Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Windows failing

Our 2020 Essex had the egress window fail and was replaced
We have all 3 large windows on full wall slide leaking and our wall slide roof is leaking
Newmar is shipping new components to Dealer and they will tackle the job
Hopefully find the leak then have it properly Repaired in Nappanee
Countless other issues a completely different coach than our London Aire was
They know they have issues and clearly whoever signed off on our custom order was sleeping on the job
Not bashing Newmar but they need to step up on the production side
kadd9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I agree with kadd9400 as our Essex, after delivery, spent 8 days with Jay at paint repair along with 3 windows being replaced in service. While in paint a production supervisor was brought over and was involved to some degree in the repaint. Had other normal issues such as sliding doors coming of track while traveling. Will go back the end of August for more issues. I have been with Newmar coaches for 13 years and I miss being with the coach in service
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #59

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hehr vs Lippert

Here are some thoughts on the two companies. 30+ years ago Hehr was the king and built a bullet proof product. Don't know about Lippert but back in the van conversion business all of the upper brands used Hehr.

Think of it this way. If Mercedes Benz bought and built Yugo's would the Yugo have been the failure it was? Of course not. MB would have seen to that. Now true the Yugo would't have been a $4995 car anymore but it would have run like a car. Now go the other way around. Yugo buy's MB. Would you expect Yugo's to become better or would MB become like a Yugo. It all comes from the top. If it is run like a Rube Goldberg company from upper management down you get trash. But Rube and his boys make a lot of money.

BTW the glue problem has existed before. Back in the 70's Bobby Bosch built a couple thousand cooling fan motors that were used on Audi's. They were failing left and right. Turns out that the Epoxy mix that held the field magnets was a bad batch. But like most German car companies and the fact that Robert Bosch never ever built anything incorrectly, ever. Just ask them. They were replaced free of charge for several years. Never did admit to what the failure was.

But that was then and this is now. "Fat chance" comes to mind now.

To the gentleman hipkts2010 with the Tiffin. Keep in mind the window company didn't just ship that crap to Newmar only. My bet is Red Bay as well as every other company that uses this brand has a few issues also.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgosselin195 View Post
I’ve got a 2018 CanyonStar 2710, purchased 4/27/2018. Fall of 2018 we’d been camping for. A few months and went to open one of the bedroom windows, above the bed. Opened not problem. In the morning, getting ready to leave, close all windows and a walk around. Noticed one of the bedroom windows didn’t seem closed. Double checked inside but it was tight. Stood on the picnic table and tried pushing it closed. It flapped, was loose. Double pane window and outside pane was delaminated. Fortunately I already had an appointment scheduled for April of 2019 so I called Newmar and added it to the list of items to fix. By the time got to our final destination theat pane had fallen off somewhere on the road.

At Nappennee they couldn’t replace the window because they ordered the incorrect window unit. New one was oming from Canada but wouldn’t be there 7ntil after I had to be gone. They’d send it along to my local dealer. I contacted them when I got back and they called Newmar, got the info and ordered the correct part. A few weeks later I got it replaced, finally. A week later I’m camping and is the same problem! Back to dealer and showed them. They reordered and finally the window is in and correct.

I have no idea what brand he windows we’re. I’m jus happy it’s finally correct.

Sorry for the long post.
Marc
Sorry but I forgot to mention, all window replacements were done under my warrentee, no cost to me.

Marc
Old 06-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Glad my king aire does not seem to have these window issues but has spent 8 months in the NIRVC shop and seems to have more issues everyday. Nothing seems to be immune to poor manufacturing issues.
Daddobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #62

My heart goes out to the OP, I can't image dealing with such issues after spending so much money.

This thread is a sad testament to corporate buyouts, not necessarily to capitalism (remember, the YUGO example mentioned previously was built in a communist country). Someone mentioned the top down management issue, and that is for certain where shoddy workmanship and bad components evolve from.

The good news is open market capitalism, another, quality manufacturer will fill the gap when people run from Newmar looking for a quality coach with reasonable factory support. That's the beauty, we have choices, we are able to vote with our feet and spend our dollars elsewhere.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #63

I will be at Newmar in August so they can fix the window in the bathroom escape door in my 2019 NADP. I was driving down the highway and noticed the window flapping in the wind. Luckily it is hinged at the top. The glue holding the 2 panes together has failed. I now have it held together with clear shipping tape. Works better than the original glue but looks ugly.

