Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

High Flow Water Regulator

This question is a lot like the question to The Sun many years ago asking if there was a Santa Clause.

My DH keeps a High Flow Water Regulator connected to the hose coming into the coach. This results in the majority of the time water trickling out of shower. Is this regulator always needed and if not how do you know when to use it.

Like Virginia, if it is written in this forum, it has to be true.

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have never used a regulator in any of my Newmar's traveled across Canada and from P.E.I. to FLORIDA and across the U.S.A., never needed one and that's the truth.
If you do not now use one check your whole house filter maybe time for a new one or your water heater may need to be flushed out because the anode rod has jelled and jell has now plugged your faucet screens and need to be cleaned, and that's the truth and do not ask me how I know.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
If you notice much lower flow in shower with and without a "hi flow" regulator then either its not hi flow or the adjustable psi setting is too low.
Not changing the whole house filter is another cause of lower flow when it clogs up.

You need a regulator before the pipes start leaking where you can't see them when the input pressure goes too hi for you rig. Most will never have a problem but the ones that do wish they had spent the $100 for a quality regulator. Regulators can fail in the open state and therefore a up and downstream gage is an easy way to tell if its doi9g what it should.

This place is a good start and no I don't work for them but are a happy customer.
RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
Old 02-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. We have a 2013 Ventana 4369 and were told we did not have an inline water filter only water filter we had was in the refrigerator.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

To answer your question about regulator. I have been camping since 1989 and have always used a regulator on my water input and connected it to the bib. The one I now use I made from parts purchased at Lowes and have it set for 55 lbs pressure. You can purchase the same type at Camping Worls and I wouldn't leave home without it. I have seen campgrounds that have 100lbs pressure and if you connect to that without a regualtor you will blow every water line in RV.

As far as whole house filter, I highly recommend that too as I have seen some campgrounds that have muddy water. The filter I use is a charcoal type and works real well. If you don't want a whole house filter than they sell in line water filters which will help but not be as effective.

The way I do all this is I have a short house from the bib to the input side of the regulator and then a longer hose to my whole house filter and then a short hose to the water inlet on the RV. The water filter is mounted in a box to protect it from UV rays.

Good luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
My DH keeps a High Flow Water Regulator connected to the hose coming into the coach. This results in the majority of the time water trickling out of shower. Is this regulator always needed and if not how do you know when to use it.
msy4us
If your coach has a built in pressure regulator, (many do, mine looks like this: SHURflo Pressure Regulated Water Fill White - $28.10), adding another, (even a "High Flow Regulator"), can cause low volume and/or low pressure water problems in the coach.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #7

I think our problem may be that the regulator is not adjustable. It is the $8.95 type.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Very rarely will you go to a CG and find that the water pressure is the same as the last place. I put a pressure gauge on the supply. If it is less than 60 psi I don't use a regulator. Over that (which is rare) I will use one.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi msy4us,
The regulator I use is at
Adjustable Water Regulator - Lead Free - Valterra A01-1117VP - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World

I've been using an adjustable regulator for many years. It is like any other protective device coach owners use. It is not needed until it is needed. My regulator is on the shore connection 100% of the time. It is adjusted for 80 PSI. Newmar coaches are built and tested to 120 PSI. I have found 80 PSI supplies more than one faucet quite nicely.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #10

Msy4us - the regulator you have drastically limits the water flow as well as limits pressure. You need to get one of the adjustable ones; they don't limit the flow. As to whether you need it, I can remember a few places (for example, one of the campgrounds inside Yellowstone) that had great big warning signs that their water pressure was well over 100 PSI and they recommended a pressure regulator. Do you need a regulator? Well, it's really cheap insurance.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will review several water pressure regulators.. Short form

Standard 3/4 inch plastic or brass cylinder types.. Restrict flow rather a lot, not recommended I give them a 2

HIGH FLOW, like above but bright plastic grip on female end (or wings on a Camco) same recommendation, not quite as bad but still bad Perhaps a 4 if they are lucky.

Sur-Flo.. (This is a watts subsidary) I give it a 8 or 9

Watts 1/2 inch or larger or Valterra adjustable

Now we are talking 10 and then some.

The Valterra unit has a knob and a gauge, the watts ones will have a bolt with either a hex head and a jam nut or a "T" bar.. the T-bar one is a tad small for my liking,, Make sure you get the proper hose adapters so you can install it.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will review several water pressure regulators.. Short form

Standard 3/4 inch plastic or brass cylinder types.. Restrict flow rather a lot, not recommended I give them a 2

HIGH FLOW, like above but bright plastic grip on female end (or wings on a Camco) same recommendation, not quite as bad but still bad Perhaps a 4 if they are lucky.

Sur-Flo.. (This is a watts subsidary) I give it a 8 or 9

Watts 1/2 inch or larger or Valterra adjustable

Now we are talking 10 and then some.

The Valterra unit has a knob and a gauge, the watts ones will have a bolt with either a hex head and a jam nut or a "T" bar.. the T-bar one is a tad small for my liking,, Make sure you get the proper hose adapters so you can install it.
X2 ...

the even shorter form ... if it costs less then about $50 it's a restrictor. If it costs more than $50 it's a regulator ... spend the $50+. Your pipes will be happy ... you will shower happily.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
I think our problem may be that the regulator is not adjustable. It is the $8.95 type.
There's the problem! Those "affordable" in-line small cylindrical units are essentially useless. They claim to be factory set to 40psi, but in my experience they vary wildly. They are predominantly flow restrictors, whether they call themselves "High Flow" or not- as you have learned.

Your answer, as stated above, is an adjustable pressure regulator, either from Watts or Valterra.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #14

Many times water flow problems are the result of the water filter. There are many different filters out there and some are so fine (1 to 5 mic.) that fill up quickly and you have water pressure problems. Could take filter out to test if that's your problem. Yes the regulator is a big part of the problem. A oxygenated shower head sure makes the shower flow better. They can be picked up at CW.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote