Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #1

Holding Tank Sensor Issue (New Aire)

My NA's black tank sensor has started to malfunction and is reporting erroneous readings. Anyone have any ideas on what steps should be taken to diagnose the problem? I'm not even sure how to access the tanks. My guess is that you can get to them through the passenger storage bay by removing the aft wall that is along the centerline of the coach.
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #2

Before you mess around with outside I'd try and make sure the inside is as clean as can be. Old school ice cubes and bumpy road won't work for macerator toilets but there must be a way?

Fill and drain a couple times with water?
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
EXTREME CLEANER by Happy Campers - Extreme Tank & Sensor Cleaner
Usually buy it on Amazon for about $25.
You can also go the Happy Campers web sight & buy direct. They also have great phone support.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post
Before you mess around with outside I'd try and make sure the inside is as clean as can be.

Driveby - yeah, we've given that a shot and rinsed, treated, driven, dumped, rinsed again... Maybe we should try it again, it just acts so goofy, it seems that there is something electrically wrong somewhere.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #5

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Does the New Air use KIB tank sensors? There is an issue on the 2018 and maybe later DSDP KIB system.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 2020 New Aire 3543 the tanks are monitored by a Silverleaf module SPX-300 and not the KIB system.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
On my 2020 New Aire 3543 the tanks are monitored by a Silverleaf module SPX-300 and not the KIB system.

Yes. I confirmed this by calling SilverLeaf. It’s either the sensor or the little circuit board that has gone bad. Ordered the parts and I’ll replace the circuit board first then the sensor if necessary.

Learning all the time...

Steve
Old 07-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #8

We had a sensor problem for about a month in our last RV. Just before I was headed to the dealer someone told me about Unique Digest-it holding tank treatment. I put in about a quarter of a bottle and drove about 70 miles to our next stop. Dumped the tank and it worked perfect every since. That is all we use now. And it is septic safe for those of you that have a septic system at home.

Unique Digests-it
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUpp View Post
My NA's black tank sensor has started to malfunction and is reporting erroneous readings. Anyone have any ideas on what steps should be taken to diagnose the problem? I'm not even sure how to access the tanks. My guess is that you can get to them through the passenger storage bay by removing the aft wall that is along the centerline of the coach.
Hi Steve, When you say the sensor is acting up what is going on? We have a 2017 MA and both the black and grey don't read anything for a while. They then fill what seems somewhat normal till they hit 80% and immediately go to 100%. At the shop right now and they said they can start throwing parts at it of which I don't want to buy parts not needed. Good luck with yours.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #10

Holding Tank Sensor Issue (New Aire)

My symptom is that the black tank sensor after emptying and recalibration on its own begins increasing the tank level so that after about 20 minutes the SilverLeaf console shows that the tank is full. I called SilverLeaf and they said that this is a symptom of a bad tank sensor or a bad sensor circuit board. I ordered both and will first replace the circuit board. They sometimes corrode. If that doesn’t fix it I will replace the sensor. More to come. Right now I unplugged the black tank sensor from the TM 102 and disabled the alarm.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Silver Leaf showing GRAY TANK FAULT

While my New Aire was being serviced, asked the Service Writer about the gray tank fault. He had his technician look at the problem and the technician "reset" the control panel which cleared the fault and now the tank is showing an appropriate level.

Not sure about your situation, but, you may want to check the control board for a reset capability to see if that works. If it does, it would be a lot easier than replacing the board.

Mike
mjh0827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #12

I had the same issue and it ended up being a corroded circuit board (the little board that connects the sensor and the telephone cable that goes to the 102). It was corroded due to sitting in leaking gray water on top of the tank which is where the circuit board rested. I hope you can get at it from the passenger side. I got to it by tearing down my wet bay which was a chore.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
I had the same issue and it ended up being a corroded circuit board (the little board that connects the sensor and the telephone cable that goes to the 102). It was corroded due to sitting in leaking gray water on top of the tank which is where the circuit board rested. I hope you can get at it from the passenger side. I got to it by tearing down my wet bay which was a chore.
You can get to it from the passenger side? That's interesting... I'm assuming that by opening the aft wall in the storage compartment, I will be able to see the circuit board? What was the source of the grey water leak and what did you have to do to stop it? I saw you posted a video on this. I haven't yet watched it, but I was planning on it before tearing apart the wet bay to get to it. Did you do anything special to try and protect the circuit board after you replaced it?

By the way cinergi I also watched your video on adding the diode to the battery bridge and that has worked perfectly too. Your videos are very helpful. Thanks
Old 07-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUpp View Post
You can get to it from the passenger side? That's interesting... I'm assuming that by opening the aft wall in the storage compartment, I will be able to see the circuit board? What was the source of the grey water leak and what did you have to do to stop it? I saw you posted a video on this. I haven't yet watched it, but I was planning on it before tearing apart the wet bay to get to it. Did you do anything special to try and protect the circuit board after you replaced it?

By the way cinergi I also watched your video on adding the diode to the battery bridge and that has worked perfectly too. Your videos are very helpful. Thanks
Thanks!

Yeah you can get to the tanks from the other side .. I just don't know if you'll be able to get at/reach the cables and if there's enough slack to pull them toward you so you can do the replacement.

My leak was due to an improper factory seal on the fitting for the rinse line. If the water level in the tank went above that fitting (about 50%), it would leak. Amazing how bad gray water smells -- I swore it was black water.

I didn't do anything special to protect the new board since I realized what had happened.

Tags
air, tank