Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
Be flexible, if not flexible you will break like glass! As others above have said, have extra equipment along so you can adapt to the situation. These extras are very inexpensive and nice to have along to make your RV experience enjoyable.
Nah,I say you're absolutely correct..... And there should a better standard and Campground owners held to it......
So,at this point, if I was you.......I'd just give up RV'ing and use a Motel
Leave those shity campsites for us to use and get upset over

Happy Modeling...C😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Been RV'ing for 20 years. Probably in excess of 2000 different RV parks. I have yet to be unable to connect my utilities. I guess I don't understand the issue. You just need a little flexibility and ingenuity.

Our issue is on days we just stay the one night and don't want to unhook the car. We had to do this twice for power so I got a 10 ft. 50amp extension cord and so far so good. The most common issue on one nighters is the Sanicon hose is mid-ships and frequently won't make it to the sewer if in the rear of the site. Made and extension for that too and have had to use it twice on this trip.

YMMV but that is my experience.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #31

Glad I*m not following you
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd1508 View Post
I have asked this question before on this forum and two recent experiences have suggested that I ask the question again - Do Campground Owners, Operators, Staff Ever Go Camping? This question relates to the challenges of connecting power, water, and sewer connections to the terminal points provided by the campground.

My previous issue was non-threaded drain connections. In hindsight connecting to a non-threaded pipe would have been easy compared to our last site wherein a drain pipe that originally projected above ground had been driven over who knows how many times such that the top of the pipe was crushed and broken. When this was pointed out to the person who directed us to the site we were told to just lay a couple of rocks on top of our sewer pipe once it had somehow been forced into the drain. No, due to the park being full no other sites were available. Not sure that this arrangement would have complied with any building code regulations.

Now at this park where we arrived yesterday some bright spark had decided to locate the water connections in a concrete pit some 18" below ground. A heavy concrete cover hides this connection. There is no room in the pit to install a pressure regulator and or the water filter. These, as is the preferred practice, are usually installed at the source location. A couple of right-angled fittings that were in my odds and ends collection have allowed me to somehow squeeze these items into the wet bay of my rig.

Every RV park seems to bring a fresh challenge - full parks; sloping sites; the need to reserve six months in advance; dynamic pricing; sites too close together and challenging connection terminations etc etc. Too bad these same operators don't have time to hit the road and experience some of these challenges.

BTW - the best, most convenient site hook up connections to date (after just a mere three years of full-time living in an RV) that we have experienced is at the Newmar factory site in Nappanee.
We travel parts of the USA every summer. We have stayed at hundreds of RV parks, and understand about unusual/wierd/why/oops hookup situations. We have a voltage regulator/surge protector for the power cable because every now and then we experience an improperly grounded/low power, etc. shore post. We also have a 30A to 50A (our coach) adaptor. We carry extensions for our power, water, and sewer lines. We also have a commercial saddle bag filled with sand to place over the sewer hose campground connection point. In the case you described, I would have used our extension water hose to connect to the 18" deep hose bib, and connected our regular water line with presser regulator and filter to that hose. Hope some these ideas help someone. Rob
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hook Ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
The bleach idea is a good one, has me wondering how I would safely haul a spray bottle of bleach without it spilling.

Picture of my wet bay, extra 10’ of hose, paper towels, gloves, sanitizer and a spray bottle of bleach (diluted). I used bike water bottle holders for the sanitizer and spray bottle. This picture was taken with a renewzit in the bike holder where the sanitizer would go.

- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2923.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	338972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2924.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	338973  

RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:48 PM   #34

As a newbie, we've been to 10 campgrounds since April of this year. I don't have nearly the experience as most others on this forum, but I've made the observation that most campgrounds are busy, understaffed, and simply don't allocate enough of their budgets to to ongoing maintenance.

As guests at a hotel or cruise ship, we're never expected to put up with the inconveniences of these nuisance items - like poorly designed or poorly maintained connections, etc.

I read as many reviews as I can find before booking any campsite with the hopes of avoiding the worst offenders out there. And to repay for the time other campers have shared, I have written detailed reviews after every one of my stays. And I email my reviews directly to campground management hoping to share my positive and negative - observations.

Many of these issues are identified in the reviews (but not always). I suspect campground owners/managers who are aware of their reviews will make greater efforts to repair damaged water connections and the like. Maybe that's naive, but I want to believe this.

If more campers/RVers made the time to share honest reviews - including about items like hookups - I'll bet more of these items would be repaired/maintained to attract more customers.

Having said all that, I feel your pain and share your observations.
MattSiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd1508 View Post
I have asked this question before on this forum and two recent experiences have suggested that I ask the question again - Do Campground Owners, Operators, Staff Ever Go Camping? This question relates to the challenges of connecting power, water, and sewer connections to the terminal points provided by the campground.

