RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #1

How do you clean your engine bay

I know that many of you have their engine bay in spotless condition.
I saw a video on YouTube where they are using P21S Total auto wash.
Are there any parts that you cover?
Can you share your best practice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #2

I generally wash it with a pressure washer and hot water. It gets pretty clean and if you stay on top of it follow up washes aren't as bad. I have used brake cleaner on the underside parts that are really caked with grease and dirt. Does a pretty good job. Can eat paint so you have to be careful.

Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #3

Use the power washer if really getting fussy grab the engine shampoo and give it a shot after the first rinse. Let it sit 10 minutes and spray again. Any of the auto parts store carry engine shampoo.

Try not to hit the electrical parts alternator etc to hard

My two cents, works for myself.
KO 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I wash the coach, I always open the rear door and wash the sides of the door and the area around the opening. I'll wash some of the big items up front with a wash mitt and then spray the entire engine compartment with the hose/sprayer when I rinse.

If things get really dirty, I may hit it once a year, especially underneath, with a pressure washer. Just don't drill down on the electrical components. I do try to wash/rinse near the fan blades regularly where a lot of the road dirt collects.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #5

I spray the engine/tranny and the radiator/CAC with Simple Green HD ( safe for aluminum on the radiator) diluted at about a 1:3 ratio . Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and hose it off. Do it a couple times a year and keeps everything clean. Haven't had to use the pressure washer on it yet.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:17 AM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I spray the engine/tranny and the radiator/CAC with Simple Green HD ( safe for aluminum on the radiator) diluted at about a 1:3 ratio . Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and hose it off. Do it a couple times a year and keeps everything clean. Haven't had to use the pressure washer on it yet.
Your method using Simple Green HD is what is recommended by Freightliner for cleaning the radiator.

"RADIATOR CLEAN OUT METHODS BY FCCC
Dear Campers it has come to the attention of FCCC that the cleaning method suggested of the Radiators and Charge air cleaners are being questioned because of the radiators being made of ALUMINUM and PLASTIC and the cleaning product suggested. (Simple Green).
This product Simple Green is a effective cleaner and it is also biodegradable and when the Directions are followed limiting the contact time and rinsing well, Simple Green will not discolor or oxidize aluminum and is non corrosive, this product has been used for many years to clean aluminum, with no ill effects, it does not provide corrosion protection.
In military testing the product did cause discoloration and some oxidation when allowed to soak for many hours. It should also be noted that the mixture given is 3 parts hot water and 1 part simple green. Put this mixture in portable one gallon bug sprayer and apply to the outside of the radiator and to the outside of the charge air cooler and rinse thoroughly, repeat this process till rinse water becomes clear.
We have contacted the makers of simple green, Sunshine Makers, Inc about this and they have responded to FCCC with this information below:
Because of the possibility of misuse or improper rinsing we have developed another product that has been tested on metals, alloys, plastic, rubber, etc. This is the best retail product that we offer for cleaning aluminum. The product is called Simple Green Pro HD. It is readily available at Home Depot. This product formulation is based on the same formula as our Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and is actually faster acting, more aggressive and also provides corrosion protection during the cleaning process. The dilution ratio will be the same that you are currently using, and it does require a rinse, but it is much safer for aluminum. This product is also safe for plastic, rubber, painted and gel coated surfaces, carbon fiber, and will not discolor anodized aluminum.
They recommend the use of Simple Green Pro HD, you will be able to recognize it by the purple color and Label at Home Depot.
Still use the portable bug sprayer and keep the solution mixture the same, 3 parts hot water and 1 part Simple Green Pro HD. spray on the outside of the radiator and spray on the outside of the charge air cooler and rinse thoroughly repeat as necessary till clear water comes out. Hope this will help settle the debate on Simple Green usage on Radiators and charge air coolers."
Old 02-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #7

Thank you all for sharing your best practice.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Keep in mind that if you have a rear radiator coach, you should be cleaning the radiator and CAC thoroughly once a year to prevent overheating.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #9

I try to read all the posts on this forum and I am impressed with the knowledge of the Newmar owners. I do not have a Newmar dealer in Louisiana who wants to service my motorhome but I have you. Just look at the picture of my motorhome engine after following your best practice. Thank you so much.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5692.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	277632
Old 03-10-2020, 06:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks good very nice job 😀
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmdg02 View Post
I try to read all the posts on this forum and I am impressed with the knowledge of the Newmar owners. I do not have a Newmar dealer in Louisiana who wants to service my motorhome but I have you. Just look at the picture of my motorhome engine after following your best practice. Thank you so much.Attachment 277632
Can I make an appointment?
Looks great!
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmdg02 View Post
I try to read all the posts on this forum and I am impressed with the knowledge of the Newmar owners. I do not have a Newmar dealer in Louisiana who wants to service my motorhome but I have you. Just look at the picture of my motorhome engine after following your best practice. Thank you so much.Attachment 277632

Looks terrific! What product of cleaner did you use ? Hose or pressure washer?
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:52 AM   #13

I pretty much followed PanJW best practice.
I sprayed Simple Green HD (diluted 3:1) on the engine with a 2.5 gallon garden sprayer. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes (time to drink a beer) and then just hose it off. I used a leaf blower to dry the engine and as the last step I sprayed the engine with Gunk Engine Protector Shine. It leaves your engine with a protective layer that makes future clean-up easier.

Tags
engine