Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
How Do I Turn Fridge off for Storage

I recently put my 2018 Newmar Bay Star 3113 in storage for a few weeks - I turned off the battery switch above the door (same as I used to do with my old coach) - however when I took the RV out of storage my fridge would only run on the generator. I have been told that the fridge has no button to turn it off and it will continue to run off of its own battery (which is charged by a small solar panel on the roof). It doesn't seem smart to simply let that battery run until it dies, but there seems to be no way to turn the fridge off. I have learned that where the fridge is plugged in is behind a kitchen cupboard. The only way to unplug seems to be to remove the drawer (not super difficult but certainly not a simple thing) in order to unplug the fridge. Has anyone else encountered this issue with the fridge ? What do you do when you store the MH? thx very much
plebreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have the same problem. Will be following this thread
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:53 AM   #3

I pulled the fuse one time when I was wanting to kill the fridge. Don't remember the reason I needed to do that now.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:01 AM   #4

plebreaux-

What make and model is your refrigerator?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
Community Moderator

If it’s a residential fridge, you should be able to turn off the inverter.

If it’s a propane fridge you should be able to turn it off, or pull a fuse…..even though main battery cutoff should work in this case.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:26 AM   #6

You should have a breaker to control that fridge receptacle and a 12 volt fuse.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:05 AM   #7

All I do is turn off the 120V breaker in the breaker box in the 1/2 bath.
I've been doing that on my last 2 coaches since 2005 MADP as all have been all electric coaches.

It works every time.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
On my RV’s residential fridge if you raise the temp sittings on the digital display inside the fridge it will go up to about 40 degrees and then the next higher temp reads OFF. I have to do both the fridge and the freezer setting.

I turn the fridge off when we unload it upon returning from a trip before cleaning it.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #9

On my 2021 Bay Star, inside the refrigerator on the right side wall there is a small control panel for temp adjustment - whatever the very front button is you press and hold for 3+ seconds and the fridge turns of - can't guarantee there's no residual draw going on, but the refrigerator stops cooling and the light goes out.

Be aware every time you turn on the "battery disconnect" (re-energize the house batteries) it usually turns on the inverter, and turning on the inverter automatically starts the fridge and microwave, starting the draw cycle
DaveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #10

I flip the Frig breaker to off.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMan View Post
On my 2021 Bay Star, inside the refrigerator on the right side wall there is a small control panel for temp adjustment - whatever the very front button is you press and hold for 3+ seconds and the fridge turns of - can't guarantee there's no residual draw going on, but the refrigerator stops cooling and the light goes out.

Be aware every time you turn on the "battery disconnect" (re-energize the house batteries) it usually turns on the inverter, and turning on the inverter automatically starts the fridge and microwave, starting the draw cycle
Same as above, if it is say a residential LG, press and hold the cold setting button for 4 seconds and it will turn off. Press and hold again for 4 seconds it will turn back on. Sometimes the light will still come on when you open the door, even though the fridge is OFF. If you want to leave the door open a bit in storage just unscrew the bulb a turn or two.

JCP
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:41 PM   #12

The small solar panel is rated at 10 watts, its only purpose is to trickle charge the chassis battery. It has nothing to do with charging the house battery bank. The battery disconnect switch does not power down the 12 volt feed to the inverter as the inverter is directly connected to the house battery bank. The power switch on the inverter and/or inverter remote panel must be turned off to shut down the inverter. The simplest way to ensure the refer is off after shutting down the inverter is to switch off the dedicated circuit breaker for the refer.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:53 AM   #13

Pull the MCB connection Off
Rechird123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:20 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2018 New Aire, I shut off the breaker in the closet. It is the only way I can see to shut it down to where it does not pull from the batteries.
NewMar Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, storage