Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2018, 12:51 AM   #1

How do you store a long Stinky-Slinky w/ connections on both ends?

You old-time Newmar owners can tell I'm new to these coaches. And I'm sure you've already worked this out. So please share.

I'm used to "real" Stinky-Slinky storage tubes. You know, the ones that are long white PVC tubes that hang under the RV and are about 5" in diameter. You can stick just about any hose in there with fittings already attached at both ends. Open one end, pull the hose out, twist it onto your sewer connection, twist on a sewer dump adapter and fit the 90° elbow into the dump drain.

But apparently not on Newmars. The sewer hose storage tube on my 2008 Kountry Star 3623 isn't much larger than the hose itself. There's no way a bayonet fitting will fit inside the hole. Even the smallest diameter connector is way to large to fit. And then to make things even more "interesting," they put a 90° turn in the tube just a couple of feet in.

There is enough room at the outside for a bayonet connector connected to one end of the hose. But what about the hose end that goes into the hole first?

The previous owner of our coach used two Stinky-Slinkies. One was relatively short with bayonet connectors on both ends (one male, one female) that he curled around the rig's main sewer fitting when not in use. Then he put an extension hose in the sewer hose storage holder that had a female bayonet connection on one end (which fit the short hose's connector), and then a bare Valterra EZ Coupler on the other end. The bare EZ Coupler does fit inside the storage hole, and with a little twist of the hose, it makes the 90° turn and the hose goes all the way in.

But when you need to use that extension hose, you either stuff the open EZ Coupler down the sewer dump opening (not permitted in many RV parks), or you have to leave that end of the hose empty of any coupling for storage, and then thread on a 90° EZ fitting that has the proper fittings for various dump drains when you're ready to dump -- or connect to the dump.

There's got to be a better way. Or I'm missing something.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 06:13 AM   #2

My old coach has 2 slinky storage tubes, 1 on each side, but they won't allow anything but the bare slinky in them. So I have to thread the connectors on/off each time.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a tote with a cover and store all the connections/caps in it. If any residual "fluid" leaks from the hose, it's easy to rinse out.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I added a 5" fence post under mine as many of done. Stores 30ft if the valterra dominator plus the 90 elbow, and the 4inch adapter
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #5

You use RhinoFLEX hose and take the ends off to store.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have a macerator. The hose is about 12 feet long and is about the size of a garden hose but alot more flexible, it stores in a shoe box with its end securely capped closed. It can pump thru up to 150' of garden hose, and can pump up any rise you might concievably encounter.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use a tall kitchen plastic garabge can. I keep three ten foot hoses, one two foot hose and adapters in the can. It fits nicely in the rear compartment on the drives side. Also collects and liquids that might be left in the hoses. Easy to clean when needed.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #8

Thanks guys.

It looks like I haven't missed anything, it's a problem -- and none of the solutions are really elegant.

This afternoon I put a new Valterra Viper hose in the wet compartment. I got the longest one -- 15 ft. and it does store on the floor wrapped around the main sewer outlet connection. And to be honest, 15 ft. usually is enough.

When I need more, I'll do as several of you have suggested and just leave one end off the spare hose, and then thread it on when I need it.

Not a solution I like, but it'll work -- just takes longer to setup and take apart. Oh well. What else have I got to do?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-25-2018, 06:16 AM   #9

I simply rinse the hose, put the caps that came with the hose on each end and store them in the wet bay away from any water connections.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #10

Our generator compartment opens from the front, it looks like yours does too.

I took a 4' long piece of vinyl gutter, fastened it to the lower lip of the generator slide out to make a tray for the sewer hose to sit in. Long hose, caps on both ends, connector in the middle to vary hose length. Put it together with both caps on, it resists the tendency to "grow".

Works great, out of sight, readily available, open to the air, so no left over odors to annoy in the storage compartment.

Ours is 20' when connected together. We also use the built in "tunnel" in the side of the coach for a short 10' hose with no connector on the end as well. That one is mostly for dumping at dump stations, the long one is usually for hook up at the campsite.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #11

I made this one to store the RHinoFlex Hose without taking anything off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7735 1024 x 768.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	208398  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I have two slinkies with bayonet connectors on each end. I just loop the hose back into itself and connect the bayonet fittings together. No leaks. Then I store everything in a covered rubbermaid type storage container in one of the basement storage compartments.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Get the Blue Line fittings, they fit in the tube. That's what I used for our '02 DSDP, still using them in the present rig even though I have room for any of the others.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I simply rinse the hose, put the caps that came with the hose on each end and store them in the wet bay away from any water connections.
Yes, that's what I'm doing now. I've got a 15 ft. Valterra Viper hose with bayonet fittings on both ends that does coil up on that side. And it'll work fine -- up to 15 ft.

It's when I need an extension that I'm running into the problem. For now I'll just unscrew one end from the extension hose and then screw it in when I need it.

Clunky, but it'll work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]