RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
House batteries go dead while driving

I know there's many postings on this but seems on different brands. My house batteries go dead while driving the inv alarm starts to beep. They were plugged in to shore power and seemed fine but after 6 hours on road they go dead. What do I check first. The batteries including coach batteries are from 2008. When fully charged and sitting with switch in store position the house batteries barely last 36 hours. Any ideas.
Where do I start.
Thanks in advance
Ken

Ken326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My guess is that there could be two problems. It sure sounds like you're not charging the house batteries while driving... which is often times a faulty solenoid. Secondly, if your batteries are going dead in 36 hours while the switch has them disconnected... it sounds like it's time to replace them.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ok I will replace all batteries this weekend any further advice on checking sylanoid or its location. It's a 2002 Newmar MA 40 ft DP 2 slides?Thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'll leave the location of the solenoid to the Newmar experts but it's the same one that connects both banks of batteries when the "boost" momentary switch is pushed. Usually located in or around the electrical bay in most rigs I believe.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #5

Welcome to iRV2. It looks like you already got good advice. Here's a link that will give you all you need to know about deep cycle batteries. Good luck.
Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
Old 10-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Anyone know location of solenoid?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Y ou are 2 years newer than me but look in the comartment,drivers side where your electric cord is. Mine are mounted behind a clear plexaglass panel on the rear wall. I am not 100% sure but it will be a start. A phone call to newmar and they will tell you right a way the location. Hope this helps
Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you. Ill check there as soon as Sandy moves on. Ken
Old 10-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #9

Here is some other info, depending on the type of batteries you choose.
Be sure to change your charger/inverter battery type when changing batteries/type.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
This brings up the necessity of monitoring your batteries charging and discharging. This will tell you exactly what is happening and keep you from going below the magical 50% depth of discharge (habitually going below 50% shortens the life of your battery). The battery FAQ stresses this!
I chose a Victron BMV-600S and BMV-602S - Victron Energy but Bogart Engineering Trimetric is also a good choice.
I will also say a volt ohm meter is your friend and can help the raw, is my system doing what it should.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your Bird system should be maintaining your battery systems.
If your battery cut off switch is always on and you have shore power or Gen and your alternator is sending out a charge while driving.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #12

you should have dc to coach while drivening even if your batters are bad dont know what system you have but there should be a sol that connects your batterys vtogeather if the chassis volt is correct
mmcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #13

Everyone else has given you excellent feedback. Thought I would take this one step further. You mentioned your house batteries are going dead while driving. What about the starting battery? I'm wondering if maybe you broke the alternator belt and nothing is being charged? Or maybe the belt is slipping and needs tightening, although this is a remote possibility since your coach probably has a tensioner for the belt. If you have a volt meter (multimeter) check the batteries while the engine is running. The battery voltage should show somewhere around 13.8 to 14.4 volts +- or if you check a 6 volt battery it will show around 6.9 to 7.2 volts. This will indicate if the alternator is working or not.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Once you figure out what the problum was and have it fixed I would if I were you start to think about getting a couple solar pannels for your roof.
I have a couple on mine with a voltage regulator and it keeps my batteries up.
When I park it next to my house I turn everthing off.
So the solar pannels will charge the batteries up and when they are charged up the voltage regulator will turn off.
Just a thought

Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries