Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #43

My Winnebago 27PE has the Ford 6.8 Litre V10 so I cannot speak intelligently about diesels. But mine has an 80 US Gal (approx 200 Litres) fuel tank and I always drive on the top half of the tank. As others above me have noted, you never know what experiences the road may throw at you, so why risk it?
The way I look at even if the closet fuel stop is say $0.20 more per gallon than the station you prefer then the difference in fuel cost for 80 gallons is only $16.00; or in the OP's worst case, the cost difference of 150 gallons x $0.20 is $30.00.
Is it worth risking being stranded and or causing severe damage to your fuel system for $30?
Not to mention the stress and angst fretting about mileage/fuel range anxiety about running out of fuel.

RV'ing is supposed to be enjoying a stress free experience, or as much as possible. Why put yourself through some self imposed stress over a few dollars?
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 03:49 AM   #44

I seldom check my mpg. I fill up near home when I'm returning from a trip. I feel like the tank accumulates less moisture when I keep it full.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:48 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyA View Post
Just a FYI question, I fill up almost exclusively at either Sam's or Costco - they have the best fuel prices and the parking lot is large enough for both the coach (Essex) and tow vehicle. Anyone else use them. No-one mentions them as an option for fuel. Thanks

Scott
If I could, I would use Bucky's forever - never seen anything like it. Never use Loves - rip-off - they are always 5 cents higher everywhere.
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:25 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
A little over 10,000 miles.

Memphis to Singapore

Oh, wait, wrong vehicle. Sorry.

LOL. How much fuel does that take?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:24 AM   #47

Diesel fuel systems are designed with return lines which circulate the fuel back to the tank. This unused fuel is cooling components like the injection pump, as well as assisting in keeping the air out. Running with a lower level of fuel in the tank causes more slosh, which stirs up more sediment that usually just stays on the bottom of the tank. Also there is more aeration (foaming) of the fuel, and the existing fuel has less time in the tank for the air to separate. So at very low tank levels, you are circulating this mixture into the fuel filters of whatever is using diesel at that time. If you don't often run your tank really low, that one time that you try it, could result in at least having to replace all your filters, or worse yet, an expensive tow and injection pump/injector repair bill. Diesel motorhomes that are parked for extended periods of time should have a full tank of fuel to reduce condensation inside the tank, and use a quality fuel treatment including a biocide agent to prevent microbial growth.
pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
LOL. How much fuel does that take?

About 300,000 lbs with reserves. Burned around 275,000. 20 hour flight.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rankin View Post
.........The problem with running a modern diesel is that the diesel fuel cools the fuel system. Run the diesel low on fuel and there is little fuel to cool the fuel system.
Help me here Steve. When you say "Run the diesel low on fuel" do you mean an empty tank sucking air and a little bit of residual fuel sloshing around in the tank? Otherwise, until the point when it starts sucking air, wouldn't the system be fully pressurized and full of fuel?
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #50

While how far you CAN go is of some interest, a much more relevant question is HOW FAR SHOULD I GO BEFORE REFUELING?

Diesel engines use fuel to cool and lubricate the fuel injection system. For every gallon that goes through the filters and pump, only a small percent is burned-- the rest goes back to the tank.

As fuel level gets lower, fuel temperature rises (the fuel remaining has made more "trips" through the engine). That means less cooling, and actually less HP. Have you ever noticed that acceleration after you add 500 pounds of fuel is actually slightly BETTER? Cooler fuel is the reason.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #51

I plan to fill at half full, get serious at a third full, and consider it empty at a quarter tank.

Below the quarter mark, you risk the generator quitting, plugging your filters, and using hot fuel.

My Foretravel has a 180 gallon tank and averages 8 mpg, give or take 1/4 mpg. The half tank mark is 720 miles. That’s what I shoot for.
tomlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #52

Single tank drive

2010 Winnebago Journey Express 39n, 340hp Cummins, 90 gallon tank. Driven 600 miles but limiting factor was being tired! Took 70-71 gallons as I recall…. The real issue is that the generator won’t run when I’m less than a quarter tank so I had to find a filling station before hitting “Camp Walmart” for the night. I dont usually run much under half a tank in practice. You really do NOT want to run out of diesel.
Frankieswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #53

Send a message via ICQ to BrianCindy Send a message via AIM to BrianCindy Send a message via Yahoo to BrianCindy Send a message via Skype™ to BrianCindy
Now, I know everybody has their own ideas about fuel, so let me give you all a little perspective based on being a Navy pilot and an airline pilot (just retired after 32 years). Fuel you didn't take, or runway you didn't use will just get you killed.

If you run below 1/2 tank of fuel, regardless of what you think is appropriate, in any conditions, you're setting yourself up for trouble. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it will bit you in the butt eventually.

I was given this advice when I started flying in the Navy and actually am alive to discuss it. I lost a roommate on my first deployment because they didn't watch their fuel and went swimming in the North Pacific.

Fought with dispatch while employed as an international pilot - always got my fuel and always made destination. There were those who decided to go with the dispatched fuel load and ended up diverting because of fuel problems (because they were STUPID).

That said, just for your perspective, if you don't plan on getting fuel around the 1/2 tank mark - you're setting yourself up for problems, and do you really need those problems just because you chose to "how far can you make it on one tank of fuel". If you're on the side of the road out of fuel with a DP - you're screwed. A gasser? Where are you going to get enough fuel to drive what, 100 miles to the next fuel stop.

Do what you want, but I don't take extra fuel tanks for some "intelligent" person out of fuel at the side of the road. I plan my fuel to fill up at the 1/2 tank mark - regardless of the fuel cost. I AM NOT ending up on the side of the road with my spouse just because I was stupid.

Take it for what it's worth but I've talked with folks on the side of the road without fuel and it ain't pretty. I can't help them, they just have to wait in the middle of nowhere until I get somewhere to make a phone call for them.

Enjoy your day.
BrianCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
I could not agree more than with WILDBILL. I never let my fuel go below 1/2 tank . A few years ago our Dutchstar broke down and we needed to be towed, it was a nice feeling knowing that we had 3/4 tank of fuel for the generator and the oasis. I also top off my DEF every time I am able to pull forward at at Loves, TA.
I was a big fan of seeing how far I could go then we broke down and had to rely on the genset big time for a couple of days. Sure was glad I had just filled up and now do not let it get too low
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #55

831 Miles, from SLC to Spearfish SD via West Yellowstone, Cody, Buffalo and Devils Tower on the way to the Black Hills. Tank accepted 138 gallons @ $1.99 a gallon. Everything had been flashing low fuel for a long time.
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Diesel engines use fuel to cool and lubricate the fuel injection system. For every gallon that goes through the filters and pump, only a small percent is burned-- the rest goes back to the tank. As fuel level gets lower, fuel temperature rises (the fuel remaining has made more "trips" through the engine). That means less cooling, and actually less HP. Have you ever noticed that acceleration after you add 500 pounds of fuel is actually slightly BETTER? Cooler fuel is the reason.

I wonder how my fuel gets back to the tank? I have traced the fuel line from the tank to the engine looking for any rubbing while going thru bulkheads etc, there is only one of them on my 06 XC Freightliner chassis. It would be really awesome if only a few percent of the fuel got burned by the engine and the rest just went back into the fuel tank, instead of 900 miles per tank, maybe I could get 1800 or more. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, single, tank