So far that's my only window issue. After reading this I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Bill
BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
It appears to me this issue pre-dates the WGO acquisition. Newmar problem.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:27 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
3 for me

My 2018 Dutch Star had a bad Emergence Edit Door window and the Half Bath window last March Bpth fixed in March. Now the Half Bath has failed again. Mesa RV dealer ordered a new one, got the wrong one so they GLUED IT UP and said they will order a new one but so far, 4 weeks ago, we have not heard from them. Ugh.
ReddingKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:23 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
It appears to me this issue pre-dates the WGO acquisition. Newmar problem.
Yeah by at least 8 years according to some posts. I think the corporate buyout posts are referring to Lippert buying Hehr.
Lippert is a problematic company in my opinion. I'm not alone I'm sure, in saying it was a mistake for WGO to switch to Lippert components, when they should have stayed with HWH, which they used for eons.....heck it's an Iowa company too! Hope they learned something.
This problem with the windows just sucks. Sorry for all you Newmar owners heartaches with this.
I sure hope this ticks somebody off at Newmar HQ, hello Matt.....and they go elsewhere for their window supply. Surely there's another make out there.
They'd be money ahead to drop Lippert/Hehr immediately and go elsewhere even if it costs more.
I say this not knowing when the Lippert acquisition took place. But it seems the problem isn't new......and I'd say Lippert will not make it any better if they inherited the problem.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:16 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lippert Components acquires window and glass business of Hehr International Inc.

Feb 16, 2018

https://www.lci1.com/archive/2018/02...international/

So maybe my windows will be ok, but another 2016 I was looking at had a fogged one and my 2010 Bay Star has several fogged windows. Different issue, but still disappointing.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:32 AM   #68

Hear Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninar View Post
Lippert bought out Hehr in early 2018. Not sure how Hehr windows compare to Lippert, or if there was a change made in adhesives? Anyone know? Did this pervasive problem just show up in later models?
The entire driver window assembly on our 2012 Holiday Rambler Ambassador began leaking and fogging up last year. I contacted the number for Hehr, (Apparently Lippert must have still been using that number, although the agent did not mention the owner change) and I was told that they did not make a seal replacement kit and the only solution was to replace the window unit in it’s entirety. Ended up costing me close to $2000.00. Recently noticed the glass in the entrance door is fogging up on occasion. Who can’t make and install a dependable double pane window in this age?
I sometimes wonder if it’s intentional.
LD Humphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:39 AM   #69

Hehr Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninar View Post
Lippert bought out Hehr in early 2018. Not sure how Hehr windows compare to Lippert, or if there was a change made in adhesives? Anyone know? Did this pervasive problem just show up in later models?
The entire driver window assembly on our 2012 Holiday Rambler Ambassador began leaking and fogging up last year. I contacted the number for Hehr, (Apparently Lippert must have still been using that number, although the agent did not mention the owner change) and I was told that they did not make a seal replacement kit and the only solution was to replace the window unit in it’s entirety. Ended up costing me close to $2000.00. Recently noticed the glass in the entrance door is fogging up on occasion. Who can’t make and install a dependable double pane window in this age?
I sometimes wonder if it’s intentional.
LD Humphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Windows failing

Johninar — my heart aches for you! Had our Newmar Canyon Star since ‘09. Been such a great coach! It’s for sale now, due to our age😓 - it’s still wonderful! In last 5/6 years, we’ve had windows fog. Easy fix in Hudson FL! I can’t imagine your issue—and obviously many other folk’s problem too! Geepers!! Soooo much going into the coaches these days is made in China. It’s QUITE Sad!! I’m very nervous regarding the Winnebago purchase of Newmar—The potential impact it’s had on the employees!!!! The old Newmar would be jumping right up to get this issue resolved for everyone!! Your adhesive issue was recognised during the warranty. Every window’s adhesive should be replaced regardless of your warranty status!!! Insist!!!
WHY oh WHY did they have your coach for so long??? Your choice?
Please Newmar - be “the old Newmar”!!
Polish up your well established reputation!!!!!
Andrena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, wind, window