Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #1

How do I change the Freightliner Driver Display Screen?

I have a 2017 Dutch Star 4369 on a Freightliner chassis. Any suggestion on how to change the Driver Display Screen above the speedometer? The Freightliner chassis manual has 14 pages that, frankly, are very confusing. Since the display only works with the engine running, I would like to have simple instructions to:

1. Set the Clock

2. Get rid of the Checklist menu, if possible.

Thanks
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Push down on the joystick (collective) and when you get to the menu item you want, push left on that joystick (cyclic) and see what changes you can make. New to it myself, not sure if we can get rid of the checklist, mine is memory items. I always read the manual as a last resort...
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

I had the same frustrations..... What I finally did was call the Freightliner 24/7 number. They will walk you through what you want to do in under 3 minutes.
One caution...at least on 2016 models. If you turn the batteries off while storing your coach, you will loose the data you set and have to reset it.
They told me they know this is a problem they are trying to find a solution to. Don't know if it is corrected in the 17s or not.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

Hi Rex
I'm no expert on this but I have found a way to set mine several times. The instructions are crap and the procedure to make changes is rather backwards. BTW the engine does not have to be on but I believe the key does have to be advanced to the first position. Scroll to clock and I believe you hold the mouse (button) to the left/right to allow time set. I apologize I certainly don't know enough to instruct to teach anyone but through experimenting I bet you nail it in no time!
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #5

When we had our pre-delivery orientation, the tech pointed to the display and said you can customize the display, just read the manual. Right!

If you turn the ignition key to the first position the engine inlet pre-heat comes on and is a big drain on the battery, so I think it best to set the display with the engine running.

I am hoping to eliminate the pre-trip checklist and go directly to the engine function, but there is no mention of that in the manual so I may have to call Freightliner.

Rex
Old 10-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"LK23"......With the key ON or engine running, you can change some of the display items like the "LEG" items, ie..fuel leg, econ leg etc.

So......scroll down so that the black line is covering the item you want to change, ie....fuel leg. Push the toggle switch to the right and the item will change, giving you several options. Keep doing this until you find the item you want. You can go to the next group of items, buy toggling down to a new item and then push right again.

Here is where people run into trouble. If you want to change major items, like the clock/date/time, the ignition switch has to be ON or the engine running AND the Parking Brake on.

This time, push the toggle to the right and hold about 9 seconds. This will bring up your "SETUP", and a couple of other categories, like diagnostics. In the SETUP window you can do things like clock/date/time.

On mine, I have the first line showing the clock/date/time, second line showing the outside air temp and the third line showing the average fuel economy.

The two big things you have to remember, one, you can only change category items, like fuel economy, one line at a time, selecting what you want to see.

Second, you can only change major items with the Parking Brake on, like clock/date/time and look at diagnostics when you hold the toggle to the right for 9 seconds.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

Don,

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow when the engine is running and waiting for the air bags to fill.

Rex
Old 10-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #8

I called Freightliner today and learned how to remove the Pre-Trip Checklist.

1. Turn the ignition Key to the right, On position. Don't worry about running down the battery. The inlet heater stays on temporarily based on outside temperature and will shut off quickly on warm days.

2. Press the Lightbar Control to the right for 5 seconds to get the SETUP menu.

3. Select CONFIGURE CHECKLIST.

4. Using the Lightbar Control, scroll down the list and press to the right to remove the checkmarks from all items on the checklist. Insure the there are no checkmarks.

5. Press the Lightbar Control to the left a couple of times to return to the main menu.

6. Turn the engine off and wait 20 seconds.

7. Turn the key to the On position and the Pre-Trip Checklist has vanished!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for posting these instructions. Will be the first thing I do tomorrow morning.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #10

And I thought I was the only one who found the instructions in the manual hard to follow. I ended up just playing with it for about half an hour to get the display the way I wanted.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:42 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not been able to get a fuel mileage to display. It's supposed to do this, right? If so, how? Thanks!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #12

The items also scroll sideways, that is, you should select "trip" (if I remember correctly) and then push the toggle left or right you will find mpg.. You can select quite a few main items that have sub menus such as engine and transmission data.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Could you tell me how to get to the "Fuel Leg" on the driver's dash display.
jpshadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #14

Wow. I'm thinking I'm glad I have the Spartan Chassis. It has its share of problems, but the dash display is pretty straight forward.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, freightliner, scr