RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hope someone can help me with our jacks!!

We are at a camp ground and went to level the motorhome (1999 DSDP) and the jacks are making a heck of a noise. They retracted fine this morning. And just made the normal humming noise when retracting. When I went to put them down tonight it made a much louder grinding noise. I stopped and only one jack a partially down , I went to put it back up and had to use a board to get it to go up. Afraid to try it again. I had it serviced before we left they were suppose to check the fluid but not sure if they did. Can someone tell me if this might be the problem, and where do I check the fluid at? I hope this all makes some kind of sence but right now our vacation is not going very good. Will be waiting for your replys thanks alot

Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #2

The HWH pump and reservoir on my coach is easily accessible with the genset slide out , it mounted to the front of the passenger side frame rail.
Retract all jacks before adding any fluid , or you will over fill the tank.
Do you have the users manual for the jacks ?
They are available as a download at
Welcome to HWH Corporation
Should be a 310 series. Mine is.
Automatic trans fluid is acceptable , but if the system worked one day and then quit because of low fluid you may have developed a leak.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you find the tank there will be a bell vent on the top of tank, black about 6" SQUARE and 16" long, the bell vent screws out and will have a metal shaft with two lines on it fill with fluid up between the two lines with all your jacks retracted.
You may need to operate a couple of times to get all fluid put back in hydraulic lines to jacks.
In this link on page MP65.0 you will see jack system and tank with motor attached and on page MP 85.3032 you will see the tank and motor again and a black dot which is the bell vent.
You may need a small funnel to get the fluid in tank without spilling.
Look on your jack foot pads you may see the fluid that is leaking, if it is, could be the repair Tech did not refill tank after working on your system.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
checked to fluid nd it was on the add line put some in it now I think I over filled it. Not sure how to drain some out? Don't want to try to level it til I do that.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
checked to fluid nd it was on the add line put some in it now I think I over filled it. Not sure how to drain some out? Don't want to try to level it til I do that.
If all the jacks are all the way up , you can't be too far overfull. The system will burp some out the breather if way too full or if the jacks were down . you could put a catch can or a tarp under that reservoir.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
x2 with SKIP, you can remove some with a battery water fill squeeze bulb if your way over the line.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
ok I did that I tried the jacks (just for a couple seconds) but still make a loud grinding noise. So I stopped right away. I'm afraid if I try to put them all the way down, I won't be able to get them back up.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

Is the noise from the pump? Can you have your DW , cycle the pump to make sure that's exactly where the unusual noise is coming from ?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your jacks go down but do not store open the T valves and the springs will pull up the jacks which they are for in the first place. The springs are what forces the fluid back to tank.
All the pump does is put jacks down with pressure of fluid to jack pistons, the noise you may hear is the pump having to work the fluid through the solenoids for each jack.

Tags
jacks