Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #15

Just for a test open the drain on your black tank then have someone flush the toilet. Watch your hose and see if it is draining faster if it is you have a vent problem if not drain and rinse the tank good before tearing into the drain valves.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
If it was a vent issue, opening toilet while draining should provide more air into tank and flow would dramatically increase. There have been a number of people tracing slow draining to the fact that when openings are made in the black tank for installation, the large disks of plastic that drop into the tank are left and can block the drain. Back flushing with the cap with a hose fitting or section of clear drain line with hose fitting can help blow it out of the drain path.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I was told by a campground manager to allow the black tank to be at least 3/4 full before dumping...
I was a newbie as I was leaving the black tank value open on extended camping in the park...
He said the terds will settle to the bottom of the black tank & cause all sorts of problems...
So now 3/4 full, pull the black value, fill commode Full & flush, then pull the gray value for & leave black value open for a small flush into the values.
Then I close both values...
He also said a good idea to fill black tank 1/2 full before you hit the highway as it slouches around & washes the black tank... (gets the crap off of the sensors)...

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If it was a vent issue, opening toilet while draining should provide more air into tank and flow would dramatically increase. There have been a number of people tracing slow draining to the fact that when openings are made in the black tank for installation, the large disks of plastic that drop into the tank are left and can block the drain. Back flushing with the cap with a hose fitting or section of clear drain line with hose fitting can help blow it out of the drain path.
Where do I put the hose to blow out a potential piece of plastic? Would it block grey and black?
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd use one of these:
Camco Sewer Hose Rinse Cap: ATV, Motorcycle, & RV Accessories : Walmart.com

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...-90-degree.htm
(hold slinky up in the air to ensure water goes into the tank with this one)

Hook up hose (not drinking water hose) then open the slide valve and turn on hose. I'd do each tank, opening each valve, one at a time.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #20

Quote:
I'd use one of these:
Camco Sewer Hose Rinse Cap: ATV, Motorcycle, & RV Accessories : Walmart.com

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...-90-degree.htm
(hold slinky up in the air to ensure water goes into the tank with this one)

Hook up hose (not drinking water hose) then open the slide valve and turn on hose. I'd do each tank, opening each valve, one at a time.
Did not know there was a cap like this. I will get one and try it. Thanks allot for the pictures and your advice.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
I personally like the section of pipe better. With the cap, it's very messy when it's time to unscrew it. Even with slide valve closed, you might get more than a bucket full according to how much volume between valve and cap.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtraveler View Post
I took the vent off the roof to the grey water tank, put a garden hose in the shower and let it run for 6 to 8 minutes, drained it and it worked much better. I put the vent cap back on added water and it did not drain well at all. I then took the cap back off and it still did not drain well. Called Newmar customer service and there is a vent to check under the bath sink (which I did) and out side of that he said it may be the valves where you pull the handles to drain and stop. I said both of them and he said maybe and to take it to someone and have it checked out. He said it should drain in 10 minutes or less. 2/3' real fast and the last bit would take a little longer. I am thinking about using a snake in the outlet drain and see if that does anything.
What you're describing, to me, is a vent pipe that extends above the roof too far — when you replace the vent cover, it's blocking air from going into the vent. Remove the cap and measure the inside depth of it just to the bottom of the opening. Then measure the amount of vent pipe sticking above the roof. If the measurements are greater than ¼" of each other, trim the vent pipe by ¼" to ½"; no more than that at one time. Then replace the cap(s), fill & drain again and see if that helps. Also, I x2 the suggestions for clearing the vent pipe(s) as well. You can't have TOO much air flowing into the tanks!
GraciesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #23

Quote:
I personally like the section of pipe better. With the cap, it's very messy when it's time to unscrew it. Even with slide valve closed, you might get more than a bucket full according to how much volume between valve and cap.
Hydro Flush 90 degree is the way to go? So cap off the bottom run the hose wide open and if stuff comes back out get a bucket or plastic bag to let it drain in? If there is plastic of some sort in there it would be hard to get out wouldn't it? Thanks again!!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciesDaddy View Post
What you're describing, to me, is a vent pipe that extends above the roof too far — when you replace the vent cover, it's blocking air from going into the vent. Remove the cap and measure the inside depth of it just to the bottom of the opening. Then measure the amount of vent pipe sticking above the roof. If the measurements are greater than ¼" of each other, trim the vent pipe by ¼" to ½"; no more than that at one time. Then replace the cap(s), fill & drain again and see if that helps. Also, I x2 the suggestions for clearing the vent pipe(s) as well. You can't have TOO much air flowing into the tanks!
One pipe is flush and the grey water pipe is up 1/2 to 3/4" from where it actually comes through the roof. Could cut the grey water pipe flush to match the other. Sure it would not hurt. Also I guess stick a hose down the vents and run water to make sure they are clear? Being a new unit you would think it would be but who knows?
Old 06-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #25

Once your problem has been solved, I would suggest using a product such as Odorlos to aid the process of keeping the black tank functioning efficiently. We have used this product for the last 7-8 years and have no issues with sensors, drainage or odors. As for flow, our tank can be emptied and flushed in less then 10 minutes. Just a suggestion...
Old 06-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #26

New Horizons Owners Club
I believe I have read on this forum of all kinds of construction debris occasionally getting into the tank draining plumbing. I recall one member finding a 90 degree 2" fitting lodged in his drain line. Once it was removed the tank(s) drained as they should. Sounds like you have an obstruction in a common section of your plumbing for the grey and black tanks. Certainly could be the plastic hole discs from cutting the tanks. Has to be something in there. If it's new and under warranty I would attempt to enlist assistance from the dealer/manufacturer. Stay after it, you will get it straightened out.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
I believe I have read on this forum of all kinds of construction debris occasionally getting into the tank draining plumbing. I recall one member finding a 90 degree 2" fitting lodged in his drain line. Once it was removed the tank(s) drained as they should. Sounds like you have an obstruction in a common section of your plumbing for the grey and black tanks. Certainly could be the plastic hole discs from cutting the tanks. Has to be something in there. If it's new and under warranty I would attempt to enlist assistance from the dealer/manufacturer. Stay after it, you will get it straightened out.
It really does seem like there is an obstruction of some sort in the line. I am going to snake it here in a few minutes. If that does not help it will go in to an RV repair shop. I have called Newmar customer service and they took all my info and put it in the computer for warranty work.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #28

Holding Tanks

I filled my tanks with water and drained them and they drain fairly good at first and then slow way down. The grey tank keeps draining and draining to the point I shut it off and leave. I had mentioned this before and had a response from Luv2go and was curious if the pipe coming out of the tank is level, sloping down toward the drain or sloping up. I noticed mine is sloping up before it makes a turn to the drain and then slopes down. It has two pieces of approx. 1/2" plywood for shims. I would like to take one off and see what it does but i might throw the other pipe going to the drain off. Is your s the same? Thanks

Tags
tank