Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2022, 10:46 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
House batteries discharging with no load?

We just took delivery of a 2022 Bay Star 3014 at the end of November. We spent a few nights with full hookups at a campground nearby, so I assume that the house batteries were fully charged when we departed the campground. At home, I went out to the coach 4-5 days later and the battery level registered 11.8 volts (on both the level meter display and the Xantrex inverter panel meter display).

I did not have it plugged into shore power during this period, but we weren't running anything that would draw the batteries down that much. We have an RV refrigerator (not residential), and I shut it off within a few hours of returning home. I ran the slides (bedroom and full-wall) a few times, but always with the generator running (as recommended by Newmar). I think the only things that should have been drawing power is the microwave clock and the inverter.

So, I decided to test it. I connected shore power until the Xantrex panel indicated that it had achieved float charging. I disconnected shore power and started monitoring voltage. The Xantrex panel indicated no draw (0 amps) at all times. Here are the results (hours after full charge / voltage):
0 hrs / 13.2V
1 hr / 13.0V
3 hrs / 12.9V
5 hrs / 12.8V
10 hrs / 12.6V
13 hrs / 12.5V
26 hrs / 12.5V
38 hrs / 12.4V

Both the level meter and the Xantrex meter agreed on the voltage except for the final reading at 38 hours, the Xantrex showed 12.3 while the level meter showed 12.4. I understand that it takes a while after charging to get an accurate state of charge, explaining the drop in the first 10 hours, but is the drop from 12.6V to 12.4V (or 12.3V) to be expected over a period of 28 hours under the conditions that I describe?

Thanks in advance for your help.
-Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2022, 12:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have many items that will drain your batteries, and to avoid this is to plug your shore line into a 120 or 11o outlet and keep your battery cut off, BCO switch on at all times when driving coach or able to connect your shore line.
This link will explain your battery charging system and lots to read about it and your new owners guide will also.
If the batteries were never recharged by dealer or water levels checked that maybe a problem also.

Congratulations 0n your new coach and being a member now on the Newmar forum.

The link I gave you will cover many situations about your batteries and many other items to read after the charging problem is resolved, which maybe just have your coach plugged in to fully charge the batteries.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #3

With the house battery disconnect on and the inverter (power to the inverter does not go through the house battery disconnect, it is directly wired to the battery bank) on there will be a load on the batteries. This will be the case if no other loads are on, this is what is called parasitic loads. Even with the battery disconnect & inverter off a few things will draw down the batteries.

For long term storage without shore power it is best to disconnect the negative leads from the battery bank.

Bay Star's can have 3 different battery configurations, that will also determine how long it takes to deplete the batteries. Which battery configuration do you have?
Which inverter 1000 or 2000 watt?
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:07 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of gremlins robbing power. Too many to chase.
Ditto what "007" posted.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #5

Batteries

You might want to have the batteries tested by a competent business since your coach is probably on a warranty. Batteries are probably warranties by whoever made them. If you have a dead short in one of them it could be an issue. I would start there before you troubleshoot your system. Good luck, Travato John
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:51 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Bay Star's can have 3 different battery configurations, that will also determine how long it takes to deplete the batteries. Which battery configuration do you have?
Which inverter 1000 or 2000 watt?
Hi Steve, we have a 2000W Xantrex Freedom inverter and six 6-volt 225Ah batteries (4 on the battery tray in the battery compartment and 2 in the engine compartment).

BTW, the voltage just fell to 12.3 (44 hours after a full charge).
Old 01-10-2022, 02:03 PM   #7

Keep it plugged in or disconnect the batt bank.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks to 007 and others. I'll check the battery fluid levels although I took delivery within a few weeks of production, so it seems unlikely that they are low. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out whether it's a problem at all. If the voltage loss I'm observing is typical parasitic drain then the batteries are probably okay and I'll just have to manage them accordingly.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:08 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Keep it plugged in or disconnect the batt bank.
Thanks for the advice. At this point, I'm also trying to figure out how often (and for how long) I can expect to run the generator while boondocking.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotokan View Post
Hi Steve, we have a 2000W Xantrex Freedom inverter and six 6-volt 225Ah batteries (4 on the battery tray in the battery compartment and 2 in the engine compartment).

BTW, the voltage just fell to 12.3 (44 hours after a full charge).
That is the same configuration that I have. With the inverter on and the other phantom loads that is about what I would expect. Your TV’s also consume a bit when in standby.

If you disconnect the battery negatives for storage there will be three cables to remove on the front battery pair. 2 cables on the rear batteries one one each post of the 2 pairs.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is a lot of things that draw power off the batteries. The big one are Propane/CO detectors, others include radio preset, tv antenna amplifier, wifi gear, monitor systems, etc...

Best rule is turn off the master switch.

But you could have some poor batteries. Charge them for 24 hours. Disconnect the primary ground. Check voltage it should have like 13.xv across the battery bank. A week later check the voltage it should be about 12.7 to 12.8 that's good.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Everyone, thanks for the help and advice. It sounds like my battery system is operating more or less in the normal range. I will just have to start up the generator a little more often than I hoped to do while boondocking.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotokan View Post
Everyone, thanks for the help and advice. It sounds like my battery system is operating more or less in the normal range. I will just have to start up the generator a little more often than I hoped to do while boondocking.
We do a lot of motorcycle rallies with no shore power. I usually run our gen-set for 90 minutes every 12 hours when boondocking to help keep the batts topped off. I like to add a load like an AC or heat pump so as not to run the gen-set unloaded.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries