Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #1

Been doin lots of research and like Newmar and KZ in the mid-priced toyhauler segment. Also seriously thinking of Peterson and New Horizons but not sure I can justify that kind of money when there are such good deals laying around.

I looked at both of the Xaire models. 38 and 40 ft. The construction quality of these units is impressive. Solid details all the way round but for the cabinetry. Doors were acceptable but the fake wood stiles, rails, cornices, slide mouldings etc, were a bit of a disappointment. Likewise the passage doors.

I really liked the units over all. Quite spacious and well configured. The employment of upgraded hitch, axels, mechanicals, and such inspired confidence. Dual pane windows, corian or corian-like counter tops were pleasing and seemingly very functional. Shower head had a easy-on-off valve. Smart. Decor, in one of the units, was muted which is to my taste. I hate the 'clown pants' patterns a lot of manufacturers employ.

To me it would make sense for Newmar to upgrade the cabs and leave off the genny. Lots of people don't need a genny. Lke me. You can always put one in but you can't rip out all the cabs just to get rid of fake photo-veneer. That's really my only negative.

I can't decide which unit to go with. I'd prefer the 38 but it has the counter top sticking out into the living room. For my purposes this is less than optimum. It also has the itty bitty refer. BUT it has the corian whereas the 40 footer has formica and a 'clown pants' sofa. I could use the extra two feet though. The 40 has the much bigger refer with ice maker.

One thing I noticed ... well two ... that I need answers on is the use of OSB board not plywood and the way the roof is put together. If long time Newmar owners could help me out here I'd appreciate it. I have nothing against Oriented Strand Board IF its water resistant. That is, put together with water-proof glue. Exterior grade if you will. The floor looked and felt srong but if water gets to it like around the shower there could be trouble. Likewise the roof looked good. Its white rubber. But I didn't care for all those screws running down the entire length of the coach. Is this just the way it has to be done? I was hoping for a cap instead of a seam. I'm sure Newmar owners know what I'm talking about. That seam runs the entire length, both sides and looked like a weak point. ????

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #2

Been doin lots of research and like Newmar and KZ in the mid-priced toyhauler segment. Also seriously thinking of Peterson and New Horizons but not sure I can justify that kind of money when there are such good deals laying around.

I looked at both of the Xaire models. 38 and 40 ft. The construction quality of these units is impressive. Solid details all the way round but for the cabinetry. Doors were acceptable but the fake wood stiles, rails, cornices, slide mouldings etc, were a bit of a disappointment. Likewise the passage doors.

I really liked the units over all. Quite spacious and well configured. The employment of upgraded hitch, axels, mechanicals, and such inspired confidence. Dual pane windows, corian or corian-like counter tops were pleasing and seemingly very functional. Shower head had a easy-on-off valve. Smart. Decor, in one of the units, was muted which is to my taste. I hate the 'clown pants' patterns a lot of manufacturers employ.

To me it would make sense for Newmar to upgrade the cabs and leave off the genny. Lots of people don't need a genny. Lke me. You can always put one in but you can't rip out all the cabs just to get rid of fake photo-veneer. That's really my only negative.

I can't decide which unit to go with. I'd prefer the 38 but it has the counter top sticking out into the living room. For my purposes this is less than optimum. It also has the itty bitty refer. BUT it has the corian whereas the 40 footer has formica and a 'clown pants' sofa. I could use the extra two feet though. The 40 has the much bigger refer with ice maker.

One thing I noticed ... well two ... that I need answers on is the use of OSB board not plywood and the way the roof is put together. If long time Newmar owners could help me out here I'd appreciate it. I have nothing against Oriented Strand Board IF its water resistant. That is, put together with water-proof glue. Exterior grade if you will. The floor looked and felt srong but if water gets to it like around the shower there could be trouble. Likewise the roof looked good. Its white rubber. But I didn't care for all those screws running down the entire length of the coach. Is this just the way it has to be done? I was hoping for a cap instead of a seam. I'm sure Newmar owners know what I'm talking about. That seam runs the entire length, both sides and looked like a weak point. ????

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:16 AM   #3

Scott -

Welcome! Actually, I'm rather new here myself and like you am still trying to learn as much about Newmar as I can. My wife and I are planning to pick up our new Kountry Aire 5th wheel at Wilkins RV in Bath, NY on Tuesday.

I believe the OSB flooring is Weyerhouser's Structurwood. You can look up it's properties on the internet, but it is denser and more solid than plywood, doesn't tend to buckle or cup like plywood can, and has a limited 25 year warranty which includes the guarantee not to delaminate. I believe it is more water resistant than plywood, but you'd best check this with an expert to make sure. Newmar also uses a single sheet of Structurwood to cover the entire length, which has obvious advantages over 4' x 8' plywood sheets.

I believe the roofing material you saw is BriteTEK, which is actually better than rubber roofing material found in many RVs. It has superior puncture and tear resistance (not sure whether it comes with a 10 or a 20 year warranty) and will not create as much of those black water streaks as rubber roofs do.

I'm assuming that all those screws running down the entire length you refer to are along the perimeter edges, and not down the middle or elsewhere? I think that the BriteTEK comes in something like 9' 6" wide sheets, laid the entire length of the unit, with some overlap at the edges, which are then secured (screwed?) to the sidewalls and caulked to prevent water penetration. You'd best ask someone more familiar than me about the exact construction technique (although I have seen them being built at the factory a couple times) but I wouldn't be particularly concerned about this, provided that you routinely inspect the caulking and maintain it as needed.

Also, if you are planning to order a unit, versus taking one off a dealer's lot, you may wish to ask about special order changes to get a trailer that best suits your preferences. Newmar will do some of this, within limits. I don't know why you could not get one with out the generator, and since Newmar makes their own cabinets, they may be willing to install different ones for you.

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #4

MT flyfisher

Thank you for such a great reply. Didn't expect to get such a detailed and exact answer to my questions. Now I'm even more exited about Newmar.

As to special ordering ... I would truly like to do that but I just can't pass up the savings out there from units sitting on lots an entire year.

It actually bothers me a bit. I feel for these guys. But then I know the dealers do it to each other as well.

Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Scott to the Newmar forum and irv2.
This LINK will give you some idea about construction of a Newmar.
You can take a tour of different 5th's on this LINK.
As to the roof the Motor Homes have the stainless steel strip with screws all around their roofs. I have never had a problem with it just check every season to make sure the sealent is in place and refresh if need be.
As the 5th or coach ages all the top seals where caps meet the roof and roof wrap to side walls the sealent should be checked. There is sealent along the floor level trim on top that needs checking also or water may enter thru the top of your compartments.
Enjoy the forum and good luck in your quest for a 5th wheel.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Welcome Scott to the Newmar forum and irv2.
This LINK will give you some idea about construction of a Newmar.
You can take a tour of different 5th's on this LINK.
As to the roof the Motor Homes have the stainless steel strip with screws all around their roofs. I have never had a problem with it just check every season to make sure the sealent is in place and refresh if need be.
As the 5th or coach ages all the top seals where caps meet the roof and roof wrap to side walls the sealent should be checked. There is sealent along the floor level trim on top that needs checking also or water may enter thru the top of your compartments.
Enjoy the forum and good luck in your quest for a 5th wheel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks 007 for a great reply. I appreciate it.

Tags
kz-rv