Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #281

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
I have been dealing with this since I purchased new in August 2018. Multiple windows and luckily found all separated panes before leaving home or the campgrounds. The thought of one of these panels causing an accident is not very comforting.
I followed the link and filed the complaint with NHTSA.
Thank you!

We have only found ours when we are traveling and always concerned about one falling off.

After reading through this thread yesterday, I found another one.

Normally we keep the shade down over the emergency window in the bedroom. When I pulled up the shade to check, there is the same fog indicating another failed seal. I think that makes 12 windows now.

The person I've been in touch with at NHTSA said he had not heard of any problems with Newmar windows. He was very surprised when I told him the extent of our issues. After reading all the problems Newmar owners are having, I am surprised that NHTSA does not know how bad it is.

Thank you again. And, please, if you know of anyone else who is having this issue, ask them to report the problem to the NHTSA. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2021, 03:43 PM   #282

Lippert frameless windows are failing

I have a 2020 Baystar model 3014 and have had 2 of the Lippert frameless windows fail to date. I am concerned that all of the windows will fail, seems the factory adhesive that was used is defective.
Lippert did send me a replacement window for the one I discovered back in December but I am just starting a claim for the second window that was found this week. I think this problem will affect many people and the word needs to get out that these windows are a problem. There is a recall that you can read about on the following link.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/reca...es-063020.html

Hope this helps others with the same problem.
JVT1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #283

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVT1129 View Post
I have a 2020 Baystar model 3014 and have had 2 of the Lippert frameless windows fail to date. I am concerned that all of the windows will fail, seems the factory adhesive that was used is defective.
Lippert did send me a replacement window for the one I discovered back in December but I am just starting a claim for the second window that was found this week. I think this problem will affect many people and the word needs to get out that these windows are a problem. There is a recall that you can read about on the following link.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/reca...es-063020.html

Hope this helps others with the same problem.
Checked the link and it is from 2020. It indicates that the recall goes through the manufacturer. I have been contacting the NHTSA about our window seal failures. The NHTSA told me about Lippert window failures but specifically said they have not heard about it regarding Newmar.

We are on our 12th window replacement. Newmar has been getting the replacement authorization for us which seems to expedite the process.

It would be helpful for Newmar owners to file a report with the NHTSA so an official recall can be started. The link is: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Old 03-10-2021, 06:16 PM   #284

For What It’s Worth:
AutoGlassBoss out of Mesa, AZ repaired three foggy windows on our 2018 DS while we were in Quartzite and did a fantastic job with a three year warranty. One of the failed windows was the main bathroom window in the “escape” door and when the tech began removal, he noticed that the glass wasn’t seated correctly when closed. After his repair, he verified proper closure with a rubber hammer and said that the window had been a candidate for flight school but was now mounted securely.
So there must be a way to investigate the window mounting so as to “catch” it before it sails off into the sunset. In our case the glass panel needed to be moved about an eighth of an inch (hence the rubber hammer).
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #285

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We're planning to switch from a travel trailer to a motor home this year. Honestly, this problem alone makes it difficult for us to consider Newmar coaches. I can't tell from this thread how common the problem is. However, the fact that it is a recurring problem for some folks tells me that it is likely a design flaw rather than an unlucky failure. We don't need the grief.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #286

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure... but it has not effected everyone...mostly newer ones from what I can see. My 2017 has not had any window failures.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #287

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotokan View Post
We're planning to switch from a travel trailer to a motor home this year. Honestly, this problem alone makes it difficult for us to consider Newmar coaches. I can't tell from this thread how common the problem is. However, the fact that it is a recurring problem for some folks tells me that it is likely a design flaw rather than an unlucky failure. We don't need the grief.
It is the Lippert frameless windows that are the problem. They have been recalled for other RVs but not for Newmar. Not sure when they started using the frameless windows. So it would depend on whether you are getting a new or used MH.

We had a gas Fleetwood before getting our Dutch Star. After the Fleetwood, we knew we needed to research before buying another. Based on our research, despite now waiting for our 12th window replacement, we wouldn't buy anything but another Newmar.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:22 PM   #288

Just unpacking from the FMCA rally in Georgia with our 2019 New Aire 3343, when during the trip we had the passenger seat side small bottom opening window pop open and start flopping back and forth until I could safely pull over. Found the adhesive black bond connection between the glass and the small aluminum horizontal track gave way. luckily we did not loose the metal track. Found some very strong wide tape to get us back on the road. Called my friend at Newmar service { whom I talk to way to much! } explained the situation and he recommended cleaning up the area and using a good 2 part epoxy. Just to check I called Suncoast Designers Rv window service, near New Port Richey, Fl., spoke to their tech who mentioned they have done many Newmar window repairs, He said to super clean it too and to use 3M Window Weld, let it rest for a day before pressure is put on it again! I have great confidence in Suncoast Designers as years ago they did a terrific job on the bad gas filled windows on my old Country Coach. Today as I looked over the issue I found out that the rotating knob operating arms that slide back and forth into the metal track are not correctly aligned as when the arms are extended to fully open the window there is pressure put on the bottom part of the track to actually pull it away from the glass, which i'm sure after time can weaken the bond if the window is usually fully extended! I am either going to slightly bend the arms or when I do put the adhesive on the track, I will leave the bond a fraction wider at the bottom of the track! Lots of hot wind! but maybe it will help someone with their windows! Thank You Gary Phillips
garyphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:27 PM   #289

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpop45 View Post
For What It’s Worth:

AutoGlassBoss out of Mesa, AZ repaired three foggy windows on our 2018 DS while we were in Quartzite and did a fantastic job with a three year warranty. One of the failed windows was the main bathroom window in the “escape” door and when the tech began removal, he noticed that the glass wasn’t seated correctly when closed. After his repair, he verified proper closure with a rubber hammer and said that the window had been a candidate for flight school but was now mounted securely.

So there must be a way to investigate the window mounting so as to “catch” it before it sails off into the sunset. In our case the glass panel needed to be moved about an eighth of an inch (hence the rubber hammer).

Nice to hear a good word about these folks. My experience using them was much different. [emoji35]
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #290

Newmar Owners Club
Lippert has been putting out defective products for years. Their customer service is horrendous.
IdahoPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:18 PM   #291

I assume none of these failures involve Hehr windows......I have a foggy drivers upper window. But I am in a 2014.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:41 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Please, everyone with this problem should report this to NHTSA. This is a serious hazard. This is the link to filing a complaint: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Filed a compliant back in Feb. 2020 and posted their first response. Advised of the many others here having failures and directed to this thread. Was also told there had been no other complaints filed.
Sukutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:23 AM   #293

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
I assume none of these failures involve Hehr windows......I have a foggy drivers upper window. But I am in a 2014.
It does involve "Hehr", as Lippert bought Hehr. The question is who/when the adhesives were changed. The failures appear to have started before the acquisition date of February 16, 201.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #294

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukutto View Post
Filed a compliant back in Feb. 2020 and posted their first response. Advised of the many others here having failures and directed to this thread. Was also told there had been no other complaints filed.
I filed a complaint last June. What amazes me is that Newmar is not included in the Federal recall complaint. It makes no sense.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, wind, window