RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2020, 08:51 PM   #1

How are those Sony radios in the Bay Star?

Will be ordering a 2021 Bay Star and when I looked up the std Sony radio they have been using the reviews weren't that good not to mention it is only $79 on Amazon.

Wondering what model radio would fit in its place for a factory pick-up install? Only want the radio as I already have a RV Garmin

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #2

I know you said you have a Garmin but I still would consider something that allows Android auto or Apple Car Play.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #3

How are those Sony radios in the Bay Star?

Check out this post for some suggestions if you’re looking for a replacement option.

I am done with the Xite radio...https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/i-am-done-with-the-xite-radio-423439.html
Newmar2856 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #4

It's just okay. Between the head unit and the two six inch speakers, you get a nice AM radio quality sound. But we're full time and don't drive that much so it's not a big deal.

Any double DIN stereo will fit the opening but you'll never get quality sound considering the cavernous interior of the motorhome. A better head unit can make a difference but without better and many more speakers that can fill the space, it just won't sound all that good.

It might be better and cheaper to buy a quality bluetooth speaker and use that up on the dash. Then you can take it outside or move it to a better position in the rig for listening when you're not driving.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
It's just okay. Between the head unit and the two six inch speakers, you get a nice AM radio quality sound. But we're full time and don't drive that much so it's not a big deal.

Any double DIN stereo will fit the opening but you'll never get quality sound considering the cavernous interior of the motorhome. A better head unit can make a difference but without better and many more speakers that can fill the space, it just won't sound all that good.

It might be better and cheaper to buy a quality bluetooth speaker and use that up on the dash. Then you can take it outside or move it to a better position in the rig for listening when you're not driving.
Well if anyone would know it would be you. Was not only thinking about when you were driving but also while in the campground or boondocking.

In my model (3401) I will have the TV with I believe bluetooth in the LR... wonder if that will bring the sound back towards the rear? I never actually listened to the radio when examining the model I selected. What about that JBL sound system they present sound like it doesn't sound so good...pun intended...lol

I only inquired because I was wondering if my downloaded songs on my new G7 unlocked phone (used only with the EVO drone) could be broadcasted through the bluetooth radio while driving or boondocking. (Still love my freedom-flip phone)

Will have to look into it more. I guess one option is a bluetooth speaker like you said...do you have one if so what model? Like the idea of taking it outside was thinking more of the inside...what about the bedroom speakers?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:44 AM   #6

You can probably listen to your phone via Bluetooth, though I'm not familiar with your model of phone. Our iPhone we really easy to hook up and work well.

As for the Bluetooth speaker, you can get really nice ones for a lot less than a set of car speakers and a quality head unit. Plus, you can move them around into the bedroom, outdoors, or even the bathroom so you can sing in the shower.

We have two Oontz Angle 3 speakers that can connect in stereo and they're water resistant. We also just bought a Vizeo 2.1 sound bar for the TV that sounds amazing. You could kill two birds with one stone buying a nice sound bar but you can't really move it around.

Tags
bay star, radio