RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
How do you carry your propane bottles?

We are considering a gas grill and would like input on how others safely carry/secure the propane bottle in a DSDP. Have read transporting location should have a lower vent for any escaped gas to escape.

TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I carry my little green propane bottles in a milk crate that rides on my big LP tank in the coach's vented LP bay. I figure, one big bomb is better than a bunch of little bombs. My tire covers also ride in there, in a plastic kitty litter pail with lid.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I figure there is little hazard, since Wal-marts, sporting goods stores and grocery stores carry them on their shelves. 🤠
Old 04-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRod View Post
We are considering a gas grill and would like input on how others safely carry/secure the propane bottle in a DSDP. Have read transporting location should have a lower vent for any escaped gas to escape.
You have to weigh your risks. Some are paranoid and that's fine. I keep my 11 lb bottle in the forward right bay. I also at times will carry a full size bottle instead (if I'm going to use my fire pit). If I'm going across a bay bridge tunnel that has restrictions, I'll take 1 or 2 1lb green bottles.

Your entire basement shares the same venting/circulation except for the battery bay. The green bottles I would keep in the pegboard bay but do keep in mind direct sun on that door can make a hot compartment as it's shallow and items in there probably heat up more than others.

If concerned, consider keeping it in your toad during transport such as if you have a pickup.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

I too use the milk crate bottle fits snugly and it's much easier to strap down than the round tank.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #6

We carry two 20# tanks. In our setup they ride in the bed of the pickup toad. It does have a cap, so a pretty tight enclosed space. If we have nothing electrical active in the bed, I don't bother to vent the tanks, When coming down from Alaska with a chest freezer running in the bed 24/7, both 20# tanks are vented to the outside with hoses on the valves. Yes, I know the compressor on the freezer is sealed, but the thermostat and start relay is not, so I outside vent. For a few years we traveled with them tied down in the RV basement, but when they were downstairs they were also hose vented to the outside all the time.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002guy View Post
I too use the milk crate bottle fits snugly and it's much easier to strap down than the round tank.
Me too. 20lb tank fits snuggly in the crate. I don't even remove it from the milk crate to use it most times.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Me too. 20lb tank fits snuggly in the crate.
I carry a 20 lb bottle in a milk crate...fits perfect.....and the milk crate rides perfectly in the 2 bay from the front tire......C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a small 11lb propane tank that I keep in a wash bucket for use with a lantern and BBQ. It stays in a bay all the time. I have a 20lb tank we take to Yosemite to use with a heater. When we take that tank, I stand it up in the 3/4 bay.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #10

We use a 30# tank for our fire pit but I am lucky because I can transport it in my enclosed trailer. I secured a milk crate to the floor and it fits in there perfectly. I'm not sure how I would transport it in the basement storage of my coach.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #11

We have a 20 lbs tank in a milk crate bolted to a sheet of plywood on our short slide out tray. It fits tightly and doesnít move. We also carry about a half a dozen 1 lbs canisters also. They are tucked snuggly in another bay.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #12

I keep ours in a plastic storage bin with a lid. They are locked in place with other items. So no banging around. This keeps them upright.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:45 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I made a holder from aluminum shapes. It holds two one-pound cylinders. It is attached to the propane tank storage bay door, in a location that does not interfere with closing the door.

One of the drawbacks to carrying cylinders in this location is that they will rust more quickly than if they were protected from road spray.

I have since added a tee before the regulator. The allows me to use the coach tank’s propane for the grill. Consequently, I do not carry the one-pound cylinders any more.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:00 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I use a milk crate bought from Home Depot.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane