Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
good idea to check with dealer!
Why 2 different sizes on rig?
May be a good time to make front match the rear an then you can rotate to outer dual, or something much more safe!
PaceArrow06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #30

Steer Tire

Without physically being there to look at the tire and looking at the picture really isn’t giving me a accurate sense that it needs to be changed, however when it comes to steer tires I always play it safe, if that tire blows it could become disastrous, but a new tire, keep that one for a spare for the back.
eightydeuce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #31

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I ran over a curb and damage my front tire. I am wondering how badly damaged it is, the gouge goes about 1/3 away around. I want to replace it with another Michelin but I am have difficulty time finding one. The tire is a Michelin XZA 365/70R22.5

So why dont you contact Michelin????
Old 06-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #32

If you are stuck on Michelin get two new Michelin Defenders for the front.
AL Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #33

John RT

It is very unfortunate that this Tire is not a good one especially for the use of anyone's front tire. What is also hard to understand is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion with out having the proper knowledge of what RV manufacturers are asking of the Tire manufacturer. They want tires to carry bigger loads so they can have heavier axles to put under heavier RV's. I have been in the commercial Tire business my whole life and feel very comfortable giving the right opinion. All Large RV manufacturers are using the Newer Tire size of 365/70R22.5 on front ends to handle 20,000 lb front axles. There are even some manufacturers using the same size on tag axles. I retired in 2016 and at that time and I think even now Michelin is the only manufacturer of this Tire Size. There is no substitute size. I am also aware of the very tight supply on this particular tire from Michelin. There is a lot of great information and knowledge in the RV ownership world. What is frustrating is that All manufacturers have moved forward with all new technology and not everyone is aware of this. i want to state again i have the utmost respect for everyone's opinion, please just make it an opinion of the current question.

JohnRT
2019 Newmar LA 4535
JohnRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRT View Post
It is very unfortunate that this Tire is not a good one especially for the use of anyone's front tire. What is also hard to understand is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion with out having the proper knowledge of what RV manufacturers are asking of the Tire manufacturer. They want tires to carry bigger loads so they can have heavier axles to put under heavier RV's. I have been in the commercial Tire business my whole life and feel very comfortable giving the right opinion. All Large RV manufacturers are using the Newer Tire size of 365/70R22.5 on front ends to handle 20,000 lb front axles. There are even some manufacturers using the same size on tag axles. I retired in 2016 and at that time and I think even now Michelin is the only manufacturer of this Tire Size. There is no substitute size. I am also aware of the very tight supply on this particular tire from Michelin. There is a lot of great information and knowledge in the RV ownership world. What is frustrating is that All manufacturers have moved forward with all new technology and not everyone is aware of this. i want to state again i have the utmost respect for everyone's opinion, please just make it an opinion of the current question.

JohnRT

2019 Newmar LA 4535

Thanks John for a well thought out response.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:29 PM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I ran over a curb and damage my front tire. I am wondering how badly damaged it is, the gouge goes about 1/3 away around. I want to replace it with another Michelin but I am have difficulty time finding one. The tire is a Michelin XZA 365/70R22.5
Are you talking w/ local TRUCK SHOPS, and if they do not have, can they refer you?
Old 06-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #36

Tough circumstance to be in all around. If you haven't thought about it -- or in your current situation you may almost have to ignore the reality -- that some of the rare "available" ones are aged over never ones. Will suppliers inform you of the date codes on each replacement tire you are contracting for? You may not have that luxury to be picky right now.
Good luck and safe travels.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:47 AM   #37

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamir View Post
I would move it to the rear at a minimum. Don't gamble with your steering tires.
The steer are a different size than the drive or tag. I do have a new tire order and it will be at a tire shop when I head out a couple of weeks
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
So why dont you contact Michelin????
I have. They could only tell me if they had/have any in their warehouse or if they are currently in production. They do not have any info on which shops have the tire.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL Wood View Post
If you are stuck on Michelin get two new Michelin Defenders for the front.
You are funny. Those are for light trucks.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #40

Quote:
After speaking with Michelin they said it would have to be removed and inspected. Which is what I expected them to say. I called 3 shops within 50 miles and they are looking for the tire. I'm planning on replacing the tire. If I'm going to get the tire off I might as well replace it for a piece of mind. I just would like another Michelin over another brand.
Might try E-Bay as they often sell single tires new used and slightly used -

Just another option, Not always there on day one but .........sometimes

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #41

retired long

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Have a Michelin tire dealer who handles OTR truck tires take a look at itrom a photo.
Have tire replaced by tire shop befor you think about driving at highway speeds. Wouldnt even have it on rear wheels.
retired long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
alignment and front tires

I did not realize how out of alignment my coach had gotten because it was gradual. The alignment caused damage to my front passenger tire on the outside that looked similar to the photo in this discussion, but without the separation. Once I found my tire damage I immediately recognized that it was unsafe and needed to be replaced. I found a commercial truck and tire shop to get the work done and had all my tires inspected. They were able to replace my front tires with the same brand and model and had them delivered a few hours later. $2,700 later I am now in full alignment, including ride height, and have two new front tires. All of this happened three weeks ago in Rapid City, SD and finding the new tires were not a problem.

The tire damage shown in this discussion is a very real danger and should not be driven on any more than necessary.

Tags
tire