Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #1

We opted for the household frig on our 2006 Essex. We soon discovered it was not wired to the inverter....is this a common occurance or should it have been wired in? We have the 4 extra batteries. We talked to the factory and they said they put 4 extra batteries in for everyone. Kind of strange since you would want your refrigerator operational when you are going down the road...especially on a long trip.
Steve and Desi Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #2

We opted for the household frig on our 2006 Essex. We soon discovered it was not wired to the inverter....is this a common occurance or should it have been wired in? We have the 4 extra batteries. We talked to the factory and they said they put 4 extra batteries in for everyone. Kind of strange since you would want your refrigerator operational when you are going down the road...especially on a long trip.
Steve and Desi Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve and Desi Bang welcome to irv2
With all the problems with the combo large refrig's you may have made the right choice. The only thing I would check for is that they have fans installed thru the rear of refer up to roof vent. I know the compressor has a fan for cooling coils but it would be something to look for on a hot day it maybe not enough.
Others have asked your same question on household refers and Newmar said they don't wire it up to run while traveling. If its cold enough it should stay cold to next destination.
Others have wired outlet to inverter ckt to keep it running.
I see no problem doing that your batts are charged by altenator while traveling anyhow.
Congrats on your new coach maybe the new ESSEX OWNERS should form a group to deal with Newmar with all the stupid problems you all are experiencing QC & testing seems to be lacking and poor communication with Dealers on fix's for some of what should be minor problems to fix.

If you feel the sprite to join the Newmar Forum I will input it for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #4

We had to specify what was to be wired to the inverter-such as ice maker on frig(even with propane still need 110V for ice). Other outlets we specified included dash outlet for computer, garage for TV/computer, etc. Unfortunately Newmar doesn't understand its not just while running. In order to determine which outlets were not wired to the inverter we had to meter every outlet on an existing new coach(was not able to get drawings, etc.).
Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I can understand an RV fridge not wired to the inverter because it can run on LP. But a residential fridge? How else is it going to run unless you keep it plugged into shore power or run the genset all the time. I'm thinking that it should have been wired to the inverter.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wonder if Newmar monitors this forum they would sure learn alot these pass weeks, maybe ED Skibinski could clue them in I had mention it to them once back with the water problem, said they would. Not looking for bashing just trying to save everyone Newmar & us time and "MONEY".
Old 08-29-2006, 03:36 PM   #7

We just took delivery on an 07 Essex with a Frigidaire residential refrigerator and it is hooked up to the inverter. I can't imagine any unit having an AC only frig. not conneceted to the inverter.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congrats Road Pilot on your new ESSEX hope you have been following the threads lately alot of testing going on with the new ESSEX's.

Welcome to irv2
Old 08-29-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Roger, I'll have some brochures with me and a few (hundred) of my iRV2 business cards to hand out at the factory...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

I'm not thinking new coach by any means,but my next one will be an all electric with a residential style refrigerator.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

That's what I did, Bob. I did the math and the residential refrigerator isn't that bad of an energy hog. The only issue is when you are boondocking and 8 batteries should handle that okay.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote