RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2017, 04:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How do you keep up with and track your preventative maintenance?

Curious to learn from others here in the Newmar Owner's section, what they're using to track and keep up with their preventative maintenance requirements?

As we all know, there are a lot of moving parts and equipment in our MHs that have multiple manufacturers' recommended preventative maintenance (PMs) requirements such that it can be a challenge to keep up with it all. Lots of moving parts.

So my questions are:

1) How do you track what is needed and when it's needed?, Do you have a means of consolidating everything so that you have one go to list or register of what is needed and when? i.e. HVACs, Water Heating Equip, Chassis, Power Train (eng./trans), Generator, etc. etc. by calendar dates/run hours/mileage, etc?

2) Once the PM have been performed, how to you track it such that you can easily monitor all that has been completed (when & by whom) as well as demonstrate it if need be (i.e. for warranty purposes)? Do you use a Log Book, maintain a computer spreadsheet or use some other type PC based application to track such? Do you also retain hard copies of such maintenance, etc.?

I'm presently using a large 3-ring binder to maintain copies of all my service records but have yet to find a method of consolidating all of the requirements (all systems, components that require such) for preventative maintenance planning and monitoring into one easy to access means?

NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2017, 04:56 AM   #2

What's wrong with what your doing ? I know people that could give a rip.

spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:56 AM   #3

Every year I bring the coach to freightliner in Gaffney SC and they perform the annual service. They know what to do and what is required. I go to NKK rally and have my oasis serviced annually and anything else fixed by Newmar service. I then keep all service records organized in a binder like you. You could drive yourself crazy worrying about every little thing the manuals tell you to do. However if the chassisís serviced and the oasis as well I think the key things are covered. Iíll be interested to see how others respond. Obviously I get up in the roof periodically to check the sealant.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:17 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rewillia,
Once a year I go to Newmar (Nappanee) and Spartan (Charlotte). I just keep the service order on what was done.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
What's wrong with what your doing ? I know people that could give a rip.
Nothing. I'm seeking to find a better means to keep up with all that's needed and when (more so than what's been done already). As we' all know, each component or system(s) manufacturer has their own preventative maintenance requirements - it's more a matter of consolidating all this information into one "go to" list thus making it a lot easier than having to refer to each separate component's owner's manual to seek out the information not to mention the need to keep up with when it needs to be done.

I suspect there are some (if not many) here in the forum whom have developed their own and better means of keeping up with so much information.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:26 AM   #6

You bring up a very good point. There are computer programs out there that can do this for you. It is a little labour intensive to keep it up to date but it does work. On the ships we use various programs such as Helmconnect, Maintelligence, NS5, . Try and google some of these.
steveoreano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi rewillia,
Once a year I go to Newmar (Nappanee) and Spartan (Charlotte). I just keep the service order on what was done.

Gary, I agree that's one way of getting the maintenance performed and I too adopted the same practice this past year when we took our coach back to Nappanee and had Newmar Service do both the annual House and Chassis service(s) but that did not get to everything. On the same note, while I appreciate the value of having Newmar's factory service do the maintenance it does not cover everything particularly those PMs that are required on a more frequent basis. It is also an additional cost driver in terms of time & mileage to return to Nappanee every year. (our home base is 1,100 miles from there).

As stated, there are other PMs such as the wet bay/water/waste/sewer systems, HVAC filtration, and other end-devices/systems that do require more frequent maintenance than annuals so I'm wanting to at least have one register compiled of all that is needed and when. Using that, I can then choose how to approach many of the PMs by having group maintenance works performed \ or separately based upon the frequency of such maintenance requirements.

For me, Its more the principle of consolidating all that is needed in one place as a easy "go to" that if nothing more will serve to remind me what I need to consider doing. Saying this, I do not expect to have the details of each maintenance requirement listed in one consolidated list or database, but more so, just the principle maintenance requirement which can then be found in the owner/operator manual or maintenance guide for the subject system or component.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #8

Rick with your goal in mind it is likely something that would be custom to each coach since the systems are different, even within the same model and floorpan since folks can do specials.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #9

Everything thing we do to the coach, chassis or coach is recorded on my iphone in notes. This includes everything! This works great for us, itís all digital and easily transferrable, should it need to be.
All the best to you,
Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Here's a neat trick if you use Google Drive.

Open your phone to Google Drive and take a picture of the receipt using the Google Drive app. It will convert the image to a PDF and upload it to your Google Drive account automatically.

I like PDF's because I can annotate and append to them. They can also be encrypted.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #11

Great Idea and thanks, I have been keeping photos of receipts in Ibooks! Waywards
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #12

I just make copies from the FL manual of services due. After services are complete and form filled out I staple the receipt for parts & file away. Things like Oasis, desiccant filter, DEF filter I just keep in my head.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #13

I keep receipts by date and use an Excel spread sheet to document
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 1.5" three ring binder that stays in the coach all the time. I keep the pages from the Freightliner service section in the binder. I also have two sheets/forms I made years ago for my previous coach and just updated to this coach. One form has all my filters and quantities of fluid the coach takes. The other form has all the things that get serviced with a corresponding box to mark the date it was done. I also keep a copy of the lube fitting guide for my chassis. When I get ready to service the coach, I bring out the binder, mark the dates and what was serviced. I also glance at the lube guide to make sure I don't miss any lube fittings.

The binder also contains:

-Chassis recall notices and receipts for repairs
-8"x10" Photos of all my fuses and their locations
-A copy of how to adjust the front MCD shades
-TST Tire monitor manual
-How to do a forced regen
-Cummins engine codes

Along with the above, I add anything to the folder that has instructions to repair or adjust something that I may need on the road. I know the coach came with the big black suitcase, but I don't want to have to dig through that for stuff that I use most often.

Basically, the binder is my brain book and I can pull it out when needed. I know a lot of people like logging things in their computer or making spread sheets, but I often find those get made and never used. When I'm covered in grease and doing my coach service, it's much easier to have a three ring binder there open to the lubrication page than a laptop.

I also prefer to read the instructions for adjusting the MCD shades from a sheet of paper while I'm adjusting them, than from a computer.

Just my method......

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, vent