Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #1

how do you keep your dutch star cool...

while going down the road?
I am considering a dutch star as well as a bus conversion and was wondering what you have to do to keep cool going down the road. Thanks for the help.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
while going down the road?
I am considering a dutch star as well as a bus conversion and was wondering what you have to do to keep cool going down the road. Thanks for the help.
If the dash air can't keep up, I run the generator and the forward roof AC. Never been hot enough to run both but that's an option also.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
In our DS 4369, the in dash AC is good for about 80F outside temperatures while blowing cool air on two of us in the front seats. After that, I fire the generator and one roof AC to help. Dogs panting is on other clue for me to start the generator
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
On our DSDP 4369 this summer with outside temps at 85 degrees, all we needed was the dash AC. One vent blowing on the dog next to my wife, she had a blanket on and I was comfy.
smoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Living in FL we routinely run generator with all 3 a/c's set in low 70'S. Makes for a nice cool coach when setting up at camp. I will say rarely do all 3 run at the same time due to the amazing insulation in these Newmars!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies!!!
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Travelling, we use the dash ac set on max cool mode to start out then may turn on the overhead front windshield defrost fans to low.
Our next step is to start the genie, turn the front roof air to on, fan set to manual high speed.(keeps air recirculating through the coach better than letting the ac kick on and off in auto mode)
If really hot, mid to low 90's, we turn on the rear roof ac in the same manner as the front roof ac.
When the outside temps are in the 90's, we frequently turn the fan of one roof ac on manual high and leave the other on auto mode which does help even out the inside temps.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #8

Our DS is by far the best insulated coach I've ever had. Frankly it is always hot, humid, windy in the Midwest during summer. We sometimes have temps near 100 and heat indexes beyond that. Just this last summer we were traveling on a very hot (98 deg) day and I started the day with dash only and added genny & two roof AC's. We later shut the second roof AC off as it was just not needed. My last two coach's could have had both roof AC's & dash and we were typically not comfortable past maybe 90 or so regardless.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Our KStar, dash air on max till about 85 outside. Then genny and roof air. One up front and bedroom door closed most of the time. Occasionally the rear air on days when outside temps get around 100+.
Improvements:
3M Crystaline windshield film, windshield and cockpit side windows.
Added R 8 insulation board to walls inside all cabinets, out of site.
2 12v computer fans to refrigerator vent
Use thick winter insulation pillows in Fantastic Vents.

Note: Newmar definitely, better insulted than some other brands. Parked in Abilene TX last summer for 3 days. Outside temp was 104. Sun shinning on large bay side window. The black frame on the INSIDE read 140 degrees.

Tags
dutch star