:00 PM   #270
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless Newmar's window supplier comes up with something revolutionary very soon, I would say it is time to throw the towel in on the frameless windows. It has been proven that the concept doesn't work.

Newmar may want to take a look at what the competition is doing. Tiffin uses framed windows across their entire line with the upper models having the frames painted to match the body.

I will be taking delivery of my 2021 Newmar Bay Star in a few weeks. It is a shame to know that I will need to baby the windows when closing them so as to not put too much tension on the seal between the panes of glass.
D20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:35 PM   #271

Well, you could take a look at posts 264 & 265.
Depending on how much your time and aggravation is worth, pay now and forget it happening again (lifetime warranty) , or just keep going back to the dealer after waiting weeks to get a temporary fix.
Redsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsled View Post
When I was in Tampa this last November, I went to Suncoast Designers to have my windows replaced, I got a lifetime warranty, and a full hookup while I waited for the windows to be replaced. All for a couple of hundred dollars each.
There were several rigs there getting the same thing done. Everyone was "just tired" of the same windows being replaced over and over with no real fix in site and the same ole excuse from the dealers, not to mention the long wait just to get in to have them replaced.
I called on a Wednesday and got in on the following Monday. (Only took two days for all windows to be replaced)
I talked to one of the installers, and he said that they don't have any failures. He laughingly said that he hopes they don't solve the issue, because it was great for business.
After reviewing this post , it sounds like a commercial. It's not, I just liked the service I got there.

Redsled: Your signature shows you have an Itasca, was your unit experiencing the same de-lamination issues as Newmar’s ?
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #273

No, the previous owner dulled them somehow.
Redsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #274

I recently retired from a very large worldwide Fenestration (commercial and residential window) manufacturer. IGUs (insulating glass units) are simply not designed to take the kind if stress that these windows are under. Framed IGUs fail all the time. In a normal house, 20 years is considered a full lifespan. Remove the frames, make the IGU a stressed member of the assembly, and stick it in the side of a RV and it will fail pretty quickly.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:48 AM   #275

I don’t know if it’s possible to have all the coach windows removed and replaced with framed windows but, I would certainly consider it. As I mentioned earlier, I never had any problems with the framed windows on my Holiday Rambler Ambassador in 17 years. I am replacing windows far too often in 2 1/2 years with my Dutch Star. Additionally, I had significantly more airflow in the coach with the windows open and sliding to the side rather than the small opening in the crank out frameless windows.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:31 PM   #276

Had a pretty good run....

Egress window round #2.... with a bathroom window failure in between.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EGRESS .jpg
Views:	47
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	316582  
Sukutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #277

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Would you please report this obvious safety defect to NHTSA? Maybe if NHTSA receives enough reports of Newmar products launching projectiles while traveling 65mph on the highway they will issue a recall!!!
Please, everyone with this problem should report this to NHTSA. This is a serious hazard. This is the link to filing a complaint: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Old 03-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #278

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
Unless Newmar's window supplier comes up with something revolutionary very soon, I would say it is time to throw the towel in on the frameless windows. It has been proven that the concept doesn't work.

Newmar may want to take a look at what the competition is doing. Tiffin uses framed windows across their entire line with the upper models having the frames painted to match the body.

I will be taking delivery of my 2021 Newmar Bay Star in a few weeks. It is a shame to know that I will need to baby the windows when closing them so as to not put too much tension on the seal between the panes of glass.
Babying them has nothing to do with it. We rarely open our windows and the failure is beyond believable.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #279

Newmar Owners Club
Eleven Dutch Star window seal failures, and counting

It seems as if every time we travel we find another window that has failed. This time it is the upper window (not the vent) behind the recliner.

So far we have replaced the half bath window vent 3 times, both window vents behind the kitchen counter, and one of the two window vents behind the sofa.

We are now waiting for the windows to come in for one of the dining vents, the back bathroom window, the half bath vent (again), and the upper driver cockpit window. I just reported the one behind the recliner and don't have authorization to replace it yet.

I have reported every one to the NHTSA, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/, and they keep adding to the file.

Incidentally, they know about the Lippert problem and have gotten recalls for other brands because people complain. Why aren't people complaining to them about these Newmar windows??
Old 03-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #280

I have been dealing with this since I purchased new in August 2018. Multiple windows and luckily found all separated panes before leaving home or the campgrounds. The thought of one of these panels causing an accident is not very comforting.
I followed the link and filed the complaint with NHTSA.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, wind, window