My previous issue was non-threaded drain connections. In hindsight connecting to a non-threaded pipe would have been easy compared to our last site wherein a drain pipe that originally projected above ground had been driven over who knows how many times such that the top of the pipe was crushed and broken. When this was pointed out to the person who directed us to the site we were told to just lay a couple of rocks on top of our sewer pipe once it had somehow been forced into the drain. No, due to the park being full no other sites were available. Not sure that this arrangement would have complied with any building code regulations.

Now at this park where we arrived yesterday some bright spark had decided to locate the water connections in a concrete pit some 18" below ground. A heavy concrete cover hides this connection. There is no room in the pit to install a pressure regulator and or the water filter. These, as is the preferred practice, are usually installed at the source location. A couple of right-angled fittings that were in my odds and ends collection have allowed me to somehow squeeze these items into the wet bay of my rig.

Every RV park seems to bring a fresh challenge - full parks; sloping sites; the need to reserve six months in advance; dynamic pricing; sites too close together and challenging connection terminations etc etc. Too bad these same operators don't have time to hit the road and experience some of these challenges.

BTW - the best, most convenient site hook up connections to date (after just a mere three years of full-time living in an RV) that we have experienced is at the Newmar factory site in Nappanee.
I have a 3 foot hose to make my connections more accessible to add filters, softner and regulator.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:25 PM   #36

Yeah to all the gripes. Mine is having the sewer connection too far away to reach with our MH macerator pipe. So you have to move the rig to dump. The campground we are staying at now near Santa Fe is one of those. Also, the sites are much too close together. When I want to get something out of my basement when the slides are out, I have to step into the neighbor's patio.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
Be flexible, if not flexible you will break like glass! As others above have said, have extra equipment along so you can adapt to the situation. These extras are very inexpensive and nice to have along to make your RV experience enjoyable.
And then you get the satisfaction of being a guy who fixes stuff, not just bitches about stuff!
Echo-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:09 AM   #38

I agree with the "be flexible" philosophy. However, the one thing that really gets me is when the top of the sewer pipe is 6 inches above grade and the pad is 3 inches lower. My holding tank outlet is 7-1/2 inches above grade. There is NO way to make the tanks drain UPHILL. One would think the designers (or managers) would realize that the problem could be solved in under 30 minutes with $10, a hacksaw, a new fitting and ABS glue.
"I'm just sayin'"
Old 08-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Speaking of new fittings on the sewer line.... my least favorite sever connector is the one with a spring on the flapper on it. It is a chore to make the Sanicon connector very hard to attach. I fixed this by using Banjo fittings on the sewer fitment end. I attach the Sanicon connector without the hose attached and then Banjo on the hose once it is attached to the sewer. Otherwise, I have to use a rubber doughnut and a bungy cord to keep it in the hole.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:36 AM   #40

I never knew hooking up utilities could be such a challenge. Usually takes me less than about a minute to get them all hooked up.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:46 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I never knew hooking up utilities could be such a challenge. Usually takes me less than about a minute to get them all hooked up.
hohenwald48,

Well, very happy for you. Please let us know the names and location of your selected RV campgrounds so that we, and all the responders to this thread each quoting their own hookup issues, can benefit from these quick connect locations.
As you can see from all the responses on this subject we(I) must be doing something very wrong because it takes me more than a minute to decide what plumbing fitting, spare length of hose, threaded or non-threaded connector, bungee cord, electrical adapter, go searching for a rock to weigh down the non-threaded sewer connection or as an alternative fill the sandbag, etc etc all of which I carry, and more, in my portable Home Depot store that I need to drag along. Oh yes, a road grader also comes in handy to level the site and to fill in the potholes in the gravel approach roads.
When we park at a Harvest Host, Boondockers Welcome or on BLM lands all or most of which have no hookups but where the cost is zero - we get what we pay for. When we park at a commercial campground where the cost can be anywhere up to $125 a night (as was recently quoted . . plus "$10/night resort fee"!) surely we should expect to be able to complete the hookup process "in less than about a minute".
What with all the above, plus rising gas prices, overcrowded campgrounds (with, as reported in another thread on this Forum, inconsiderate fellow campers), a highway system in very bad need of repair, hurricanes, severe thunderstorms, etc, might be time to reconsider this whole lifestyle; buy a 'bricks and sticks' and go back to mowing the lawn on the weekends. At least the service hookups will be permanent.
mwd1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #42

It is part of the cult thing. Just like everything else about RV'ing. Good suggestions above. Carry extra stuff and be ready. We have been out for two months now in 22 different campgrounds. We have yet to be anywhere we could not hook up. I agree that a sunken sewer dump is difficult to spin my 90 degree in so I carry a donut as well and a tiered rubber insert. I mean something gotta work. If the sewer dump is too far from my outlet and I am only staying 2-4 nights I wiil dump when I leave. I know we pay for all this but that is just the way it is. I carry 30 ft of sewer hose and 65 feet of water hose. I know everyone cannot do that so do the best you can. Set up. Put out the awning, pop a brewsky and enjoy. Especially in these tough times. Just say'n