Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2021, 07:09 AM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
Just a small object hitting the edge of that safety glass can cause it to shatter just like your picture.

Ya. That was my initial thought but they said it “fell out” so I was a bit perplexed.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #310

Newmar Owners Club
Have a 2018 New Aire, the co-pilot vent window got sucked out on a mountain road going to Glacier National Park 1 month ago... finished trip, called NewMar they opened and incident, said they never heard of such a thing.
They gave me a 50% reduction on the cost of the window with instructions on how to replace myself... hoping it doesn't happen to anymore as the coach has plenty of that type vent opening windows.
NewMar Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:49 AM   #311

Newmar (technically Lippert) has issued a recall to inspect and/or replace vent windows.

NHTSA Recall ID: 21V571
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #312

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Newmar (technically Lippert) has issued a recall to inspect and/or replace vent windows.

NHTSA Recall ID: 21V571
Thank you for that information! We've had 10 replaced now and 2 more are ordered. But I won't mind having the rest of them checked.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #313

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
I got the replacement window installed. It looks great and, no more worry about the vent pane separating. The inside frame they sent with the window was not deep enough and I didn’t call Newmar to find out why. If you do the replacement keep the inside frame to reuse as that frame is deeper for some reason that I didn’t care to take the time to find out why.
I don’t think we will miss opening the window and, there is better visibility because no screen or framing for the vent window.
Thank you for the update. It does look good and must give peace of mind to know it won't fall out!
Old 08-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Thank you for that information! We've had 10 replaced now and 2 more are ordered. But I won't mind having the rest of them checked.
Is it just the vent that is failing, or did your entire window fail?

Reading this thread kind of makes me think the framed windows weren't that bad.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #315
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninar View Post
First let me say I still love my 2019 Dutch Star. It's just frustrating. And really a few windows is not a big deal compared to problems others have.
I went to pick up my coach from Independence RV after getting my Fantastic fan motors replaced (been fighting them since last June).

It took a real long time for them to bring my coach up.Tech showed up and said when he pulled it out and stopped in the back lot he got a bath. It was from the window above the drivers power window. You can clearly tell it's fogged over. The adhesive has failed.

So they covered it and taped it up. My coach has had one window or another taped up since last June after we left Nappanee. I was excited to have the coach all ready to head out without anything broken. Nope.

First window was the emergency egress door window. It fell out at 65mph. luckily it did not hit anyone.
Had it replaced out west and it failed again.
Kitchen window separated and had to tape it up and wait for a replacement.

The problem is Lippert, the adhesive DOES NOT WORK. Tech told me they have a huge problem with windows. Newmar needs to hold their feet to the fire and fix this. I am worried about how many more windows are going to fail on me? My warranty runs out this week so I'm screwed.

Interesting note, Newmar had that window in stock, several of them. Hmm?

Okay, rant over.
Well.....good job....they heard you and are now issuing a recall. I don't see the point in having the windows checked as they can fail the next day, but hopefully if one fails down the road, it won't be a battle to get a new one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #316

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Is it just the vent that is failing, or did your entire window fail?

Reading this thread kind of makes me think the framed windows weren't that bad.
Most of them were vents. But we also had a slider go bad, the emergency window in the bedroom, and the narrow cockpit window over the driver.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #317

Newmar Owners Club
I just got a NHTSA recall notice this morning about this. They say Newmar will issue a recall after mid Sept. I have not had a problem yet. Just getting ready to go on a 7K mile trip.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
I just got a NHTSA recall notice this morning about this. They say Newmar will issue a recall after mid Sept. I have not had a problem yet. Just getting ready to go on a 7K mile trip.
I just received a NHTSA safety recall as well from Entegra covering 2019-2021 Anthem, Aspire, Cornerstone, Insignia, Reatta, and Embark vehicles with HEHR 6400 series windows. They are sending out a measurement tool to bring to the dealer to check the windows.

Also, if you already had the repair done pre-recall, you may be eligible for expense reimbursement.
eroyceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #319

We have had our 2020 Essex in the shop three times for what I feel are matters that QC should have found and resolved prior to delivery. This is our 3rd coach, and second Newmar, so it's not our first rodeo and we know what to expect. I understand issues will arise during the shake down period, and to be fair, most issues are subcontractor/supplier problems, but the coach still bears the name "Newmar." Everything was addressed under warranty, but the time it takes to get it resolved is very long. Now we are preparing for an 8 week trip and I received the window adhesive recall on Friday and can't figure out if we have the problem and if so, can they be replaced or the issue corrected. I'm ready to say send me the windows and I'll replace them myself!

