Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2022, 07:22 AM   #1

How is Newmar Quality These Days?

We are thinking about ordering a 2023. What is the quality like coming off the line these days? I have heard mixed opinions. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2022, 07:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I suspect some of the mixed reviews might be from comparing experience to "expectations". Although I am also sure there are a couple of people that do have more serious problems and frustrations. I have read some posts from folks that expect zero quality issues and compare this to buying a new car - not a reasonable expectation IMO.

I expected to find a couple dozen minor items and I did so I am happy. 1/3 of the items were paint related. Seems like the had a problem masking one of the strips and I had burgundy overspray on the cream colored base coat.

The rest of the items were minor (door adjustments, pump pressure adjustment, Nova awning adjustments). The biggest one was leaking hydraulic oil from the power pack. None of the items prevented us from using the coach multiple times in the first 4 months before bringing it in to the dealer for the punch list. They had it for 3 weeks - which was faster than my expectation. They fixed everything except 3 items. One was a Freightliner issue, one was not a quality but a personal preference on the height of the dining table. One is a mystery noise coming from the driver window - we are still trying to figure out the source.

We bought a new 2020 Kountry Star a couple years ago and the warranty list was a lot longer with a couple of items a little more serious.

So based on my experience with 2 Newmar's I would say the quality is the same or better. Maybe it is better because the Dutch Star is an upgrade from the Kountry Star - but I would hope Newmar applies the same quality standards to all the coaches regardless of the $$$.

I have also run into at least 5 people in campgrounds that have 2021 or 2022 Dutch Stars. None of them had any serious complaints.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #3

We recently took delivery of our 2022 Superstar 4059. Had it inspected by a 3rd party Tier 1 RVIA inspector. He said the coach had the fewest number of flagged items of any new rig he has inspected. Fewer than a dozen items were noted and all of them were minor cosmetic issues, ie. Clear coat Overspray on a couple of panels. He said overall it had the best fit and finish of any new builds he had seen. 3 weeks in so far and we are very happy with our new coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABE864B6-7FBD-4262-A8A3-6F858A31DD4A.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	781.0 KB
ID:	365278   Click image for larger version

Name:	EE2F446F-37F5-4835-81A7-67D6378DC74E.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	666.2 KB
ID:	365279  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8282ED4B-73CA-4039-B03A-2615E5EA7A3C.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	620.6 KB
ID:	365280  
Old 05-12-2022, 09:49 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
We are thinking about ordering a 2023. What is the quality like coming off the line these days? I have heard mixed opinions. Thanks!

That's just it, it's all anecdotal, and the sample size is limited. If you want to spend a bunch of money on a perfect product, RVs are not for you. Everyone seems to be having some struggle with their products these days, but I can't remember a time when they weren't. I would love a perfectly working rig straight out of the dealer, but I don't expect it yet. Someday, maybe.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:27 AM   #5

How is Newmar Quality These Days?

We have a 2022 LA we picked up in September of 2021, 13,500 miles to date. Purchased from NIRVC Lewisville.
Week before last was the first time we were back in for service, full 12,000 mile maintenance and about 6 or 8 warranty issues all small. If your dealer does a good PDI, most issues should be caught and addressed before you take delivery.
For us, quality is just as good as our 2019.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2021 Dutch Star 4369 that we took delivery on last July. we now have over 13,000 miles and it's been great.
65pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
We have a 2021 DSDP 4369. There have been a few repairs but most repairs were not Newmar issues. We had a problem with the Oasis system that IRT diagnosed and sent me repair parts. Had an issue with the hydraulic jacks sensor which NIRVC repaired. These items are not Newmar issues they are third party vendor issues.

The items that are controlled by Newmar we have had very little concern.

I will say the question you should be asking is what dealer takes care of your concerns when you do, and you will, have issues.

I can positively say that NIRVC will take care of you and your coach.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:53 PM   #8

Fishrsafe, what did you do about the overspray issues? Did Newmar correct the paint?
Old 05-12-2022, 06:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
It’s a mixed bag.

I just completed a week at Camp Newmar having a few issues handled under warranty. We personally have had just the best luck with our ‘21. However, others haven’t been quite so lucky. It seems at times little more than luck of the draw. The best thing that can be said is the Service Center does excellent work and they will absolutely make you whole to the best of their ability. They are a great bunch of people who care about their product and their customers.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Although we have just taken delivery - and only driven it home to Virginia from the mother ship - I have zero real complaints, this may change in the next few weeks during the shake down cruise to Colorado.

I have noticed a couple of paint issues - kind of surprised they didn't see and correct prior to pick up - but really not deal breakers. This is our third Newmar - first factory pick up. Not nearly the number of issues as the previous machines.

Only issue so far was the nav system - had the HDMI cable in the wrong port and the XM radio dongle was not installed. I will say the wiring in the dash is really sad - just layers and layers of wires with zero labels - will be a nightmare to trouble shoot in the future.

The tech that did the hand off said they had had the coach in the shop nearly three weeks - detailing and resolving issues - I think the factory pick up was worth it at this point.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Fishrsafe, what did you do about the overspray issues? Did Newmar correct the paint?
Our dealer Sport Truck in Arizona contracted a paint correction company to take care of the few areas of concern. Clay barred, buffed polished and we’re all good to go. Newmar approved the warranty claim as it was pointed out in the inspection report.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhexpert View Post
I will say the wiring in the dash is really sad - just layers and layers of wires with zero labels - will be a nightmare to trouble shoot in the future.
I would agree that Newmar scores low points for neat and clean routing of wires and plumbing. I have rerouted many things to clean up areas and prevent future chafing: wires hanging in front of sanicon valve, wires to Dometic cooler, heater hoses chafing on generator side.....
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:37 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We have owned two Newmar coaches…2018 Ventana 4369 and our new 22 Dutch Star 4369. The 2018 had only 2 annoying issues that Newmar fixed (tank sensors and front door closure issue). The Dutch Star is perfect in every aspect!

What I have observed on this owners forum are owners that 1. expect 100% perfection and 2. Have zero idea how systems on board work and blame everyone except themselves. 100% perfection is a pipe dream on any consumer product especially a 42000 pound moving condo. Preventative maintenance is key to owner satisfaction IMO. Good luck.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
I would agree that Newmar scores low points for neat and clean routing of wires and plumbing. I have rerouted many things to clean up areas and prevent future chafing: wires hanging in front of sanicon valve, wires to Dometic cooler, heater hoses chafing on generator side.....
I would agree 100% on this. But Newmar does get high marks for its service center.
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, quality