On the positive side, our prior Newmar was a 2012 Mountain Aire. There were some "dumb" things (DEF at the passenger side rear of the coach, nowhere near the refill at the stops), etc. that were reconsidered and corrected. What I can't figure out is why not charge $100 more for the unit, and install marine-grade, stainless-steel latches, catches and hardware in the coach. The plastic latches are worthless and I have had to add multiple magnet catches to keep the doors closed when on the road.
bidaskraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:28 PM   #320

Newmar Owners Club
It appears that the majority of these failures are on Spartan chassis’……is that correct?
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:08 AM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
It appears that the majority of these failures are on Spartan chassis’……is that correct?
No, that’s not correct.

It’s the Lippert (formerly, Hehr) windows on many types and brands of Recreational Vehicles.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #322
NXR

While I do not have a Newmar I do have the Lippert/HEHR dual pane windows. My VIN is covered by the recall and per some info from Forest River this defect only affects the dual pane windows. Which I special-ordered as an option, of course.

While washing the motorhome a few days ago I saw one of the vent windows move as the brush went across. I went inside and assured it was fully closed. I then opened the window and to my horror I could see the ground between the two panes of glass.

I put a ladder up to the window. That vent window is 25.25" wide and 10.5" tall.

The entire bottom is debonded and just over 7" on each side, starting from the bottom, is also debonded.

So the only part still hanging on is the top adhesive and barely 3" on each side at the top. I could move the bottom of the window out about 1/4"

I went around to each vent window and pulled gently outwards on the sides and bottom while running my finger along the inside edge of the frameless window. I found one more window where the lower rear corner definitely moved.

I then opened each window and carefully examined the sides and bottom on each one. On one window I found two small holes next to each other, about 1/64" in size, as if there was not enough adhesive and it shrunk. There was no moisture in that window (yet) so I filled the holes with silicone.

On the window where the corner moved, I could see a definite separation between the outer pane and the adhesive when pulled gently outward, maybe 1/3rd of the bottom edge. It, too is 25.25" wide and the same height as the other one. When there is no outward pressure on the glass I still could see a definite distortion in the adhesive between where it was still bonded and not bonded.

On that window I pulled it gently outward, slipped an alcohol prep in the gap and tried to clean it. Later I applied silicone adhesive/sealant to try and keep it from getting worse.

The first window was not safe to drive that way. I cleaned the gap with alcohol, applied (a lot) of silicone adhesive/sealant into the gap and along the edge. I then used packing tape at several places along the window perimeter to keep pressure on the two panes of glass while the silicone cured for 24 hours.

The next day both windows felt solid.

When I contacted the dealer as soon as I found the first one they said they are currently scheduling service appointments in January. They had just received the Lippert feeler gauge five days ago. They are primarily a Jayco dealer and were unaware of the recall. I told the dealer by email what I was doing for a temporary repair and sent them pictures and a video of the two defective ones I found.

I'm trying to get into them so they can officially run the feeler gauge around and order some windows for me. I have almost no doubt that the parts will come in after we've left for Florida for the winter, though, if even then.

I see Newmar is recalling over 4,000 motorhomes. I know the Forest River recall goes back to ones manufactured in 2014. I even saw that Newell is recalling vehicles for this problem, the P50 model, and all the way back to 2008.

So if I were you folks, I'd be getting a ladder and tugging gently outward on each vent window to see if there is any movement at all and also opening each window and looking closely at the adhesive on the sides and bottom. (I cannot see the top of mine due to the mid-hinge design).

I have no doubt that the one window would have fallen completely off on our next trip and I found it by accident. Our motorhome was manufactured in May 2019.

Per the attached Lippert PDF, windows manufactured prior to August 13, 2020 but on or after October 1, 2018 can exhibit the defect.

Lippert bought HEHR in February 2018.

But...those dates for the defective units do not explain why some manufacturers are recalling units built well before Oct. 1, 2018. Lippert also is recalling some 3000 series windows so maybe it's those.

EDIT: I just attached the Newmar defect notice to the NHTSA for your reference.

FWIW,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Pane Windows.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	344637  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lippert Inspection and Remediation Instructions.pdf (1.05 MB, 108 views)
File Type: pdf Newmar Defect Notice to the NHTSA.PDF (214.0 KB, 55 views)

Tags
newmar, wind, window